Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me Pick a Handi Rifle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mpbarry1 View Post
    thanks for the info jerry. ill look for a 3030 and try a handigrip stock on it. thank you!
    Probably your best route.

I don't want to sound like I don't like H&R, I like their older gun (especailly their shotguns allot). I had their 45/70 that shoot 2" goups at 100 yards with stock sights. I have their older Topper in 30/30 that has never failed me. I have a shorten 357 Mag now that is not what it's cracked up to be and had a bad CS experiance with it. Its just that for what they are and the price they are being sold for now, they just aren't as cost effective. They are going for $330 new around here. But I was able to go to KY and find a few in the $275 range. So its cheaper to buy the complete rifle IMHO.

A 30/30 with a Handi Grip sounds like a great option. I got my stock off of eBay cheap, and it was new. Just got to watch for them. But I think Midway has just the stock too, so that would be cheaper too.

Jerry

Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

I like the .45-70 Buffalo Classic. Something about a 32" barrel in that caliber just appeals to me at some sort of guttural level. Unfortunately, I already have a Thompson Encore in .45-70, so I'm not exactly inclined to get another single-shot .45-70.

The H&R in .357 mag interests me though. It has a long throat, so you can load to .357 max velocities while still using .357 mag brass. Many people ream it out to .357 max though. With handloads, you can go anywhere from powderpuff small game loads to deer loads. I prefer reloading straight walled cases anyway. The .357 mag or .357 max barrels for the Thompson Encore are not that readily available and the ones that I have found end up being more expensive than just buying an H&R rifle chambered in that caliber.

Oh, and don't forget the H&R "Ultra Slug" 12-gauge. There are some people who have done some VERY high powered loads in that rifled barrel.

I have my guy looking for a 30 30. do I want one 1999 or later? it looks like they wont do barrels on older rifles than 1999?
    MPBARRY1

NRA Life Member

PASS IT ON! TAKE A KID SHOOTING!,

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mpbarry1 View Post
    I have my guy looking for a 30 30. do I want one 1999 or later? it looks like they wont do barrels on older rifles than 1999?
    Probably depends upon whether you might ever want another caliber barrel for it. I have an old H&R Topper .410 shotgun and when the light shines on it just right, the bluing nearly looks like it was a case hardened finish. I doubt the new guns look as good, but it wouldn't stop me from buying one.

thanks guys
    MPBARRY1

NRA Life Member

PASS IT ON! TAKE A KID SHOOTING!,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12