Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chose the Wrong Delivery Option with Midway

Banned
    I recently ordered a book that was shipped by USPS. I followed the tracking on-line and it was a bit amusing to see the journey. That book got a very extensive tour of the east coast before it made its way to me but I did eventually get it.
    I have to say that the USPS chain (or any other carrier) is only as strong as it's weakest link. Every time the package is sorted it must be correctly routed or the entire process is compromised. I'm not sure any carrier really shines so price is the important factor to me.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    Total B.S.
    No, it's not. I've told my stories plenty of times on this forum. How many times have I had to call and file a formal complaint w/ UPS or Fed-Ex to have a large heavy parcel delivered to my door? The answer is never. How many times have I had to do this w/ the USPS? Every time but the last. Why not the last? Because I had to go to the post office to pick them up myself. I do not pay for delivery part way. I pay to have them delivered to my door. If the USPS employees can't lift the boxes, that they set the weight limits on, then they shouldn't be working there. And I won't even get started on insurance claims and the black hole of nothingness that the USPS is. Companies are using USPS flat rate to appease their customers. They aren't doing it in their best interest. No real time tracking and a higher lost package ratio. Oh yeah, number one reason the USPS is not set up for parcels. Look at their delivery vehicles compared to the other two. The USPS has to make special trips to pick up and deliver orders if you are shipping a lot. I live in a more urban area so it's not like I have these issues because I don't live near anything.

In Remembrance
    I have a long driveway. The Fed-X contract drivers will not come to my house. They left a rifle at one of my mentally off neihbors. I had to go looking for it when they said they delievered it! He said he would have brought it over after he woke from his drug induced sleep , two days later!

Boolit Buddy
    Where I live, USPS is the only reasonable option. If something accidentally gets shipped UPS, you will be doing some serious squealing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post
    I will not use ups. The last time I dealt with a ups employee I had a very difficult time restraining myself. I will not ever again use or accept anything from ups, and hope they fall off the earth.
    +1!!! UPS tacks on a ridiculous surcharge on parcels coming into Canada! The one time the US company I was dealing with shipped a small package to me here in BC UPS tacked on an extra shipping charge that was almost as much as the item I ordered! Now when I order from the US I make sure to tell the company I am dealing with if they can't ship USPS, I don't' want their product!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Grand Master

Had something similar happen a month or so ago. Seems the package was delivered to the USPS b UPS and when it came the container was contaminaed from another leaking pakage. They had to send the whole works back to eah individual shipper for repackaging and then to be reshipped. BTW USPS gets most of it's packages deliveredby Fed Ex and UPS so you are just cutting out one more step when you go UPS in the firs place.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a UPS driver make 2 extra delivery trips with lost pieces from a very poorly packed item.
    It does depend on the area being served.
    I've had the experience, of having to hunt down deliveries to me and for others with the USPS. It's just a part of life here to have to finish the mailmans job.

No problem here with any of them. I did make a mistake and got free shipping from Amazon, for only $107.17/year. Finally got them to call me back and they cancelled the charge.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I pretty much gave up on Midway when they quit the monthly catalogs. You know bathroom reading material, spur of the moment purchases?
    Now I find 2-3 daily Midway speshuls clutter emailed to me. Guess what happens? They might get the hint. I don't care. Larry can go pound Kenyan salt.
    The ole lady runnin the Co now is too stupid to listen. And I'm not gonna explain to her how to do business.
    Anyone wonder why the MIDWAY Emails have ramped up the last couple months?
    God bless 'em all if thats how they want to do business. It ain't workin for me, and I suspect it aint gonna work for them either.
    CAN YOU SAY "UNSUBSCRIBE" ?????????????????????????????
    P.S. Search around. Midway ain't the only show in town.....................
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Master
    And well, if y'all talking about shipping jerks, Name your poison. They all are only as good as the weakest link. And evolution don't always weed out the slowest........................
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Man
    Living 30 miles from the post office, and only a letter drop mail box, I only order packages non-usps. Amazon has become my new best friend. I haven't ordered from Midway in over a year due to their shipping costs.

My other weakness is old sewing machines. UPS FedX and others would destroy nine out of ten machines we'd ship. USPS would lose a machine once in a while but they where always found.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Moderator Emeritus

I have NEVER had a USPS package delivered by fedex or UPS, the other way around yes with that stupid smart post garbage UPS uses. Local mail carrier will put the packages in my porch, or if I am not home and door is locked he puts them in the unlocked shed.

Boolit Buddy

USPS is about worthless around here. The local small office in town is great the the main hub everything goes through and after them that sucks here. Just about any pacakge sending or reciving I chooses UPS if I can.
    PaGunBuilder. Learning to build the guns that shaped our country.

"Stand your ground! Don't fire unless fired upon! But if they want to have a war, let it begin here!"

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I have NEVER had a USPS package delivered by fedex or UPS, the other way around yes with that stupid smart post garbage UPS uses. Local mail carrier will put the packages in my porch, or if I am not home and door is locked he puts them in the unlocked shed.
    USPS final delivery is always done by USPS, so you never see that they contract out the long haul routes to other carriers.

Boolit Master

I get my packages delivered to work to reduce theft off my porch. UPS is the most common carrier and they are pretty god here on the business route. The residential route varies. I have seen some of my Amazon and eBay orders end up being set up as UPS to USPS, and the only drawback is that my two-day free Amazon shipping tends to be three or four days. It's free so I shouldn't complain, but I do pay attention so that when USPS takes over locally and updates the online tracking status as delivered the day it is due, but I don't actually get it for another 24-48 hours, I mention it to Amazon...

From all the comments it seems to be a very haphazard thing, based largely on local human factors. I will agree with those folks who say they'll never go to a UPS facility again in person if they can help it. Count me in, my experiences there have been very frustrating and maddening. I gather they must have a very strong union, to the point of individual performance not being a factor in evaluations, raises or retention...

Bulldogger

Boolit Master
    There is a place I order from in Ohio that uses the Fed ex "smart delivery" program...it takes two days to get to a city next to mine, sits there for a day then is delivered to the USPS then the next day the post office delivers it to my door. Five days....if I return the package via USPS they get it the next day if I mail it before 10 am.
    I have had horrible luck with UPS with busted packages and deliveries to the wrong place.
    The post office has been pretty good as has Fed Ex. It just takes much longer for delivery with Fed Ex.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    At least they state what the option is. I thought I ordered UPS from Brownell's but it's that UPS to USPS garbage. So instead of receiving the parts on Friday I hope to receive them tomorrow. Of course the tracking number stops working when the package was dropped off at the post office. I know it depends on where you live. But I can't stand the USPS and understand why companies don't offer their service. They are good for envelopes, not parcels.
    They did this to me also. NOT happy. I told my customers that I would have their stuff fixed on Friday. Then got the news that it was dropped off at the PO. What? Why? I went to the PO Monday AM and got it from my letter carrier or it would have been that afternoon before I received it. This will not be an option for me again.
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Boolit Bub
    I'm sure it depends on the area you are in. Around here UPS is most reliable, followed by pretty closely USPS, and FedEx ground way behind both.

I do hate the new UPS smart post. Not because it is unreliable, but because it takes so long. Apparently whenever UPS drops something off at the post office to be delivered, it is mandatory for it to sit there for at least three business days before being delivered.

If given the option, my first choice for packages is always UPS. My next choice would be USPS priority mail.

I will never voluntarily have a package shipped to me via FedEx ground.

Banned
    OK I'm going to jump in here.

I was a gun dealer in the 80s-early 90s & did a lot of gun shows & mail order business. I shipped a lot of guns & a lot of high dollar guns.

Between UPS & FEDEX they would get there relatively fast & most of the time in good condition.

But....they lost or damaged, what I would call, a lot. They would leave guns on peoples porches that cost a bundle or they would just disappear. Now the insurance was great & they paid off, but it took a while & it was inconvenient to be out the $ for a month or 2.

A example of real stupidity. They "lost" a expensive rifle & sent me a check. About a week or 2 later, the rifle shows up on "my" porch, just left there by a driver. The stock had been busted (looked like fork lift tire marks on the box). I called them & they had no idea about anything related to the rifle, except that they lost it & paid me. Should have kept my mouth shut & kept $ & rifle.

On another occasion I shipped a double rifle worth 6k or so & it arrived with the stock also broken. They totaled the rifle but I bought it back for maybe $1200(or maybe 1800??) Called the factory to get a new stock, found out the stock was warranted & sent it to them & got back the gun with great new wood. Ended up selling it again for even more than the first time.

Have more stories but to get to the point.

The Post Office was slower, cost a little more (always sent registered, insured), but it never lost or damaged a single firearm.

FWIW

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast