Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A new method? Hybrid DT

Boolit Master

Looking at the back of a CRT=type TV that I have, I see that it is 110W at 120V. That means that it is drawing 0.9167A. If you assume that the transformer converts to 35KV, that means a 291.67:1 ratio in the windings of the transformer, thus the amperage would go down by a similar ratio. This means that the amperage would be 0.9167/291.67 = 0.0031429A (i.e. 3.143 mA). So, theoretically, that is not enough to kill you. Considering how much it hurts when you get a good hit from it, I don't think I would stake my life on just the theory though.

Boolit Master

Just got through hooking up the circuit board of the TV that I "recycled" to a stainless steel bowl. The leads were taped to pieces of PVC pipe that were about 24" long so that I was nowhere near the wire or the exposed conductors. On the lead with the suction cup, I attached it to a stainless steel bowl. I put some powder and bullets in the bowl and then brought the other lead into the bowl, but not close enough to arc to the metal. Wearing thick welder's gloves as an added insulation layer, I touched the bowl to see if it would shock me. Not even a tingle, so I gently swirling the bowl so that the powder went over the top of the bullets and holding the other lead down into the bowl, but not touching anything. During testing, I brought these two leads together and got an arc of about 1/2-3/4 of an inch. If I took the suction cup lead and brought it near ground though, I got a significantly larger arc. I chose to go with the smaller arc for this test. Only needed to do swirl the bowl a couple of seconds and the bullets were very well covered. Removed the bullets from the bowl with forceps and the only exposed lead areas were where I scraped them with the forceps. All in all, it looked good.

The first batch didn't pass the "arbor press test" (I flatten them with an arbor press instead of a hammer). I was running out of bullets that had not been lubed and I think I must have grabbed some from a bag that had a light coat of alox on them.

The powder that I'm using is a leftover mix of various HF powders that have been used in the ASDT method. It's probably contaminated with some alox now though.

The second attempt turned out a lot better when I did the arbor press test. I'm sure the method could be refined a bit, but it does show promise. Besides, there's got to be *something* that we can do with all those CRT-type TVs that people are throwing away after they buy a new LCD HDTV, right?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Looking at the back of a CRT=type TV that I have, I see that it is 110W at 120V. That means that it is drawing 0.9167A. If you assume that the transformer converts to 35KV, that means a 291.67:1 ratio in the windings of the transformer, thus the amperage would go down by a similar ratio. This means that the amperage would be 0.9167/291.67 = 0.0031429A (i.e. 3.143 mA). So, theoretically, that is not enough to kill you. Considering how much it hurts when you get a good hit from it, I don't think I would stake my life on just the theory though.
    Your transformer ratio math will not work with a TV HV flyback circuit. It's an electronic circuit and (depending on the TV age and design) not just a straight step-up transformer function. And every person is different on how much EMF it will take to stop their heart! Not worth the risk. Personally I have been up close and personal with 15-22K V at 4-6ma and that was more than I would ever want to mess with in a metal bowl trying to coat boolits!

Just don't do it. The ESPC guns are not that expensive! Only $50!

Old TV's belong in the recycle heap at the garbage dump. That is where I put them!

Just watchin' out for y'all's best interests. Non-electronics types and this kind of messing around will only lead to potential personal disaster.

banger

WHAT THE H, Just buy a $50 ES gun the life you save may be your own. Okay I'll shut-up now, just my opinion GP

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Just watchin' out for y'all's best interests. Non-electronics types and this kind of messing around will only lead to potential personal disaster.
    Agreed.... If you've never worked with HV before, you might find yourself in for a rather rude surprise. Merely not touching a conductor won't keep you from getting shocked. I've been hit once on a live circuit before and it is not something that I would recommend.

Remember the old lawn mowers where you had to bend a piece of metal with a sharp point on it into the spark plug boot to stop the engine? Ever got hit by one of those? Feels like a really good hit from one of those and then some.

It's possible to do it, but the penalty for not being properly insulated can be rather painful.

NavyVet....I'm going to refer to you as "Sparky" lol....I think you just built the initial prototype for a dedicated commercial "boolit powder coater"... keep up the tinkering!

How about checking the connection of your automotive coil in the rain...
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cust...pic31753_1.gif
    "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm." Dorothy Parker

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by StromBusa View Post
    NavyVet....I'm going to refer to you as "Sparky" lol....I think you just built the initial prototype for a dedicated commercial "boolit powder coater"... keep up the tinkering!
    For a commercial automated powder coater, it would need some sort of conveyer chain where the bullets were clipped possibly with some sort of two point holder and then the chain would travel through a long oven that would take 15 minutes to complete the baking process and then some more time out of the oven during the cooling process. Optimally, it would use ESPC on each bullet and the powder was recovered. Maybe something like a bullet going through a charged fluidized bed of powder?

Considering the way I was using the stainless bowl, I suspect something like a 1 qt sauce pan with a bakelite handle would have been a better solution. Of course, an extended length bakelite handle would have been even better since it would put your hands even further away from the conducting metal of the sauce pan.

Boolit Mold
    about the fence charger method - (will not work) - most fence chargers ive seen are "AC" output - you need Direct Current for the "charges" (espc) to work with the coating process - if you are handy w/electronics and have access to old TV's - the picture tubes ran at about 25-35 kilo-volts DC - you could use the H.V. rectifier from them to make the fence charger DC output (or a neon sign power supply) - definitely some good food for thought...

Boolit Master
    Hi NavyVet.Yep those flyback units will make your shorts glow in the dark.Did ya ever get bit by an impulse mag off of a radial aircraft engine?That will get your attention.As has been said people,DON`T mess with the flyback units.An old time TV repair guy that I knew spent about 3 days in the hospital because of one.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Banned
    Can one or you "science types" tell us if this will work
    usb ionic air purifier
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5za9sa4-qk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
    Hi NavyVet.Yep those flyback units will make your shorts glow in the dark.Did ya ever get bit by an impulse mag off of a radial aircraft engine?That will get your attention.As has been said people,DON`T mess with the flyback units.An old time TV repair guy that I knew spent about 3 days in the hospital because of one.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    Never owned a radial engine aircraft, but I've been hit by the spark off a lawnmower engine back in the day when the way to cut them off was a metal tab that poked through the rubber insulation on the spark plug wire and shorted it to the engine. I can remember people making prank devices out of Model T ignition coils and I got shocked by one of them once.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Can one or you "science types" tell us if this will work
    usb ionic air purifier
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5za9sa4-qk
    I did some experiments with one of the ion generators with one lead attached to a pair of forceps that I used to grab the bullet and the other lead sticking in a fluid bed of powder. It works. There's a thread around here somewhere on it.

... quick search ...

OK... Here it is...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...luid-bed-tests

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123