Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Plinking load for a Enfield Martini 303

Plinking load for a Enfield Martini 303

Once again I am posting this for a relative. He just purchased a Enfield Martini II in 303 British. He was wondering what type of loads or safe in this rifle? Also what would be a good cast bullet plinking load. He said he has 2 lb of Bullseye lying around.

Boolit Master

Bullseye is not the answer. I use 2400 for heavier loads and Unique for plinking. Around 18 grns of 2400 and 12grns of Unique is my recollection. Check with loading manuals to be sure. They both shoot well and accurate enough to remove varmints' from the yard.
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Actually, I use 5 grains of Bullseye in my .303s all the time with any .32 S&W Long or .32 H&R Magnum revolver bullet. Ballistics are similar to a .32-20 and it works just fine. The minimum load in which a 98-grain lubricated lead bullet reliably exits the barrel every time is 3 grains, which is very quiet and pleasant, accurate to 25 yards or so. Do not exceed 6 grains, which gives about 1400 fps with a .32-20 Winchester 115-grain bullet. You can also use the HM2 .316 diameter version of the Ed Harris bullet without the gascheck with 6 grains of Bullseye for about 1200 fps and this shoots very well indeed!

My ME is a Carbine so velocity is relative but I have been using the NOE 316299 mould with 13.5gn Green Dot for 1360fps and a really good plinker but 17.5gn Blue dot steps it up to 1675fps which is into hunting velocity, and 36gn Varget - ADI 2208 gives the original 1860fps with this bullet.
    Have just started to cast the CBE 316175 bullet but running it over 2000fps with H4350 - ADI 2209 or Varget - ADI 2208
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Once again I am posting this for a relative. He just purchased a Enfield Martini II in 303 British. He was wondering what type of loads or safe in this rifle? Also what would be a good cast bullet plinking load. He said he has 2 lb of Bullseye lying around.
    If it is an actual martini enfield, it will have the proof pressure stamped on the barrel near the receiver.

You'l notice its the same as a lee enfield bolt action (18.5 tons per square inch). Whatever the SMLE handles, the martini will handle. I've shot hundreds of factory loads through mine.
    Last edited by hickstick_10; 06-05-2014 at 01:51 AM.

Did some load development for my ME - CBE 220gn with 28.5gns ADI2206 powder shot exceptionally well at 100yards! 1760 fps average

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Thanks everyone. I will past this information on to him, he is own his own on this one.

Moderator Emeritus
    For plinking 5 gns of Bullseye with a lighter boolit is just fine, I like the NOE 316008 boolit. Shoots very well in all my Enfields including my Martini Enfield.

Ed Harris's article on Cast Boolits for Military Rifles is well worth pointing your friend at for these kinds of loads

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

5gr of 700X and any 32 cal pistol boolit.