Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationPBcastco
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 410 - 00 or 000???

Vendor Sponsor

I just got an order from BPI in Saturday. I got a bunch of stuff to load .410's including some of the 1/4 oz Thug Slugs which are very similar to Brenneke Slugs. They were $14.99 for 25 ea.

I also bought 4 boxes of Federal 2.5" Slug loads at $4.94 per box or $1 per shot. Please note the velocity on the box! 1775 fps! A 125 gr. boolit at 1775 fps is well past the top end for a .357 revolver! Accuracy aside I'm still sure it would be very useful out to 25-30 yards.

I got a bunch of other stuff as well including Roll Crimp tools for both .410's and 12 ga. I also got 100 Cheddite "primed" hulls for $9.79 which is pretty cheap.

Included was a Brochure for loading the Thug Slugs which has many loads for each ga.

Stuff to play with and well see what we can get out of the M6 Scout with this stuff.

Tried to post a pic of the slugs and federal loads but now the site won't allow my pics for some unknown reason. It won't even take pics I have already uploaded.

Must have been a minor glitch,,, pics are working now.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 06-12-2014 at 11:53 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Vendor Sponsor

back to the top with this one, in case you missed it.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Thanks for the ttt. I did miss it. My son was born last Saturday. 07/06/2014. And I haven't had much chance to read on the forum ever since. Love the slugs. I wish I could order from BPI but the postage is murder. So I am focusing on the buck shot for now. As a matter of interest. I looked at the roll crimping toof from precision an the crimping tool was $25 and the postage $85!!!
    Last edited by nomadSA; 06-15-2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Vendor Sponsor

Nomad : Where are you?

Randy

Hi Randy,

I live in Sunny South Africa

Updated my profile.

Cheers

nomadSA
    Last edited by nomadSA; 06-17-2014 at 04:06 AM.

Boolit Master
    Nomad, congratulations on the recent fatherhood. This past Sunday we honored Fathers here in the States on our annual Father's Day. You'd have made it just in time.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Indeed, my "son"- (read wife) did get me a small present

Okay, got the mold (DC Lee 0.375 RB) cast some balls from WW, - 0.375 Diameter, 75grains per ball

I would like to load 3 balls (225grain - just over 1/2 oz) in a Plastic Eley shell and 4 balls (300grain just over11/16oz) in a 3" brass shell.

Any suggestions where to start? As said before I will be using S265 (Similar to 296 IMR4227)

Regards,

nomad

PS. 2 balls with the "flats" facing fits nicely side by side in a 12gauge shell - 6 balls is about 1oz got some data on that now looking for info on 600grain (1 11/16oz) load for 12gauge.

Boolit Bub
    The .375 rb from the lee mold will not fit into a ww wad; Hornady 000 buckshot (.330") fits into the WW wad and using 12 1/2 grs of 2400 powder allows for 4 of the .330 balls and makes a good crimp. I use Win AAHS hulls, Win 209 primer, and red WWwads

Thanks dannybear. Unfortunately 410 wads are non existing in RSA as far as all my enquiries have gone. Even the local company that makes shot shells also use card and felt wads. I am making felt wads, stiff over powder and under shot cards from old leverarch files and over shot card from milk boxes.

Banner Sponsor

I was loading 4 000 buck in a 2 1/2" 410 with a wad and used 2400. Don't remember the charge. The 000 buck fit nice and tight, I also tried some 0000 buck and it left visible bulges out the side of the case. I think that the 0000 would load nicely in a bare case with only card wads.
    I used a BPI roll crimp tool to hold it al together.

I went to the post office site and saw that I could ship to RSA for $25
    So if you wanted I could buy one and send it out in a small flat rate box.
    PM me with the details if you want.
    Glenn.

http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices....:00%20AM&dv=25#

Hi all,

I just want to say a special thanks to Glen of http://www.lsstuff.com for taking the time and helping me to get a roll-crimper for my 410. I can't wait to try it out. Hope the little man (now almost 6 months old) at home gives me some time over the weekend to try it. - first need to go read all the roll crimp threads again )

Boolit Master

Perhaps this or an equivalent is what you are looking for:

Centurian .400" 4 ball .410 Buckshot ammo:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-AC413BK

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
    The .375 rb from the lee mold will not fit into a ww wad; Hornady 000 buckshot (.330") fits into the WW wad and using 12 1/2 grs of 2400 powder allows for 4 of the .330 balls and makes a good crimp. I use Win AAHS hulls, Win 209 primer, and red WWwads
    I think you may have accidentally added a 0.

Attachment 122476

Just for clarification:

Pellet size Diameter
    0000 0.38"
    000 0.36"
    00 0.34"
    0 0.32"
    #1 0.30"
    #2 0.27"
    #3 0.26"
    #4 0.24"
    #F 0.22"
    #T 0.20"

For me 00 is a good fit in a conventional .410 wad. If I load 000 (which I cast from a Lee .360 rb mould) I use either of these wads.

Attachment 122477

.410 "stump" (L) or BX-.410 (R) - with either H110 or Alliant 2400. They shoot really well from a Mossberg 500 .410 (full).
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

My first 2 of 3 roll crimps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20141122_075813-1.jpg  

Those look pretty good. Did you shoot them?
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Not yet still want to make a few more to test maybe tomorrow.

I cast my own 00 buck shot and I put 4 in a 2 1/2" hull and the data I use is the same I use to load regular shot and At 20yards I get a 7" patten and at 15 yards I get a 5" patten. But the one I cast before I roll them I had no patten and the ones I roll ( take all the sharp edges off by roll between 2 steel plates) Hope this will help someone.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I cast my own 00 buck shot and I put 4 in a 2 1/2" hull and the data I use is the same I use to load regular shot and At 20yards I get a 7" patten and at 15 yards I get a 5" patten. But the one I cast before I roll them I had no patten and the ones I roll ( take all the sharp edges off by roll between 2 steel plates) Hope this will help someone.
    I run my cast buckshot thru my Thumbers thumber for several hours before reloading

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12