Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "No glock fired"

Boolit Bub

"No glock fired"

I saw a post just now from a vender selling brass....btw a heck of a buy if you needed brass(I'm sitting on more then I need). Anyway the post mentioned "no glock fired". I can only assume they meant none fired from a glock, but why should that matter? Is there something I'm missing? Being a Glock owner myself I'd like to know the difference.

Thanks, GN

Boolit Master

Many times with "glocked" brass, there is a pronounced belly where it was unsupported over the feed ramp.

Some feel that even though it can be ironed out, it has been weakened too much to use.

These bulges must be removed, to make ammunition feed reliably.

Brandon
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master
    Some Glocks have oversized chambers

Some people have had bad brass from Glocks. But if you inspect your brass visually as well as with case gauges you wont have issues. The unsupported chamber can cause a case bulge or in severe instances cracks in the case where it is unsupported. Bottom line check your completed rounds for bad rounds.
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Banned
    I've been reloading 9mm brass fired from a couple of different Glock pistols for years and I have never had a problem with the rounds chambering. Out of thousands of rounds fired, I had 1 (one) casing that blew out just forward of the extractor groove. The bullet left the barrel but the slide didn't cycle. The guy firing the gun knew he had a malfunction but didn't know what to do. I took the pistol, dropped the mag, forced the slide open and cleared the gun. After field stripping the pistol and making sure the barrel was not obstructed; I reassembled the pistol. The gun (A Glock Model 19) suffered no damage and shoots fine to this day. I have no idea how many times that particular casing had been reloaded but it could have been well over a dozen.
    I've heard rumor that the .40 S&W Glocks are more prone to "bulge" the casing but I've shot thousands of rounds through a Glock model 22, including a lot of reloaded brass from different Glocks and have never seen a problem.
    I do believe Glock chambers are intentionally a bit on the large side to allow them to function in adverse conditions. (dirty gun, dirty ammo, slightly out of spec ammo, etc.) I've never had a problem with casings so damaged by being fired in a Glock that they couldn't be resized and reloaded. And by the way, Glock isn't the only pistol with unsupported areas at the rear of the chamber.

Boolit Master

No, glocks aren't the only ones with the issue, just the most visible.

40s are much worse than 9s...

Iirc, the earlier glocks were much worse than current models.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

The S&W Sigma was the absolute worst, was difficult to even resize them, I wouldn't even take brass from Sigma guys. I had no problem with the older Glock brass. Lots of guys had them at the Armored truck place I worked at where we had our own range, reloaded lots of them. With lead bullets too, never had a problem. I actually found the chambers to be tighter than your average pistol.

Boolit Bub
    Ok, I was just curious because I have both a Glock 26(which I carry) and a 92 FS, I've shot rounds out of my Glock then turned around and reloaded them and shot them through my 92 and have never noticed and "bulging"(prior to loading) or experienced any issues during shooting.

Banned
    S&W Sigma
    /\ There's your problem !

Boolit Grand Master

I've read the only real problem was/is the 40 S&W brass fired in a Glock...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned
    Yea but I've shot a LOT of 40 S&W in Glocks and never had a problems with reloaded brass.

There may be little anti-Glock component to the bulged-brass rumor..... Not sure, but it was on the internet so it must be true.
    Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Buddy
    Has nothing to do with fanboys or haters, Glocks in .40 can be hard on brass. I get a lot of police range brass and it is not a rumor the bulges are there , mostly on 40S&W, occasionally other calibers. I haven't seen a Sigma do this, but have seen some
    "upper end" 1911's bulge brass, its all in the feedramp cut.
    AR15 goes bang, AK47 goes bang, Mosin goes boom...

Boolit Master
    Earlier Federal brass that was marked FC was a problem in 40. Now all 40 brass has Federal written on it.

Boolit Bub
    Ok so this started out as a knock on glock in 9mm, then rolled into being an issue only seen in 40S&W glock. Then it's been noticed in Sigmas quite regularly. Now it's mostly 40, occasionally other cartridges even high end 1911s........ No offense to anyone here, I have great admiration and respect for those who know their craft. In the short time I've been on this twisting wet rock I've fired every pistol caliber under the sun and nearly every maker, rifle rounds too. I have also spoken to many people from all walks of life and dug brass from every hole in the world you could think it would be found. As bulged brass goes I have found it has usually been attributed to abnormal peaks in pressure, or weak cartridge walls. I'm not calling anyone here a teller of tall tales, I'm simply stating that I have never witnessed this without it being logically excused. Personally I don't see how one gun maker(now several) can manufacture a firearm with a slightly oversized chamber(or one that is "unsupported"(whatever that means)) and still be within safety guidelines, yet casings are bulging every time they are fired. I am inclined to agree with petrol & powder that these now abundant "issues" are anti-whatever someone doesn't like firearm, caliber, what have you and then posts it online; where some "gun guy" who sees it and instead of trying for themselves they perpetuate the rumor mill.

Maybe there is some validity to these claims, I don't know. I do know that it can't be this wide spread among some of the most common and frequently purchased firearms and calibers including high end 1911s. I'm sorry to keep coming to that key phrase, I just have an awful time admitting that say....a Kimber, would be doing this considering those are "custom made" guns. When I think of a high end 1911 that is the firearm that POPS into my head. They are notorious for their custom 1911, they start out at $1100 for Pete's sake. They can't possibly be bulging manufactured ammo with every trigger pull, they have incredible tolerances and accuracy ratings, and you KNOW that a bulging case issue is going to have an affect on accuracy. I don't know; I could be wrong; I just have a real hard time believing SO MANY CLAIMS across so many lines.

Banned
    A lot of semi auto pistols have "unsupported ?" chambers, whatever that really means and that includes almost any 1911 that doesn't have a ramped barrel. I agree that bulging cases are more likely a factor of pressure than the gun they're fired in. I have thousands of .40 S&W casings, the vast majority of which were fired in Glocks and no problems. The web portion of a pistol cartridge casing may not be totally surrounded by steel when the cartridge is locked in the breach but the casing is more than strong enough to handle normal operating pressures. A lot of this Glock-fired bad brass is just thinly disguised Glock bias.

When the Berretta 92 replaced the holy 1911 the stories about the failures of the Berretta where incessant. I put thousands of rounds through an Italian 92SB and then thousands more through a U.S. made 92 F and never had a problem. A lot of those rounds were 124 NATO loads. I guess either I had really good pistols or the tales of the catastrophic failures were a bit exaggerated.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 06-07-2014 at 11:32 PM.

Boolit Master

Getting any "truth" out of a Glock fan boy is very unlikely. The early 40 S&W Glocks had problems and nobody in the business will deny this.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mpmarty View Post
    Getting any "truth" out of a Glock fan boy is very unlikely. The early 40 S&W Glocks had problems and nobody in the business will deny this.
    That is what I heard. The Gen 3 and later have better supported chambers. I have two gen 3 G23, one gen 3 G19, one gen 2 G22, and one gen 4 G27. I've loaded about 8,000 rds of .40 ammo. Even with one Gen 2 .40 I have never experienced the Glock "bulge, belly, smile". And I picked up quite a bit of .40 brass over the last 20 years. It must happen for some but I think it is older guns and now the legend is larger than fact.

Boolit Buddy
    I've never seen a .40 s&w glock that doesn't bulge the brass at least a little.

I've also never reloaded a pistol cartridge, so I have no first hand knowledge on how this affects the safety or longevity of the brass. I do know that many many reloaders use glock brass without giving it a second thought.

Banned
    I just went and looked at a couple dozen 40 S&W casings that were fired in Glocks. Pulled them at random out of a batch of 500+. Looked fine to me. I'm not saying that the issue never occurs but I do believe it's greatly exaggerated and possibly motivated by a bit of anti-Glock sentiments.
    I never hated Glocks but it took a long time for me to warm up to them. I'm not a huge Glock fan, to me a Glock is just a utilitarian tool. It is however, a very reliable tool and that trait has tremendous merit.

By the way, I also have a H&K P7 which has a fluted chamber. I've been told by more than one self proclaimed gun expert that the spent brass from that pistol can never be reloaded. That's also total BS but of course I was reloading casings from that gun before anyone told me it wouldn't work.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_nut83 View Post
    Ok so this started out as a knock on glock in 9mm, then rolled into being an issue only seen in 40S&W glock. Then it's been noticed in Sigmas quite regularly. Now it's mostly 40, occasionally other cartridges even high end 1911s........ No offense to anyone here, I have great admiration and respect for those who know their craft. In the short time I've been on this twisting wet rock I've fired every pistol caliber under the sun and nearly every maker, rifle rounds too. I have also spoken to many people from all walks of life and dug brass from every hole in the world you could think it would be found. As bulged brass goes I have found it has usually been attributed to abnormal peaks in pressure, or weak cartridge walls. I'm not calling anyone here a teller of tall tales, I'm simply stating that I have never witnessed this without it being logically excused. Personally I don't see how one gun maker(now several) can manufacture a firearm with a slightly oversized chamber(or one that is "unsupported"(whatever that means)) and still be within safety guidelines, yet casings are bulging every time they are fired. I am inclined to agree with petrol & powder that these now abundant "issues" are anti-whatever someone doesn't like firearm, caliber, what have you and then posts it online; where some "gun guy" who sees it and instead of trying for themselves they perpetuate the rumor mill.

Maybe there is some validity to these claims, I don't know. I do know that it can't be this wide spread among some of the most common and frequently purchased firearms and calibers including high end 1911s. I'm sorry to keep coming to that key phrase, I just have an awful time admitting that say....a Kimber, would be doing this considering those are "custom made" guns. When I think of a high end 1911 that is the firearm that POPS into my head. They are notorious for their custom 1911, they start out at $1100 for Pete's sake. They can't possibly be bulging manufactured ammo with every trigger pull, they have incredible tolerances and accuracy ratings, and you KNOW that a bulging case issue is going to have an affect on accuracy. I don't know; I could be wrong; I just have a real hard time believing SO MANY CLAIMS across so many lines.
    Photo of Glock bbls. Barrel on left produced "bulge" due to large feed ramp, AKA unsupported chamber. Took me a bit of research...http://media.photobucket.com/user/Ma...g.html?filters[term]=glock%20custom%20barrel&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=1

Later...
    Link doesn't work, but I went to google, searched "Glock pictures barrel" and got several hits of pictures of Glock barrels/chambers showing "unsupported chamber"; a portion of the case above the head isn't supported by the chamber walls. Yep, it's real, not Glock bashing...
    Last edited by mdi; 06-08-2014 at 12:13 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast