WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Pump shotgun shooting technique

Boolit Man

Pump shotgun shooting technique

I just received a savage 320 shotgun as a gift for my 50th birthday. It came with 25 rounds of 00 buck and some 3inch slugs. I fired some light skeet loads and then some of the buck loads. It seemed to me that the gun was unlocking the bolt to soon. It comes open during the recoil phase of the shot. It would make for a fast second shot. I have 2 pump guns and try to push forward on the fore stock and back into the shoulder at the same time with my trigger hand. I only remember my other shotgun unlocking during recoil was when I tried out a 3 inch 2 oz #4 shot turkey loads. They hurt. I know to work the bolt with vigor and determination all the way back and then hard to lockup. It is firmly locked prior to the shot. Just seems to unlock really fast after the shot goes off.and is usually part way open after the shot. I have cleaned the gun several times and do not see anything amiss in the bolt area. ? Any ideas ???

Boolit Master

IMO normal. I believe as soon as you release the trigger the bolt is unlocked, maybe this gun just has a shorter reset.

Boolit Master
    I have an old (mid 60s) Hi Standard that does the same thing. Normal, as far as I know.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Banned
    The action is released (capable of being opened) the moment the hammer is released. Just because the action is capable of opening doesn't mean the action is UNLOCKED at the moment of firing. The bolt is still locked at the time of firing even if the action is capable of moving at that same instant. I don't believe you are experiencing a malfunction of any sort. By the time the gun recoils the shell has obviously fired and the action opening at that moment in time is not only normal but perfectly safe.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 06-15-2014 at 08:04 AM.

Boolit Master

The action may or may not be unlocked at the moment the firing pin is released depending on the model. Do this to test. With the gun cleared, close the action and release the safety. Point in a safe direction with no hand on the forend. Note the position of the action release button. pull the trigger. Note the position of the action release button. Did it move? Is the action now unlocked? Now cycle the action and put firm rearward pressure on the forend. Pull the trigger while holding back on the forend. Note the position of the action release button. Did it move? Is the action now unlocked? Now cycle the action and push the forend firmly toward the muzzle and hold. Pull the trigger. Note the action release button. Did it move? Is the action unlocked? Some guns require the forend to move slightly toward the muzzle upon firing to unlock the action. This happens normally as the gun recoils back and the inertia of the forend keeps it still for a split second. My mossberg will not unlock if holding back on the forend. It must move forward slightly first. The action being open after firing doesn't mean its unlocking too soon. It typically just means the action is unlocking during recoil and the inertia of the bolt and forend is causing it to open. If it worries you then have a gunsmith check it out.

Boolit Man
    Thanks Guys. thought for sure something was wrong. I will be lucky to shoot it a hundred times. I have three others and my favorite is the single shot 20 gauge from h&r. We do not have much of a pheasant population any more and they are my favorite bird. Thanks again.!!

Boolit Master
    The Winchester 1200, 1300 and all its current design descendants * with a rotating bolt design, do not have a slide inertia lock. This is essentially a semi-auto design (aka Winchester 1400), without the gas system and return spring.

*Winchester Speed Pump
    *Winchester SXP
    *Stevens 320
    *FN P12

I had the same experience first time I shot hand-loaded slugs in my Win 1200. It was a big surprise, but not out of the ordinary.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

Some models just keep trigger depressed and pump fast. From the hip they called 'em 'streetsweepers'.

Speed! The quick release is why a pump can be worked so rapidly. How else are you going to nail three decoying ducks dead in the air before the first one splashes down? Managed that only once with my Mossberg 500, though. There is also something rather intimidating about the sound of a pump shotgun being racked.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RMc View Post
    The Winchester 1200, 1300 and all its current design descendants * with a rotating bolt design, do not have a slide inertia lock. This is essentially a semi-auto design (aka Winchester 1400), without the gas system and return spring.

*Winchester Speed Pump
    *Winchester SXP
    *Stevens 320
    *FN P12
    Inertia slide locks were incorporated into slide action designs to deal with hang fires. Apparently, the hang fire phenomena had become so rare by the early 1960s that Winchester engineers deemed it unnecessary.

Does your slide action have an inertia slide lock?

Here is how to check: Make sure your shotgun is unloaded, close the action and release the safety. Then pull rearward on the forend. Then, with the shotgun pointed in a safe direction, pull the trigger. If an inertia slide lock is present the action will remain locked until the forend is moved slightly forward and then rearward. If no inertia slide lock is present, the forend will move rearward as soon as the hammer drops.

In ordinary use, recoil will release the inertia lock so fast that it is virtually unnoticeable.
    Last edited by RMc; 06-11-2014 at 03:15 PM.