MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Did I buy the wrong die?

Did I buy the wrong die?

I picked up a 44mag Lee powder through expander die yesterday. Should I have gotten the 44spl die instead in order to be able to do both? Seems like that was the case with the 38/357. Thanks

Boolit Master
    Not sure about the Lee. Other die sets (RCBS, Lyman, etc) use the same die for magnum and non-magnum cases. You simply adjust how far into the press the die is screwed. For instance, the difference between the .38 Spl case and the .357 Mag case is, if I recall correctly, 1/16 inch.

Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

They offer separate dies in this case. Because of the powder actuator thigamajig?

When I got a bunch of 38sp brass, I modified my Lee 357 expander/powder drop die to be able to use it for 38sp.

It required removing part of the bottom of the outer die and making up a couple of small rings to allow the expander plug to actuate the powder measure.

To be honest, it was a hassle, but being in Oz, getting die parts is always an expensive exercise due to shipping costs, so I figured it was worth it.

But in your case, I would just order a 44sp die. For $11.18 + postage through Titan Reloading, it's a no brainer!

Boolit Master

The Lee dies I have are marked 38/357 and I use them for both, don't know if it matters but I got the four die set and as mentioned it is just a matter of adjusting the dies. In fact the instructions explain how to do so.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

I called Lee today and he told me the 38/44spl works for the magnums also, but not the other way around. They put the 38/44spl dies in the kits

Boolit Master
    My Lee 44mag powder through expander will not work for 44spl cases. My Lee 357mag expander will work with 38spl cases. I picked up a Lyman multi caliber powder through expander to expand my 44spl cases. And expand other cases I'm going to seat cast bullets into.

I'm gonna take this die back and swap it for the 44spl. Just for kicks, will the Lee auto disk screw onto the top of that lyman die?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by .429 View Post
    I'm gonna take this die back and swap it for the 44spl. Just for kicks, will the Lee auto disk screw onto the top of that lyman die?
    .429 the Lee auto-disc is much smaller on the treaded end so it won't fit but here's a cheap way around that. Stop in at the hardware store or plumbing supply and pick up a 1/2 inch to 3/8 inch pipe reducer bushing. This threads into the Lyman Multi-Expander die and allows the Lee Auto Disc to be threaded into it. Put a wrap of Teflon tape around the threads to take up the windage difference between the 2 different thread types. Install it finger tight...don't crank on this and gammahooch up the threads! You understand the Lyman die will not activate the Lee Auto Disc and that will need to be done manually...correct? Audie...the Oldfart..