Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sheridan Blue Streak

Banned

OK, looking at the Pyramid Air web site, lots of pellets. Any recommendations? What is most accurate for targets? What has best terminal performance for small game?

I'm gonna look into the Williams receiver sight too, but I want to shoot it stock first and see if I need to upgrade or not. I generally shoot a lot better with just about any peep sight.

I am shooting "Benjamin" 5mm 14.3 gr. pellets. They are almost like the old "trash can" pellets, but have slightly swooped in sides.

They seem to shoot exactly the same as the few trashcan pellets I have left.

I have never spent the money for the more expensive "Crow Magnum's" etc, but there are several online sources for airguns nowadays.

If I was hunting for my table I'd probably be considering these first, as they are significantly heavier.
    Eun Jin .20 Cal, 23.7 Grains, Domed, 150ct

http://www.pyramydair.com/search-res...;NB:1&saSearch

http://www.airgundepot.com/airgunpellets.html

Banned

Wow, that's about half again the weight of most 5mm pellets, does that slow down velocities to where it's an issue?

When I was a kid, I did a lot of squirrel hunting with an RWS .177 rifle that I know was not particularly powerful (seems to me they claimed about 1,000 FPS) and I used Beeman Silver Jets. Never had a problem going through a squirrel that I can remember.

Guess I just need to order several kinds, set up a range in the basement and start checking which shoot best. Trigger time is always good.

Boolit Master
    Try these, Noet the Beeman pellets are made by (generally) H&N. These have shot well in my 5mm rifles, I would stay away from the ultra liteweights, no penetration, and the CB9s generally like something between 10 and 15 grs. I have not shot the En Jins, so no personal experience there. I have had little success with hollow point pellets, prefering the accuracy and penetration of a round nose. I have squirrel hunted a good bit with 5mm airguns and shot LOTS of starlings. Crow Mags would not break the neck of a large fox squirre from a Theoben, the premier did. The Bengimins have not been as accurate as others ,but don't cost as much so they get shot some when "tin can hunting". YMMV

http://www.pyramydair.com/compare/P/300/335/90/477/17/

Almost forgot, I have no interest in Pyramydair, Just know they carry most 5mm pellets, shop arround.

Richodg66 experience and trigger time is always the best teacher IMO.

As to the the heavier pellets, I have seldom found the need to go above 4 pumps for the shooting I did.

If it was me I'd shoot a few at 4, 5, and 6 pumps at hunting distances and see how they group, and where they fall.
    Multi pump Airguns always take a bit of a learning curve as you learn to use appropriate power and estimate the required hold for different distances.

Nowdays all my shooting is in my basement, I have a nice 20 foot range setup with some interesting targets.
    Latest one is a nickle, drilled and hung by a string. So far my Sheridan has hit it and sent it swinging hard 4 out of 5 shots with only 2 pumps.

For a squirrel or a rabbit I would probably go to 4, and add another pump for every 10 yards over something like 30-40 yards depending on where you are sighted in for.

Sheridan to me is all about learning how much power for a given application, and distance.
    It doesn't take a lot of power for most birds, and varmints. Ground Hog's, or coons I would probably go to 5 or 6 and try for a good head shot. Shot placement is the key with any lower speed, lower powered gun.

I used to shoot starlings off a power wire that was some 55 yards away from my back steps and maybe 10 yards up.
    3 pumps would knock them off every time if I took my time and aimed right.

Boolit Master
    Few years back I answered an ad on "Freecycle", got a Blue Streak for nothing.
    Must have had a scope at one time, about the 6th shot I felt a puff of air in my face,
    the barrel had separated from the gas tube. I cleaned it up and applied a thin coat
    of JB Weld in between. Has shot fine ever since. Rocker safety, plain leaf sight.
    Got a few cans of Benjamin 14.3gn pellets at Big 5, 3 or 4 bucks if I remember.

Got some 6mm plastic Airsoft pellets for use in powdercoating, suppose I could
    swage 'em to 5mm for short range targets?

Possible I suppose to make a tapered hole in a piece of steel, but I suspect they'd come out a bit strange.

My 5mm pellets actually read as .196, anywhere from there to .20 should chamber and fire.

Boolit Master
    Thanks.
    It's just that they last forever applying powder, you only need a
    couple dozen, and there are 5000 in the jug, so I figured maybe I could
    shoot 'em. Maybe I'll try it if I get a minute.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    As an add-on, I clean my 5mm. With Q-tips. Felt pellets are expensive. Just add a drop of favorite cleaner, cut in half, 2 pumps and shoot. Follow up with other side, fav. Oil.
    Last edited by fiberoptik; 07-11-2014 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Typo

Boolit Man
    just traded for one of my rocker silver streaks. a benjamin p rod. already regret it, but the wife promptly adopted the p rod

Boolit Buddy
    I have a pair of Blues and am hunting a Silver. JSB Exact is their best shooting pellet, and at 13.73 grains is quite heavy enough; no need to get heavier until the power is there to exceed 950 FPS. I don't get much past 800, so I take the fine accuracy and don't sweat the power. A fine scope mount can be had that does not stress out the solder joints from Greg Lundy. I went one step further and just glued on my first, and now am waiting on a second. Top notch stuff...
    cheers,
    Douglas
    1990 D250, NV5600, Luk 05-101, 16cm housing, TST Kit KDP tab, 366 spring, Powr-Lok'd 3.07, HX35...IC soon
    She wasn't built to travel at the speed a rumour flies

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12