Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Foam insulation as filler?

Boolit Buddy

Foam insulation as filler?

Hi guys,

I am going to be loading my .45-70 with a load that will leave some air in my case.

Furthermore, following the advice of those on this forum, I won't be crimping the case to save the patch.

I have to fill the case though with something, because I will be loading them into a tube magazine 1886. Spring pressure might push the boolit back into the case.

Rather than fiddle with cream of wheat, has anyone here used foam insulation? I'm talking about the 3/8" sized tubes you can snip to length and drop into the case.

in Remebrance
    You can use a sizer to put a "taper" crimp on the end of the neck. Shouldn't have any problem from spring pressure moving the boolit. Can't address use of foam insulation, research on this forum should give you some info. The only filler I'm slightly experienced with is dacron. Do some serious reading before you stuff something extra on top of your charge. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Cant get a post in...will try later.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Keep getting the "NOT ACCEPTABLE" message.

Boolit Master
    One way I have dealt with this problem is to apply a crimp canelure in the body of the case at the point where you want the base of the bullet to rest.
    I do this with several calibers so you can just drop the boolit in and it will stop at the depth of the canelure in the case in unsized cases.
    I apply the canelure using a simple spacer and a Lee factory crimp die.
    The spacer is cut from either tubing or other larger cases and cut to the correct length so that when it is slipped over the case it engages the case rim as a stop and with the two together inverted and pressed into the FCD from the top then the ram with shell holder run up to engage the die enough to apply the amount of crimp desired. The spacer will act as a stop at both ends. It stops at the case rim and at the FCD top to locate the crimp in the correct spot on the case.
    That was hard to describe but really easy to do. With the crimp applied your case will have the appearance of the old timey ammo with a crimp canelur in the mid portion of the case.
    This system works very well and with it I have loaded some very accurate target quality ammo.
    If I have not described the procedure so that it can be understood don't be shy to say so and I will try to do better.
    I can see it in my head and how simple it is to do but maybe my ability to put it into words is somewhat lacking.

Boolit Buddy
    Bullshop, that's a really interesting idea - what tubing do you mean? I don't have cases larger than .45-70, so what might you recommend?

Do you have a photo of how it looks when you do this?

Boolit Master
    The tubing can be anything hard enough and of large enough diameter to slip over the case but not too large in diameter that it wont stop on the rim. It can be metal, plastic, cardboard or what ever you can find that is the correct diameter for the case your loading. You could even take a piece of light gauge shim stock and roll it around a case and tape it or solder it to the right diameter. If you cant find anything at home lying about just take a 45/70 case to the hardware store and look around and see what it will fit. Copper tubing, or PVC, or ? I mean it can be as simple as a tampon applicator tube. (hope that wont get me in trouble)
    Sorry but no pictures available. I am computer challenged and just posting without help is my limit. One caution though, run the press ram up first then screw the FCD down to slowly adjust the amount of crimp. If you first use all the crimp adjustment you have your case may end up looking like an hour glass. Screw it in slowly a little at a time and try after each adjustment until you have just enough "CHOKE" to positively hold the boolit.
    I think you have the idea now so just use your imagination.
    Last edited by Bullshop; 06-06-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Boolit Master
    I should add that the appearance on the cases crimped in this manner look much like factory ammo today for cartridges from yesterday. What I mean is that todays current loadings for cartridges that were originally black powder but are now loaded with smokeless have this mid case crimp for this exact reason to keep the bullets from being pushed into the case. You still see this on some current loadings of 45/70, 45 Colt and some of the other originally black powder cartridges.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdawg_shooter View Post
    Keep getting the "NOT ACCEPTABLE" message.

This place is having SERIOUS server problems in different parts of the country.
    I have been off-line for over 2 days!

banger

Boolit Master
    I have used the foam you are talking about just to see how it would work..
    It works but I see no need for it when I can just fill up the case with powder to the base of the bullet using PP..

If I am not going to fill the case up and shoot lower vel. I use greasers and expand the case .001" under bullet dia..
    You could do the same with PP if you wanted to..
    ie. size down your case (just the neck) and expand it with a custom expander just smaller than your PP bullet dia.

To be honest I see no reason to shoot PP at low vel. when greasers work just fine even with soft alloy..
    Last edited by Nrut; 06-07-2014 at 12:08 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Fill the case with Rice Krispies cereal over powder and seat boolit. The cereal will crush and fill the air space. Smells like baked cookies when fired and
    will leave a clean polished bore.
    webfoot10

FINALLY! Able to log in! Tried to post this 2 days ago. I do not use filler. I choose a powder slow enough to give 100%+ load density at the velocity i am looking for. The slower pressure prevents distortion from acceleration. I get the best accuracy that way.

Boolit Man
    Using a full charge powder is recommended... HOWEVER component prices and availability make one want to use a less bulky powder and get more loads, so we gotta use some kind of filler and I haven't used any filler but dacron over 2400 loads, so hesitate to go back to PP again even though I 'might' be able to find some 5744. Just saying.