Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Plug undersized on 429640 Devastator?

Boolit Master

Plug undersized on 429640 Devastator?

Ok guys,

I would like some input here. I bought a new Lyman 429640 Hollowpoint devastator mold. I cast up some boolits with great enthusiasm, but when the mold got up to a good temp, the lead (straight ww) started bleeding between the plug and the mold, giving a thin lip of lead extending as much as 1/8 inch past the end of the bullet usually about half way round the tip. Some bullets had more, some less. Also the hollowpoint hole is offcenter by a little. See foto. I only have a photo from the offcenter. I have long since cut off the lips so have no photo of the bleeding. I called Lyman. They said send it in for evaluation. I did and they sent it back with sample bullets saying it made beautiful bullets nothing wrong with it. I still consider myself a beginner in this hobby. Who am I to say Lyman is wrong? But I don't like having to cut that lip of lead off each bullet, and I don't like have my holes off-center. It seems to me the offcenter hole has to affect accuracy.

So am I too picky? Should I just accept it? Or should I get Buckshot to make me a new plug or do I run the risk of it being tight. My plug measures between .284 and .285 and the hole measures .287.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Img_5056.jpg  

I don`t think your being to picky at all...

Try smoking the end of the plug with a Bic lighter or a match and see if that stops the bleeding.
    "I know what your thinking, did he fire six shots, or only five..."

Boolit Buddy
    I've had problems with my 429640 too. I don't get the fin but the nose of the bullet is uneven around the circumference. I'm ready to take the knob off and have a local turn the HP part down just a little to make a thicker rim on the hollow. Mine seems to cast OK but seems to be real alloy sensitive as well.
    If you want your children to follow in your footsteps, be careful where you walk.
    Beware the man that only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.
    Some things never change; others change more slowly.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by crowbeaner View Post
    I've had problems with my 429640 too. I don't get the fin but the nose of the bullet is uneven around the circumference. I'm ready to take the knob off and have a local turn the HP part down just a little to make a thicker rim on the hollow. Mine seems to cast OK but seems to be real alloy sensitive as well.
    Run it hotter than you have ever cast with before and/or add tin to increase the fillout. I had Buckshot turn down 2 plugs for the 9mm devastator and they look and cast great. they don't expand as well as the original with ww. If you want expansion with an HP and IMO there are few other reasons to run one I would not cut it back or turn it down if you ude ww alloy. gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze