MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: # 3 babbitt need help

Boolit Mold

# 3 babbitt need help

i have some #3 Babbitt , pure lead , and 70 30 tin lead rods how much of each would u mix in a 10 pound pot to get lyman #2 or a touch softer alloy

Boolit Master

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babbitt_%28metal%29,

according to the table giving the alloys, the Supertough babbit, listed just above grade 4, there is; Sn-83–85, Pb-≤ 0.35, Cu-7.5–8.5, Sb-7.5–8.5. Somewhere on the site is a formula of how to get #2 alloy from various mixed alloys. Can't remember how to do it right at this moment. I'm sure someone else will point you in that direction. mikey

Boolit Master
    If the above figures are correct ( and I have no reason to doubt them) #3 is 84% tin, 8% copper, an 8% antimony.

Lyman #2 is 90% lead, 5% tin, and 5% antimony.

Using #3 babbitt as a base, by the time you diluted it down to 5% tin, you would be at 0.85 (or slightly less) antimony. That's not enough. If you diluted it to 5% antimony, you would be WAY over on tin.

What you need is a source of antimony, which you don't have in those listed.

Don't misunderstand, #3 babbitt is good stuff, as a source of tin.

rotometals sells a superhard 30% antimony alloy you might look at. With that, your #3, and lead you could make lyman#2

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/...ny_70_lead.htm

5lbs of superhard + 2lbs of #3 babbitt + 23 lbs of pure lead = 30 lbs of an alloy very close to lyman #2

I say very close because the babbitt has some copper in it, and lyman does not. This doesn't hurt anything, and may slightly toughen the alloy....a good thing.
    Last edited by lylejb; 05-28-2014 at 06:30 PM.
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Mold
    thanks for the info

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejb View Post
    If the above figures are correct ( and I have no reason to doubt them) #3 is 84% tin, 8% copper, an 8% antimony.

Lyman #2 is 90% lead, 5% tin, and 5% antimony.

Using #3 babbitt as a base, by the time you diluted it down to 5% tin, you would be at 0.85 (or slightly less) antimony. That's not enough. If you diluted it to 5% antimony, you would be WAY over on tin.

What you need is a source of antimony, which you don't have in those listed.

Don't misunderstand, #3 babbitt is good stuff, as a source of tin.

rotometals sells a superhard 30% antimony alloy you might look at. With that, your #3, and lead you could make lyman#2

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/...ny_70_lead.htm

5lbs of superhard + 2lbs of #3 babbitt + 23 lbs of pure lead = 30 lbs of an alloy very close to lyman #2

I say very close because the babbitt has some copper in it, and lyman does not. This doesn't hurt anything, and may slightly toughen the alloy....a good thing.
    I couldn't have said it better myself!

Shad
    I believe in gold, silver, & lead, and the rights of free honest men... You can keep the "CHANGE"!

Shad