RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingADvertise hereRepackbox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheridan Blue Streak

Boolit Grand Master

Sheridan Blue Streak

I used to really want one of these as a kid. Seems like they were the most powerful thing going in the air rifle world then. Are the 5mm pellets still commonly available now? What kinds of things go wrong with the over time and is someone out there still servicing them (seals and such)?

Yes the JSB is a very good pellet made now.the current Benjamin cylinders don't shoot that well.the Crow magnums also shoot well.get an older one with thumb saftey if you can.the newer ones font get the speed of the originals.Ollie Damon's in Portland Oregon fixes them for about $60 and shopping.
    “When people have tried everything and have discovered that nothing works, they will tend to revert to what they know best—which will often be the tribe, the totem, or the taboo.”
    ― Christopher Hitchens

The pellets are still available, made by Benjamin. I got some at Cabela's.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I got an old one (my grandfather's) and it has the thumb safety. I had the seals replaced and it shoots like it was new! It'll roll a squirrel and tumble a 'monk!
    You can buy the seal kits and do it yourself, but I had a pro do mine.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Good choice ,like others I suggest finding a vintage thumb safety or rocker safety. They don't cost any more than the new ones and the build quality is pure 1950s. All brass ,steel and walnut and they shoot very well. There are several people across the country that repair them and have parts. They are simple and therefore can be kept operating indefinately. The 5mm /20cal pellets are available. Pyrimid air and others on the web have a bewildering array of top quality pellets. Crossman premiers shoot well but HN field target specials have been great for me. I layed in a good supply of both several years ago so my info on prices ect would be dated.
    I have precharged , gas ram (Theoben), spring guns too but the one I shoot the most these days is an early sixties thumb safety blue streak. Just relaxing !
    As far as what goes wrong, just seals , easy to replace and if you keep 1 pump in it all the time they last a loooong time!

The premiers are sadly discontinued.
    “When people have tried everything and have discovered that nothing works, they will tend to revert to what they know best—which will often be the tribe, the totem, or the taboo.”
    ― Christopher Hitchens

Sitting on a pair of Sheridan's and a nice pile of pellets here.

Ok so maybe in some respects the new PCP's outclass them.

But, I don't have to shell out money to a dive shop to shoot my Sheridan.
    It is fast enough, and deadly enough, I don't need to chase speed and power. If the job needs more than the Sheridan can deliver you have the wrong tool, grab a scoped .22lr or centerfire rifle and be done with it.

For the price IMO you can't beat them. You can still find them for about 120-150$, I recently acquired a newer one for 130$ plus shipping, and considered myself lucky.

In 40+ years my dog has died, women have come and gone, trucks have gone belly up, but my Sheridan has never failed me. In a couple of cases it sat there for 10 years, until I had a need for it, drop in a pellet, 3-4 pumps, and it shot, and hit what it was aimed at.

On average mine has gotten 2-3 drops of oil per decade.

And it continues to shoot, and shoot accurately, with controllable power.

they are a great gun. i have a silver and blue, both rocker safety.nice and light and will put small game on the table, unfortunately they were "cheapafied " by crosman in the years since they bought them out, then discontinued last year. you can find older ones used on the classified oftenwhich is the way to go.

Boolit Grand Master

A LGS has one for $89. I was surprised what a nice piece of walnut was on a pellet rifle.

What are these bringing nowadays? Are the scope mounts still available for them (seems like they had a unique mount that grabbed a fat part of the barrel, not standard tip off)?

Good price.usually over $100 even if they need a reseal.
    ― Christopher Hitchens

Boolit Master
    I would grab it. I did't know they had been discontinued, not enough plastic content I guess.

They have been drilled and tapped for a reciever sight for many many years. I would go that way insead of a scope. THe scope mounts can "seperate" the barrel from the pump tube, pretty much a fatal error for the rifle. I have a newer one with a scope , scout style and a Burris 5/8 tube mounted in very "one off" mounts I made on a wire edm. I really don't shoot it much better than my thumb safety with the standard sights. It predates the drill and tapped ones. I think the sight is a williams . below from Midway website:
    "Williams 5D-SH Receiver Peep Sight Benjamin 340, 342, 347,392, 397, Sheridan"
    Too bad about the Premiers , glad I put away a stash!

Boolit Grand Master

Well, I'll have to go back and get it, then. Should make for a fun plinker in the basement of nothing else.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    You'd enjoy it. It'll harvest fuzzies of all sizes for you too, if you want.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

I picked this one up, looks good.

The safety has "S on the right side and "F" on the left side of the receiver, I take it that this is the rocker safety mentioned earlier?

It does indeed have two holes for a receiver sight. I'll try it with the stock sights first, but I really do better with a peep.

Now to research pellets and sources.

I bought from Pyramid Air:

a tin of varmint pellets -- plastic pointed like some jacketed bullets.
    a receiver sight for the blue streak. Requires drill and tap 2 holes.
    Beeman package of 20mm felt cleaning pellets. take 2 or 3 and moisten with a cleaner and shoot them through.
    Don't buy the scope mount -- a scope on the rifle makes pumping awkward.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

The new Benjamin domes didnt shots well as the Beeman Crow Magnums in mine.
    ― Christopher Hitchens

Boolit Master
    Interesting thread!

I had a Crosman 1400 pump .22 pellet rifle that I bought in the early 1970's that I loved. Must have put a "million" pellets through it. I almost cried when someone broke in and took it in the 90's. I found a like new one exactly like it a few years back, sent it in for resealing, and it's back to having fun in the yard (no basement in Florida).

Lately I've been looking around for an old Blue Streak in 20 caliber, maybe 5mm. I would also like to put a peep sight on it -- have to try a peep first though since my old eyes are getting pretty tired.

By the way this target is fun, and comes with inserts to make the bullseye hole smaller http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=275763
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    You're gonna like it, that is a rocker safety. Check that it holds air , 4 pumps and wait an hour before loading and shooting . If it shoots like it was fresh pumped you are good to go on the valve seals. The bolt uses an oring that can be found at a parts house and the pump cup could probably use a single drop of "pelgun oil" or any light oil.
    HN field target trophys shoot really well in all of mine. they weigh about 12 grains and can be found at pyrimid air and other online sights.
    Have fun and PICTURES!

Boolit Master
    Had a friend in high school , whose family had more money than most of us did. He had a Sheridan Blue Streak that he said was the "Cadillac of the pellet guns". We were all shooting Crosmans but all wanted a "Cadillac". Saved my yard cuttin' money and in 1970 went to Phenix City Al and bought me a "Cadillac" at a pawn shop for around 75$ can't remember. I have killed squirrels, doves, Wild quail, Ducks (on the water) and am presently using it for chipmunk control in my yard. I rigged a scope on it because I can't see the sights any more. Love my "Cadillac". Shoot Straight, T-Bird

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Just got mine out of storage today. Bought it in Chattanooga in 1978 for $35. Came with a receiver sight attached and the scope mount. Never did put a scope on nor wanted to. That receiver sight turns the Blue Streak into a fine "sniper" rifle for pigeons and trouble some bluejays.
    Now just have to find my pellets.
    Mike in ILLinois
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast