Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Information On Marlin Production

Information On Marlin Production

This is an article from the July, 2014 issue of SHOT Business, a trade publication of the NSSF. It gives an overview of Remington's plans for the Marlin line of rifles. The information coincides with what the Remington reps told us at the SHOT Show in January

http://shotbusiness.org/marlin-makes-comeback/

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Well I hope he gets a nice bonus for that poo sandwich he served. How many incorrectly timed barrels and wood gaps so large you can almost see the guts take before someone yelled whoa! I am not buying it for one second, business model full speed ahead. Well it appears the ugly truth of the sub standard product they shoved out the door has come home to roost. I understand the business model of required profit and am sympathetic to ones growing pains, but it appears to me that no one at Ilion has/had any QC capability or they never held a pre Remlin. Broad brush- Cheaper wood, cheaper finish, nothing lines up. I will be holding my breath on the we're back part!

Boolit Master

I had an opportunity to handle one of the new manufactured 1894 in .44 mag today......... good wood/metal fit, nice job finishing both. The action was as good if not better than any Marlin I own. One weird aspect, on the left side of the frame was a rollmark that looked like a midget barcode.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

In Remembrance
    That article actually sound right to my way of thinking.

I have a 44mag but was made in 81 from someone I know and love it ,I got a 336 30-30 and it was no problem it is new when I got it this year.This is a good to know what is going in the company.Need to see what will happend in time now.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned

My new 30-30 is perfect and I have done less then an inch at 100 with cast. Even when it gets so hot I burned my thumb on the barrel, it continues to group, better then the old ones.
    I want to see the 39 Mounty to come back.
    I hope they dump the 1 in 38" twist of the .44.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the link, rings true to me but it will take time and good product to win over the naysayers. Some will never agree but that leaves more good leverguns for the rest of us.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    I had an opportunity to handle one of the new manufactured 1894 in .44 mag today......... good wood/metal fit, nice job finishing both. The action was as good if not better than any Marlin I own. One weird aspect, on the left side of the frame was a rollmark that looked like a midget barcode.
    Where would this have been?

None of the LGS locally are able to get any as they show 'allocated'...

Have seen none on GB yet either...

Boolit Master
    Compounding the difficulties, Remington discovered dimensioned drawings of Marlin’s iconic rifles did not exist. The plans at North
    Haven had simply been passed down through the generations. Many of these workers hadn’t made the move to Ilion, so much of that inherent
    knowledge had been lost. “We were training a new workforce to build these rifles,” says Fink

Go figure...............

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not going to hold my breath, but am hopeful that they will turn out a good product. It's not like the designs or calibers are new.

The 1895G i looked at last weekend was good in regards to wood to metal fit and finishing. It was decently smooth for a new gun. I already have an 1895GS and didnt need a new one, but any big bore Marlin makes my heart pitter patter.

Boolit Master
    Remington is doing it despite all the haters in the gun "community."

They just need to work on their stock finishes. Not that marlin had that before remington.

They are intending to keep the proprietaries too. I wonder if they will ever go through their custom shop for some?

Thanks for the link.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

As it says over on the Marlin Owners board:

Friends should not let friends buy a Remlin.

Until the QC is better than 50%, I'll stick with my 2002, 1979, and 1949
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    In the "Hard Copy" of the magazine they featured various pictures of a new Marlin rifle with nice gold inlays and a huge gap between the forend and the receiver! I couldn't believe they posted this picture showing terrible workmanship.

You can see it here:

http://issuu.com/shotbusiness/docs/junjul2014
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master

Deminsional drawings? I'm sure they existed, but perhaps not in the form needed for computers. I seem to recall that when they bought Marlin, they said they wouldn't be moving anything, just making things better. Then, they moved the whole plant, so the 'tenured' workforce decided to simply retire, and there goes all the senior workforce. I read so many missteps in that little article that it was not funny. If there was a worst step to take, Remington seemed to have taken it. Of course, they are going to keep the brand going. They have shareholders to answer to, and if they closed the line down after all the capital outlay, the board would be changed overnight. When I was a kid, Remington was a top brand, but now, they seem to have settled for 'just good enough'. Kinda sad, actually.

Boolit Master

Bucyrus, Ohio. Baker Brothers. Brad Stuckman, Proprietor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salmoneye View Post
    Where would this have been?

None of the LGS locally are able to get any as they show 'allocated'...

Have seen none on GB yet either...
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Latest issue of Rifle magazine has an article on Remlins. Writing how they've turned the corner and how from now on all production would be good quality, all accompanied by a photo of the latest crappy wood/metal fit. Shame on them.

Boolit Master
    Yeah that stock is rough. I just want a tight plainjane model is 38-55

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Since the controversy about "Remlin" rifles began, my trusty gun browsing friend and I have been examining every Marlin rifle with Remington proofmarks we could find in the Carson City/Reno area. Between the two of us there is about 120 years of bothering firearms dealers. So far, we haven't seen any rifles that we would throw out of the gunsafe. Of course both of us have more Marlin, Savage, and Winchester lever actions than we have room for, so additions to our accumulatons may progress slowly. The other guy seems to be stuck on being a compulsive pistol buyer. I am in the market for a Henry .45/70, but they are hard to find so I could possibly end up with a "Remlin." From what I have seen in the current stocks in this area that wouldn't bother me a bit. I just can't find any poorly fitted or finished stocks, cattywampus sights, or any other horrors making the rounds.

I didn't post this to start an argument, so this will be my last post in this thread.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master
    I agree, no bad ones have come through my hands. But compared to older models the new ones fit and finish are noticably worse. Small gun shops will unbox, inspect, and place the new weapons on a rack. Customers will fondle and critique. Any junkers would be found out and sent back to supplier.

Now if you go to Sportsmans, Cabellas, or Scheels in Sparks the chances of getting a NIB unknown is likely. It may sound like I'm down on Marlin, I'm not just at Remmington's business practice. I hope they suceed and maybe break back off and take T/C with them and bring back American Motors while they are at it.

On a side note does anybody know if they are sticking with Microgroove with the new machinery?

Quote Originally Posted by NVcurmudgeon View Post
    Since the controversy about "Remlin" rifles began, my trusty gun browsing friend and I have been examining every Marlin rifle with Remington proofmarks we could find in the Carson City/Reno area. Between the two of us there is about 120 years of bothering firearms dealers. So far, we haven't seen any rifles that we would throw out of the gunsafe. Of course both of us have more Marlin, Savage, and Winchester lever actions than we have room for, so additions to our accumulatons may progress slowly. The other guy seems to be stuck on being a compulsive pistol buyer. I am in the market for a Henry .45/70, but they are hard to find so I could possibly end up with a "Remlin." From what I have seen in the current stocks in this area that wouldn't bother me a bit. I just can't find any poorly fitted or finished stocks, cattywampus sights, or any other horrors making the rounds.

I didn't post this to start an argument, so this will be my last post in this thread.

Boolit Grand Master

I have one of the last 1894Cs made before they shut production down. Cabela's all across the US seemed to get a run of these rifles. Mine has worked flawlessly for two years now. The wood to metal finish is fine. It's a field gun for me and as long as it shoulders and shoots well that's all I care about. There is a small gap and the fore-end is a little chunky. But these are minor. Everyone seems to forget that the New Haven plant turned out turds and not every rifle was perfect. Moving forward w/ modern machining the rifles that Remington produces should be better than the old ones. I don't get hung up on names or who owns what brands. As long as the rifle shoots well I'm happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast