Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Which Gun Should I Buy?

Boolit Mold
    Northern Alberta (Edmonton Is Southern Alberta), Canada

Which Gun Should I Buy?

I'm currently saving up to purchase another rifle and would like some advice on what to buy. Right now I own, cast and reload a Marlin 1895G in 45-70. I love this gun but would like to get something that can reach out a little further in the event that everything pans out and I go elk hunting in the next few years (moose is my main priority right now). As far as calibers go I have been looking primarily at the 30-06 or .308 but I am willing to consider other options. Price range is floating right around $1000 right now before adding a scope, which will probably be a cheapie to start off with. This is the current picture in my mind of what I am saving for http://www.weatherby.com/product/rif..._2/sporter_dbm

Any suggestions?

Boolit Master
    50 Beowulf....Oh wait, you can't hunt with that there...sorry. 308 with cast will do just about anything you need it to, but moose is a little big I would think for what you are looking at. That 45-70 is your best option for large game with cast. You may want to look at something chambered in 35 Whelen for those big ole moose you got up there, and you can push it a little further than 45-70. Hey, you know we have moose here in Oregon now. There is a herd of about 70 they are keeping tabs on up in the north east corner. They would be a little smaller than what you guys grow up there. I hope to be able to hunt them someday soon.

You're on the right track, every man should own one bolt gun in .30-06. I would suggest a savage or Ruger for new production rifles. Quality scopes don't have to be expensive. Redfield( owned by leupold)revolution scopes are made in the US and offer great quality for the price.

Boolit Grand Master
    A bolt in either .308 or .30-06 is a good choice. If cast boolits are on the menu, I'd take the .45-70 for elk. They can be launched at a mighty fearsome speed and always land like a freight train. .308 seems to be an under-rated choice. I, for one love the .308. It was the only cartridge I took to Africa, and everything I looked at died with one shot. .30-06 is truly a do it all cartridge and never a bad choice. My only comment on the Weatherby, and it's only my personal opinion, is that I don't like detachable mags. That's just me and others will certainly disagree for very good and valid reasons. By the way my friend has a Weatherby Vanguard in .270 and just loves it. Best of luck.

Love Life
    I'd take the 30-06 of the 308 for your purposes. Feed it the big 190-200 gr class of projectile and put the hate on animals.

Boolit Master

I agree with Jupiter7 and 725, everyone needs a 30-06 and a 30-06 has killed many an elk, but for $1000, you probably could find a decent 30-06 and a 35 Whelen (which would be very efficient on elk). A used Mark X or Zastavia Mauser should put you in the ballpark for $1000 or maybe less, depending on the deal you make.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    35 Whelen or 375 H&H/Ruger 375. The larger calibers have a slower twist and are easier with cast boolits. I'm not saying that a 308 or 30-06 can't be done with cast boolits as many here do it all the time however they almost all come with 1:10" twist barrels. The larger calibers make it easier to push around heavier boolits for elk and moose as well.

Boolit Master

Asuming you are hunting the usual North American herbivores, the Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 30-06 is my stock answer. Get one, and while you may want another rifle someday, you will not need one.

Boolit Master
    I've shot over a dozen elk with a .45-70, Colorado and Wyoming. A .35 Whelen or .300 Magnum might give a little more reach. I did shoot a bull at 340 yards with the .45-70. I do prefer 300 grain Barnes Originals(soft lead and pure copper) in the .45-70 for hunting. Without military assistance, a .300 Magnum does more than an '06 and the .308 is a better cast bullet and target rifle. The .30-06 is a one rifle compromise. Yeah it may never be wrong, but it is seldom the absolute perfect choice either. That said, most in Colorado and Wyoming consider the .30-06 with a 180 jacketed the standard elk rifle. Another consideration would be a .358 Winchester, good cast bullet rifle with excellent longer range potential, almost as good as the .35 Whelen. If your the forgetful type, or miss a lot you can buy or beg .30-06 in almost any hunting camp or small town.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks everyone for your input. I'll take some time to ponder your suggestions.

Banned
    If your hunting Moose & secondarily Elk, I would strongly suggest a .375.

I have hunted lots of Moose & Elk & yes, plenty have been dropped by 06s & other calibers but unless it's a good shot it's easy to loose either of them, not to mention bear.

I've shot both with 300 & 338 mags & even with good shots have had them run & run a long way on occasion. Yes plenty have also dropped or only gone a short ways. Never had anything go very far with a .375. My first moose with a 338 was in BC in 85 at about 90yds & hit it with a good heart shot & it just looked at me & started to move off, shot a second shot 2" from the first & it still stood for a bit before it folded. The bear I shot at 75yds ran at least 100yds with a hole in its lungs.

I have shot moose with the 375 & turned its az over its head.

The 375 is very popular in AK & the 338 with the good bullets being made is now also popular & it works OK but since using it in the 80s I don't think it kills near as good as the 375.

I also think the 375 is easier shooting than the 338.

You've got to remember that it's not the perfect shot that you plan for, but the "Murphy's Law" shot & bigger is better in that case.

FWIW

I'd highly recommend against buying the "cheapy scope". I went that route years ago. I ran out of money and wanted to shoot my new rifle. The scope didn't last. Ended up wasting my money. The Redfields sounds like a good deal.

I hope this helps,
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

I would say 358 wcf or 35 Whelen are a good choice as is 375 H&H - A heavier kicking load will eat a cheap scope pretty quick. With a smaller caliber you can get by with lesser priced scopes but they will never be as satisfying as a higher quality scope.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Mold
    By cheap I mean not $700. A lot of guys recommend that you spend as much on the scope as you did on the rifle, which I definitely can't afford right now.

Banned
    The scope is equally important as the rifle! 3 thing make a accurate shooting platform. A good rifle, a good scope & a good shooter. Without one, the other two won't matter.

On all long range shooting, bench rest, tactical, F class or hunting I use Nightforce. On normal range hunting to 3-400yds, I us Swarovski, Leupold, a couple Redfields & sometimes Nightforce.
    Not to say, I don't have a few Burris, Nikon etc that I have got so I could try & were satisfactory on decent guns.

Point is, get the best scope you can possibly afford, the best rifle you can afford & practice so you can shoot the best you can.

CDNN had Ruger 375s on sell for about $600 not to long ago. Various wholesalers have Savages in the magnums to .375 for decent prices & you can frequently get Win 70 Classics for $700ish(not the 375). You can get a decent Leupold for $700.

You didn't say what distance your hunting, but if its close, scope your Marlin & use it. It will kill any North Am. game at short range. The above is for hunting that can be from 25-whatever distance you can accurately shot & kill at.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by devinp View Post
    By cheap I mean not $700. A lot of guys recommend that you spend as much on the scope as you did on the rifle, which I definitely can't afford right now.
    By cheap, I mean $100 for a scope with British heritage name but made in China. Never again.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Master
    I have a 30-06 Howa, and took off the Nighthawk that I couldn't see out of, and put on a BSA I think it was their adjustable 16X44, and have run around 100 rounds through it. I have not had any trouble with the scope, and the rifle puts them right where I want at 100 yds. The Howa is in stainless, and that makes the action smooth as glass. I really like the scope, because I ain't as young as I used to be, and the adjustable features help me where I want to see
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black