Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Accurate 3100

Boolit Mold

Accurate 3100

Hello Everyone,

I have some Accurate #3100 reloading powder that I originally bought for 45-70. The cartridges that I am shooting most these days with cast bullets are 38-55, 8mm Mauser and some 45-70. The old Accurate reloading book has very limited data for 3100 except for 45-70. Has anybody had any luck with 3100 in 8mm Mauser, 38-55 or 308 or 30-06?
    The Accurate book lists some compressed loads for 8mm Mauser, with limited data for cast bullets. Can I safely back off the starting load so that I do not have to compress the powder? My most accurate 8mm loads are 11 or 12 gr of Red Dot, so I am not looking for super velocity, target shooting accuracy is the main objective here.
    Thanks!

Joe S

Boolit Master
    The 3100 I have used has a burning rate slower than what I would want to use in .45-70; so I want to be sure we're talking apples and apples. I have used it in .308 and .30-06 and have a load for 8 x 57 worked up which I've not had a chance to shoot. It is fine for the .308/06 for near full/ full case loadings with boolits but I would not use it in reduced charges in these cases. I don't have a .38-55 but I'd think you might have erratic ignition with such a small case capacity. It works great in the .375 H & H with the RCBS boolit, but the capacity's of the two .375's are quite different.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

I have good results with AA3100 in 30-06 and 270 Win.

Super Moderator

It's a pretty darn slow powder, now discontinued. I still use it quite a bit of it in the 300 Win Mag with jacketed bullets, but it also works really, really well for me with paper patched boolits in the 30-06. I don't own a 45-70, but my guess is that it would be too slow of a powder for that cartridge? I'm sure someone with more experience with the 45-70 will chime in.