Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Comments thread: June 2014 Photo contest

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post
    It don't work now. I haven't played with photobucket and such, I will just stop adding pics till they get it sorted out.
    I really like using a third party host (I use photobucket) for photo's. the only problem is your photo becomes about as "public" as it gets...even more so than Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post
    I'd say you should be able to win too, but your photo must contain the cat hat to be eligible.
    That is Funny
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Obviously, as the lone judge, I'll never choose my own photo.

This is actually one I submitted back in 2010, So it's more of a cameo (I use that word loosely as it wasn't a winner back them) and yeah, it's not really a single cast boolit and the background is on the random artsy side

I'd say that is one tough tomato. lol
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Banned

really nice beagle333.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 06-07-2014 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Moved from Submission thread

Old West Boolit Mold, 43 Spanish, drops .441-.442 at 440 Grns

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Morgan View Post
    Okay, so it is actually two boolits... 570 grains 12 gauge Brenneke-style slugs for smooth-bore shotgun.

How do you cast such a projectile...multiple mould halves?
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 06-19-2014 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Moved to comments thread

Yes. A two part mold. The two parts are locked together when casting. The mold is filled from the top and then the top part is twisted 60 degrees to snap the sprue and separate the two mold parts. The slug is then ejected by the plunger in the middle of the mold.

Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master
    That is a very interesting looking projectile!
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Quote Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
    I'd say that is one tough tomato. lol
    This one is actually for JonB. I am having a problem casting the HPs out of my NOE 359429, the same as you have in the picture. Followed Swede Nelson's advice on the cleaning and seasoning of the mold, bullets drop out without much of a hiccup, but am having problems with fill-out. Would it be heat or to add a little more tin, almost at a loss and this is THE most finicky mold I have worked with. My alloy is generally straight CWW. I have also tried the hot plate mold heating and usually rest it on the pot rim (which works better IMHO), have also cranked the heat up to 650F and am ready to go a little higher if needed. I have tried less than 650F and it got worse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am looking at some Lyman 358429s that I may have converted by Erik of www.hollowpointmolds.com.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by hockeynick39 View Post
    This one is actually for JonB. I am having a problem casting the HPs out of my NOE 359429, the same as you have in the picture. Followed Swede Nelson's advice on the cleaning and seasoning of the mold, bullets drop out without much of a hiccup, but am having problems with fill-out. Would it be heat or to add a little more tin, almost at a loss and this is THE most finicky mold I have worked with. My alloy is generally straight CWW. I have also tried the hot plate mold heating and usually rest it on the pot rim (which works better IMHO), have also cranked the heat up to 650F and am ready to go a little higher if needed. I have tried less than 650F and it got worse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am looking at some Lyman 358429s that I may have converted by Erik of www.hollowpointmolds.com.

Yeah, more tin and more heat.
    I wound up using an alloy of 20-1 (20 parts soft lead and 1 part tin).
    I had much difficulty with this mold casting for me as well, so much so, I sold the mold. I think the biggest issue was the small size of the cavities. I have similar molds in 41cal and 44 cal...they cast much better. More Lead poured in them means more heating of the mold.

Maybe others will chime in ??? with their casting techniques, cuz I know someone must have had some success?
    Good Luck,
    Jon

PS, when using a hotplate, I find that a old steel coffee can, set upside down, acts like an oven to hold the heat consistently.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post

Yeah, more tin and more heat.
    I wound up using an alloy of 20-1 (20 parts soft lead and 1 part tin).
    I had much difficulty with this mold casting for me as well, so much so, I sold the mold. I think the biggest issue was the small size of the cavities. I have similar molds in 41cal and 44 cal...they cast much better. More Lead poured in them means more heating of the mold.

Maybe others will chime in ??? with their casting techniques, cuz I know someone must have had some success?
    Good Luck,
    Jon

PS, when using a hotplate, I find that a old steel coffee can, set upside down, acts like an oven to hold the heat consistently.
    If the hollow point had been a smaller diameter, would it have worked better?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    If the hollow point had been a smaller diameter, would it have worked better?
    IDK ? Maybe ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks JonB, this solidifies my exact thoughts. On to the Lyman mold and Erik's it is!

Can I vote for a picture? I'd vote #18 in the photo's thread, "The Nose Job". It's a great looking photo on a modified boolit. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder View Post
    My Lee 312-160-2R... after a 'nose job'.

Boolit Bub
    Who won? And watch is the subject for July?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by davidheart View Post
    Can I vote for a picture? I'd vote #18 in the photo's thread, "The Nose Job". It's a great looking photo on a modified boolit. IMO
    You can surely comment all you want in this thread...and pick the photo you think is the best...But sadly My vote is the only one that counts. I have chosen to do it this way totally for simplicity.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moderator Emeritus

The winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsnscrews View Post

.358 200gr RCBS Round Nose
    .357 Herret IMR4895
    I'll keep this thread open for a week or so, in case anyone wants to comment on any part of the June Contest.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Jon

it is a challenge with all the pins and screws to take shots like that without using a tripod.

Nikon D3000
    50mm 1:1.8G AF-S
    125sec
    F1.8
    ISO200
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

When I saw Pinsnscrews's post I figured I was out. Nice pic!

Boolit Master

Congrats Pinsnscrews, check is in the mail. LOL
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master

WhooHooo Pinsnscrews has bragging rights till, well forever is my guess.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast