Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mag-Lite corrosion cleanup suggestions

Before you try to clean it, call the battery manufacturer and ask if they will replace it.

http://www.duracell.com/en-us/batter...tery-guarantee

http://www.rayovac.com/Contact-Us/Wa...Guarantee.aspx

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Send the flashlight and batteries back to the battery mfgr. They'll replace it free.
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    It is hard to imagine that it wasn't untill the 16th post that Wilgen lights came up. With the best custom lights being offered for sale here on CB, it is impossible to imagine another mag-lite in this Family.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

I've sent battery operated devices to the battery company and they didn't replace anything.
    They cleaned the contacts and neutralized the crud.

Boolit Buddy

MagLite has a deal with Eveready and Duracell that the flashlight is returned to them for replacement. When I had to do it, it was to Canada. Postage was NOT cheap!
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Super Moderator

Throw away the Mag-Light, and get a new one. They are good flashlights and will take a beating. I own several, in various sizes. If you plan on using for emergency uses (as I do) you should replace it. Just my $.02.

Boolit Grand Master

Buy a Streamlight, problem solved
    I stopped buying MagLite because they're LED lights aren't solid enough. After awhile you have to start tapping one the light to get it to come on. And then it goes off at wrong time. The regular lights are fine and I still use them w/ no issues.

As far as corrosion, a little Coke will clean it up if you wanted to do it yourself.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Keep watch for the next Wiljen lights Group Buy and buy 2 zoomies for every flashlight you *think* you need, buy rechargable batteries, and never, ever have a problem of this sort again,,,,

Zoomie, knife, lighter, left front pocket. No exceptions,,,,,and yes, I've got a corroded Mag sitting on the bench. Maybe it will become a suppressor someday,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    If you have little ones like Hamish does,better start up stocking lites NOW.

Shortly they will be playing TAG with the lites and you will never have a fully charged lite in your house again.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master

I have some old aluminum flashlights and a newer Maglite all in 5 cell the older ones are a Prolight and two Bianchi those are from the 70's i use them for light but also in needed for defense. I have stopped two dog attacks and killed a fox and deer that i hit with the car with them i am also sure two thugs thought twice at them appearing and left for easier pickings. Having lights that long and keeping them working has shown me that the old ones are better because both end come of to make removing corroded batteries easier. I clean the corrosion with lots of water and have used weak acid but do not like to i used a drill to spin copper pads on a dowel the remove lumps of corrosion then more water dry thoroughly and lightly greased the inside of the light. Then reassembled with fresh batteries i found in the past Rayovac batteries were most likely to leak that my no longer be true. ONE NOTE IN BIG YELLING LETTERS SOMEONE SUGGESTED MURIATIC ACID NEVER USE IT ON ALUMINUM IT WILL EAT IT UP FASTER THAN YOU WILL BELIEVE!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Banned
    Definition for Flashlight : metal tube used to store dead batteries.

Moderator Emeritus

For a sidetrack I remember a joke Waksupi told awhile back about the new guy at the Rondevous. He shot OK and was having fun and it came time for the liars contest. He claimed he had no ideas and just blurted out the truth. "I have 5 flashlights and three brother in laws and they all work". The crowd wandered off amid words of dirty, rotten, no good ringer, how we supposed to compete with that, etc.
    I guess i have over 20 flashlights and if 15 worked I would be a happy man.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by GT27 View Post
    Baking Soda will clean,and neutralize any acid residue left,also use a wire brush,"been there,done that"!
    If the batteries were alkaline then baking soda is the wrong thing to use. You need acid. So vinegar or other mild acid. If the old style standard batteries then B.Soda is the correct thing for them.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Boolit Grand Master

"baking soda will neutralize acid residue" - true but the batteries don't
    leak acid - this is why they are called "alkaline batteries" ! They leak
    alkalie - which is a base, opposite of an acid, so you need an acid
    to neutralize them.

I bought a drop in replacement LED bulb years ago for my big 5 D-cell
    Maglite and BOY does it put out the light! Batteries last FOREVER, too.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned
    Bill, do you remember where you found that LED replacement? I'd like to put one in a 4 D-cell Maglite.

Boolit Master
    I also upgraded my D cell mag lite to LED. Home Depot had the kit. I haven't had any problems with batteries going bad in my mag lites. Mag lite is based about 15 minutes from where I live. I would just drop the light off to them if there was a problem.

Those Wiljen lights looked cool. I will have to keep an eye out for another group buy. I would probably get the biggest one and a side click. The rechargeable batteries would be great.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    If you have little ones like Hamish does,better start up stocking lites NOW. Shortly they will be playing TAG with the lites and you will never have a fully charged lite in your house again.
    Actually, I should have mentioned in my original post that my two year old twin grandsons have been giving the Wijen Zoomies the American Tourister Gorilla luggage handler treatment for about nine months now with zero problems. And I mean throwing and whacking and dropping them in the dogs water bowl and,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

The mag lite is durable and reliable until the bulb burns out.
    Cheap led lights, not so reliable. The batteries sometimes last longer than the switch.
    I used to carry a 2 AA cell mag lite and found it to be the best option.
    The best flashlight I have is a $2. plastic 2 AA cell with a $4.00 1.5. volt led replacement bulb. I have had this flashlight for over 3 years, use duracell batteries and it has given me the best value ever for a flash light.
    The first flash light my family owned was a RayOVac given to me by a friend when I was 16 ( I still have it....) - now upgraded with a 1.5 volt LED bulb.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

On Heaven's Range

I still have my 70's kal-lite 6D cell (otherwise known as the electric sap) that I used on patrol. Made a tube from wax paper and slid it in before putting in the batteries, works for me. If you do try this don't use the microwaveable wax paper, it has tiny holes in it.

Mr. Ed
    The only good cast boolit is the one that hits the target

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    I have some old aluminum flashlights and a newer Maglite all in 5 cell the older ones are a Prolight and two Bianchi those are from the 70's i use them for light but also in needed for defense. I have stopped two dog attacks and killed a fox and deer that i hit with the car with them i am also sure two thugs thought twice at them appearing and left for easier pickings. Having lights that long and keeping them working has shown me that the old ones are better because both end come of to make removing corroded batteries easier. I clean the corrosion with lots of water and have used weak acid but do not like to i used a drill to spin copper pads on a dowel the remove lumps of corrosion then more water dry thoroughly and lightly greased the inside of the light. Then reassembled with fresh batteries i found in the past Rayovac batteries were most likely to leak that my no longer be true. ONE NOTE IN BIG YELLING LETTERS SOMEONE SUGGESTED MURIATIC ACID NEVER USE IT ON ALUMINUM IT WILL EAT IT UP FASTER THAN YOU WILL BELIEVE!
    it takes about 20 mins for the muratic acid to start damaging thee aluminum.