RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Acknowledging Reality

Boolit Master

I am glad to hear you are doing better Perfessor I had a friend that has been having about the same problems, last week his ashes were interned he was 75 then another my own age told me he was in the hospital and almost lost a foot he just got home Sunday still having the wound evacuated i am praying he heals completely.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

firefly1957 - Hope your friend heals completely, that's the best possible outcome. Sometimes it just doesn't happen that way and you gotta make a choice of the remaining options.

I've now had my prosthesis on for about 8 hours and have tried to walk around as necessary to run a couple errands, move around the house, etc. Nothing much really but I am absolutely exhausted. Using muscles that I haven't used for a while, using other muscles in new ways, being more active in general, its all adding up. May have an early bedtime tonight!

Boolit Master

Awesome news! Keep moving forward!!!!!! I know you'll be glad to get back to work.
    Every shot you get in life counts

Boolit Master

Congratulations Perfesser! Glad to hear of your progress. BDGR

Boolit Master

Here is photo of prosthesis and socket. Polyethylene liner, carbon fiber outer, USI (University of Southern Indiana) logo is cloth patch from shirt that the wife got at bookstore. It's not a decal, its actually impregnated with resin and covered with clear coat. Snaps off and on in just a few seconds.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ProstheticSocket.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	117930

Boolit Grand Master
    Velcro shoes? Man, you are old!
    I need to send you a PM, I need some info on a few things.

Very happy to see you on the mend. Positive attitude makes a huge difference.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Glad you're progressing! Keep it up.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

What no gun holster molded in?

Boolit Master

Keith,

Your progress is too cool for school. I am so glad for you.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Grand Master

Keep it up, Keith. A little here and rest, a little there, rest, and again. In a month you will be back close to normal. Each day you can do a little more, but it seems barely measurable. At the end of the month you are amazed at what you have accomplished.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Plenty of room for a holster. Just not a SRH 44 M.
    Be careful when ya cross your legs though.
    Good on ya. All our prayers are being answered.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    ...snip...
    and then my regular fighting cane.
    I love that line !!!

Hearing about your moving around is just more great news to hear...with so much bad news going on around the world, it's just great to hear your good news !!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

So how's the new prosthesis working prof?

Been a month, time for a prof-gress report---
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy

So glad to see you are doing so well. Positive attitude helps. Good luck

Boolit Master

I have progressed from needing a walker to assist me while walking to being able to walk w/o a cane or any other aid. I still need to use a cane or lean up against something when I stand still, but I have had to do that for years due to neuropathy and some inner ear balance issues. After I received prosthesis I used a walker for about 2-1/2 weeks, switched to a quad cane for about three days, and then started using my regular cane. Towards the end of last week I started walking around inside house w/o using cane and have gradually built up strength and balance to point of being able to walk out to shop or my truck with no problems.

Getting out to shop to work directly with my apprentice has really helped my mental health and outlook. I still can't run machinery much or lift anything heavier than a few pounds but I can give my apprentice hands-on instructions and hand him the right tool to do whatever it is we are trying to do.

We spent two weeks cleaning up the shop, and he refused to put the hours on the clock, he was really glad to clean and organize things. He's a golfer, I'll pay him back by entering him and his friends in one of the charity scrambles we have around here. As I got sicker last year I admit I let shop organization slide and it really needed to be done. It is so nice to walk in to a clean, organized shop with nothing underfoot to trip over and with a place for everything. As we get new tools and equipment I will put him in charge of organizing things.

The last two weeks we spent installing a pneumatic 5C collet chuck on the TL1 CNC lathe. (posted pictures and narrative in Special Projects section) Then I showed apprentice how to make nose punches (yes, I am back in full production again w/2 day shipping). The last two days I showed him how to do internal threading on a manual lathe. He bored out and rethreaded twenty 5/8-18 nuts to 11/16-24 UN. I have been selling blank Saeco dies, and some folks had trouble screwing on the standard Saeco knurled nut, so we made some hex nuts that I guarantee will fit my dies. I will start sending those out later today.

Started therapy last week, my therapist is really pleased that I have gotten to point of walking without assistance in less than a month. Most of my therapy is now focused on doing some exercises to build up specific muscle groups. It will be easier to walk smoothly when I am stronger, I can feel how much easier it is to walk now as my leg/hip strength has improved in just a few weeks. It is a strange mentality, after not using my left leg for months I had to start believing I could use it and that it would be strong enough to support me. I'm at that point now, I expect my leg to work and not collapse under me.

Still have a long way to go physically, but I feel like I have made significant progress so far and I am able to get enough things done with help that I am not impatient enough to force things. I can wear my leg most of the day, I can be up on it for several hours a day, and I am feeling a little stronger every day.

My doctor told me I would be able to pass out Halloween candy this year, looks like he knew what he was talking about.

Boolit Master
    Your cheerier outlook and overall happiness shows through in your posts. I am and I know all the others here who have followed your progress, are exceedingly happy for you.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

Yup, you are about where I expected, and I ain't no physical therapist! Learning to walk again takes time and conscious effort but it's well worth it. Time to start bending, handling some weights, and building up basic conditioning and strengthing your central body. By Christmas I would think you would be back in full time normal effort comfortably. Something to work toward, anyway.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

Great news! Wish I was closer I would put in shop time free to be taught how to use the machines. Always wanted to learn machining beyond the little I do on a drill press.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Keith, you cant see it, but I had both fists in the air reading you're back! As has been said, with all the fertilizer to wade through in the world, it's really good to hear one of our own coming back.

As as my old man used to say, stay with it and show em what yer made of!
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Good to hear from you again, I am glad you're doing better. The elk steak offer still stands. JW

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast