WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1942 brass ?

1942 brass ?

Any unusual danger in reloading WWII era 30-06 military brass? I do mean other than the normal risk associated with this hobby.
    "If you make listening and observation your occupation you will gain much more than you can by talk.." --Lord Robert Baden-Powell

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use USGI .30 Cal. brass which has been fired with corrosive primers all.the time.
    Decap and wash in hot water with detergent to positively remove any chlorate salts, then size, swage primer pockets and reload normally. I tie decapped brass into cloth laundry bags and clean in the washing machine.Does a great job. The quality of WW2 brass is better than the new stuff you buy. Dillon Auto-Swage 600 is what I use

Almost all of my .303 British brass is 1943 vintage Canadian DIZ. The brass is immortal and better quality than current production.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

I have been using some FA brass from the 20s and 30s in my M1.
    It is working as well as any brass I use....dale

Boolit Master

Noooooo! It's bad bad bad! Box it up and send it to me for proper disposal.

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Grand Master

You might consider annealing it to possibly remove some of the age harding that may have happened

Thanks Dale,
    That is a generous offer. It is nice that my neighbor is looking out for my well being.
    "If you make listening and observation your occupation you will gain much more than you can by talk.." --Lord Robert Baden-Powell

Boolit Buddy
    i use HXP and WW2 brass in my Garand. tumble and clean pockets. the brass lasts as long as my non military loads. you won't have a problem.
    Looking for: 32acp mold-- 22 hornet jwords-- 7.62x54r- jwords, boolits, mold-- 7x57 brass, mold---7.62 Nagant-brass-- 8x56r-brass, jwords-- any old firearm laying around ( I'm starting to take gun smithing classes, and I'm looking for pieces I can work on, PM me with your details)

Poor execution of a problem on your part doesn't constitute a problem on mine.

13/14 Trapping season
    Coon-1
    Grinner-3
    Squirrel-3

Boolit Master
    Been resizing 30-06 Lake City blank brass from '43 and '54 for a 7.7 Jap and had some trouble to start with. I've had problems decapping the primers and found that I need to pop them out with a pin punch and hammer. The corrosive primers are fully crimped and were breaking the decapping pin on my RCBS die set. Even had two or three punch through the centers of the primers instead of coming out. The brass is so old that annealing really helps for resizing but once cleaned up and resized it works just fine.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Hell I have some brass from 1903-6 that I reload and use.

Well use it I will. I will be reloading for my 43 Springfield garand. Should be a good match.

Mercury?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post
    Hell I have some brass from 1903-6 that I reload and use.
    was that originally 30-03 brass?
    NRA life member

LB

Super Moderator

...............Just to add to the conversation, many years back I was given a 3 gallon pail of once fired LC45 brass. I assume once fired as it retained the fired primers which were crimped. Back then I kept my brass dedicated to a particular firearm in batches of 20. I still keep it dedicated but now use rnd boxes. In any event I have several batches of 20 cases used in my Remington 1903A1 Springfield with over 30 firings apiece. All were cast lead loads and the majority were 24.0grs of IMR4198, and Dacron under the Lyman 311284.

Reloading consisted of the Lee Collet die, 'm' casemouth expander, with boolit seating and no crimp. On every 5th firing I'd anneal and then FL size. I have several batches of 20 with over 30 firings apiece. That's over 600 shots from each batch of 20! Primer pockets remain tight. I'll have to admit that early on (I acquired the brass in the 80's) I did have some loss as the brass was FL resized each time, and while I trimmed I didn't anneal. I also did not keep track of their firings. At some later date I began using 1" x 4" labels with 3 lines of data on ALL my rifle brass. Top was "Times Fired" middle line was "Trimmed" and the bottom line was "Annealed".

Each time they were fired the top line got a 'I' tic mark. At the 5th firing they were annealed so on the bottom line, directly under the tic mark on the top line, the bottom line got a 'I'. So for example at the 20th firing the label had 20 tic's on the top line, 4 tic's on the bottom line for "Annealing". The middle line for "Trimming" for example might have a tic mark under the 4th, 10th and 17th firing, as trimming was only done when case length dictated. It's an easy way for me to keep track of pertinent information.

For pistol brass I only keep track of firings. One thing has become very obvious to me so far as pistol cases go and that is nickel plated cases produce a far larger number of early failures before settling down then does regular brass cases.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

It's gotten so that, in order to simplify life, nickle plated brass of all stripes goes into the recycle bin.

Virtually all of the deteriorated commercial cartridges I've encountered have exhibited their visible faults above the shoulder...with perhaps some staining around the primers. Some have shown none, but in pulling .348 Win from the '50s/60s ( for the brass to make .45-75 Win), the corrosion was evident on the bullets and brass portions that were within the case. Not to mention the powder came out in chunks, and with difficulty. Same true with a cousin batch of .33 Win.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I've shot (and still have) .45 ACP made before WWI on Frankfort machinery (now rusting in Greece as I understand it).

I can draw no useful conclusions from the foregoing. Just passing on some experiences. BTW, some immediate post-WWII Belgian (FN) 9mm is still OK.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Some of it must have been. Back in 2001, I stopped in an antique store in Oshkosh, WI, and found 300 1930s FA stamped 30-06 brass for $8; 500 1903-1942 dated mixed brass that had been cut down to 8mm Mauser, some with the original unfired primers for $5; and some other assorted brass.

I actually fired those original primers, not one misfire. Knowing it could be mercuric and/or potassium chlorate, I scrubbed the snot out of the guns and boiled the brass after shooting.

With mainly cast lead loads, I've only had a few splits, which got recycled in to 7.65 Argentine brass. Have occasionally annealed some of it, but that's really not my thing.

Would probably be a lifetime supply of 06 and 8mm brass on its own, but of course, I've since acquired several thousand more that I am sitting on for a rainy day...

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie2002 View Post
    Been resizing 30-06 Lake City blank brass from '43 and '54 for a 7.7 Jap and had some trouble to start with. I've had problems decapping the primers and found that I need to pop them out with a pin punch and hammer. The corrosive primers are fully crimped and were breaking the decapping pin on my RCBS die set. Even had two or three punch through the centers of the primers instead of coming out. The brass is so old that annealing really helps for resizing but once cleaned up and resized it works just fine.
    Whoah! Glad I read through this thread! I got a 5 gallon bucket of 30-06 brass and have been experiencing the exact same thing. The Brass is about 50/50 WWII brass of various headstamps and the other 50 percent is WRA 54 and RA (57?). Seems like the WWII brass is the worst offender in this regard.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use it all the time. No problems.

That old brass is made better then the modern stuff, more pliable.
    I have 30 box's of CIL 308 brass that's been once fired sitting in storage. Why am I not using it? I don't have a 308....

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    For those who may not be aware......chlorate primers are what are referred to as "corrosive". They deposit potassium chlorIDE (salt) when ignited. This salt gets into every microscopic tool mark inside the bore and no amount ordinary oil will remove it......just water (or Hoppes). Oil thoroughly afterward and monitor the bore for the next few days.

Mercuric priming is another animal altogether. First of all NO ONE has made mercuric primed cartridges for at least 90 years or so...it's as obsolete as an Obama vote. Mercury will NOT hurt your bore. No, instead it gets blasted into the cartridge brass rendering it brittle and totally worthless for reloading.

So, that's the difference between "corrosive" and "mercuric" priming. We have it good these days!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast