Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Acknowledging Reality

Boolit Master

Good on ya, I'm pleased for you.

Mark

Moderator Emeritus

More good news...thanks for sharing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Glad for the update and good news. Keep at it.
    BDGR

Boolit Master

Just got back from prosthetist. Tried on a clear plastic test socket to check fit-up. Everything looks and fits fine, I had a chance to stand up on both legs (between some parallel bars) and put weight on left leg. No pain, even pressure on stump, all is well so far.

Next Tuesday (9/30/14) I get fitted with real socket. Wife will roll me in to prosthetist's office in wheelchair, I will get to push my wheelchair out when we are done. Looking forward to returning wheelchair and crutches to rental agencies.

Eight days to a more normal life.

Boolit Master

Hooaah!

Moderator Emeritus

that's great !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

Good to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    Saw Doctor yesterday. The cavity inside my left heel is not healing, it is getting bigger. I have to acknowledge the reality of the situation. I am nauseous from taking antibiotics, my pain level has gone up, and now I'm bleeding more and more. Time to end this. I have to see Doctor again in three weeks, we both agreed that if there isn't significant improvement by then that we will schedule an amputation. He is running about three weeks behind, so six or seven weeks from now I could have the operation.

He says surgery would take 1-2 hours, then 3-5 days in hospital. Normally folks would go to rehab for a while but he will send me directly home since I have proved to him I can use a walker and one leg to get around. I can also get wheelchair for rental for a while. Several months of home nursing care plus the excellent care I get from wife and I will be ready for fitting of prosthesis. Doctor claims I could be walking in three months and would barely notice it in six.

Found out I have enough sick leave to take the Fall off and since I am retiring this year and would get a free sabbatical semester in Spring anyway. End result is that I will never have to go back to work at University. I will get full salary until end of next July. And I may get a little better pension if I retire under a medical disability, plan to talk to HR folks Friday about that.

I've been training nephew to run machine tools, by the time I go under knife I should have a good inventory of standard items and hopefully can get him to make nose/top punches.

If all goes well I plan to buy Haas CNC mill in Spring, a year from now I could be in real good shape both physically and commercially, and have a well trained assistant I can count on.

I've been wanting to do another lead hammer site benefit sale, but I haven't felt good enough to do it. Maybe next Spring.

No regrets, no sorrow, I'm really looking forward to ending this part of my life and moving on to something better and far more satisfying.

Heal well Keith and enjoy your golden years. Do you still have my number?

Boolit Master
    Sounds good.
    ph4570

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    Just got back from prosthetist. Tried on a clear plastic test socket to check fit-up. Everything looks and fits fine, I had a chance to stand up on both legs (between some parallel bars) and put weight on left leg. No pain, even pressure on stump, all is well so far.

Next Tuesday (9/30/14) I get fitted with real socket. Wife will roll me in to prosthetist's office in wheelchair, I will get to push my wheelchair out when we are done. Looking forward to returning wheelchair and crutches to rental agencies.

Eight days to a more normal life.

Keep it up Keith!!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master
    That's good news Keith, glad to hear it.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master

That is right on. Ain't it grand when a plan comes together?

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Grand Master

That is great news. Best wishes for a smooth transition to the
    next phase. It seems like you are having as good as this sort of
    thing can be.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Humm, Keith - methinks more than a couple of days to establish your stamina. I'm sure you have some muscular rebuilding to do. That may take a week to a month to accomplish. Then you can look at long term ability.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Yes, rebuilding muscles that have gone a little slack as well as building up muscles that will be used more to compensate for different physiology. But I don't HAVE to do anything, I am effectively retired, so I can stop and sit down (or even take a nap) any time I want to.

I have a nice comfy tractor-seat stool out in shop and an apprentice that is more than happy to do almost anything that needs to be done. One of the first things we will do in shop is clean up the place. I am still planning to buy CNC mill after first of year and there are a lot of changes that need to take place to shop before then. I DO NOT plan to lift much of anything, just give directions and get out of the way. My apprentice has a good friend that I can hire to help out on anything that needs two strong backs. My apprentice is all in to cleaning up the shop and making our work environment more comfortable.

The medical people have all indicated that it will be about a year to get back to something approaching 100%, and I can appreciate that. I don't intend to overwork myself, but I am extremely motivated to succeed. One more week until I find out.

Boolit Master

If your health insurance covers it, you probably should consider attending physical therapy. Nothing quite like an expert helping you who has seen your situation dozens of times before. Hopefully one or more of our members is a PT and will weigh in on this.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

Woo Hoo! Got fitted today with my prosthetic foot. Next week I start therapy for "gait training", which will help me learn to walk properly. I'm using a walker for stability, and with therapy they will move me to a quad-cane and then my regular fighting cane. I've already run several errands - mailed a package at the PO, got a soft drink and a snack at a drive-thru, stopped to see my friend Jeff at his machine shop. All boringly normal and absolutely wonderful things to do.

Tomorrow I have a whole list of things to do, None require I stand up or walk for very long, most just require being mobile and reasonably self-sufficient.

I'll know within a week when I should formally reopen my business - I'll post something and change my sig line.

Thanks to everyone who thought to include me in their thoughts and prayers over the last year and a half, your concern is appreciated. I hope to pay back the collective Castboolits fraternity by doing what I can to help make this the Golden Age of bullet casting.

Vendor Sponsor

I am glad its starting to look up for you.. heres to a speedy recovery
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Great news! Great guy!
    You're still my hero!
    Ramar
    AMERICAN EX-PRISONERS OF WAR -- NON SOLUM ARMIS

Boolit Master
    Spectacular Keith. Every update from you just gets better and better.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast