Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help selecting a single shot rifle

Boolit Buddy

Need help selecting a single shot rifle

Hello everyone. I've been a shooter for some 40 odd years. It has been mostly handguns until recently. I acquired some lever guns by Marlin and Winchester (vintage guns) in 25-20 and 32-20 along with a nice Rem. model 25 in 25-20. Enjoy them all.
    I have a hankering for a low wall type single shot in 32-20 and I am wanting to use the collective experience and wisdom of this group to avoid a bad experience.
    I am hoping you'll can share with me the do's and don'ts in selecting the brand and other issues you've encountered. I have really enjoyed the forum and am receptive to whatever you have to offer. I am not opposed to a vintage gun but will also take a reproduction ( in 32 20 as I don't think anyone offers one in 25-20) as I may want to speed'er up some in the reloading department.

Thanks so much for your input.
    Bob

Well, as far as I know your choices are:
    1: Find an original Winchester in good enough shape to shoot, or rebuild one.
    2: Get C. Sharps Arms to build you a new one.
    3: Buy a current made Uberti if you can find one.
    4: Find a Browning Low Wall 22 Hornet and have it rebored to 32-20.

They would all work, just depends on how much money and time you would like to put into the project. Uberti also made low wall hornet rifles, so one of those could be rebarreled or rebored also.

The coil spring Browning action is a bear to work on, the others much more simple. But it is very strong and durable and once set up should never give any problems. I sure don't like working on them though. The original design is so simple to deal with and much nicer.

-Nobade

Boolit Buddy
    NOBADE, thanks for the input. I've been trying to stay away from a 3rd party barrel person to get what I want in caliber. I know there aren't many choices in the low wall market; vintage or reproduction and the reproduction doesn't have many more choices than the vintage. Didn't know what others have done or suggest, maybe an option I hadn't considered. Thanks so much for the info. Others please chime in.

Boolit Master
    50target,

While I see your thought towards a LowWall type firearm, and I also like the looks of those rifles,
    I much prefer the hammerless firearms for anything that involves hunting situations.

I also realize you may need to change your thoughts as to the caliber chosen but if that is a possibility, check for a RUGER #3 or #1.

My Lyman cast bullet book indicates .308 loads with a 115gr cast bullet begin with velocities just over 1600fps up to bullets as heavy as 190 - 200gr with velocities in the 1200 - 1400 and up to2400fps range.

Brass is easy to come by and a wide range of powder is listed.

Pretty much the same for the 30/06, wide range of bullet weights and powders.

Everything from fun target or vermin loads all the way up to game hunting bullets and loads.

Enjoy and keep us posted as to where you come down with your search.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Grand Master

C Sharps makes beautiful rifles and will build up a wonderful low wall for you. A original refurbished has its strong points as well from nostalgic and history aspects. A lso CPA builds some fine rifles on the Stevens 44 1/2 style actions. I also believe a martini cadet could be rechambered or rebarreled to 32-20. Theres alot of options available. The hard thing is none of these rifles are readily available at gun shows or shops to handle and look at first before ordering purchasing. I think the 32-20 in a small light rifle would be alot of fun and handy for varmints critters in the gargen and around buildings. Search C Sharps, CPA Rifles, and the online gun brokers to see what looks right to you and go from there.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I am not opposed to a vintage gun but will also take a reproduction ( in 32 20 as I don't think anyone offers one in 25-20)
    CPA Rifles, replica makers of Stevens 44 1/2 has barrels for both the 25-20 and 32-20. Stevens stopped making 25-20's in favor a the more accurate 25-21.
    I have a 25-21 barrel for my CPA - a very accurate caliber to 200yds
    Regards
    John

Lots of years ago (60?) there were a bunch of Martini-Henry Cadet rifles imported. Originally in .310 Greener, ammo was about impossible to obtain, and many were converted to .32-20 and many more to .32 Win. Spec. I had one of the .32-20s, and loaded with .32 cal. wadcutters it was extremely accurate. Many have since been rebarreled to accommodate other calibers/cartridges, but every now and then I see one come up on the market. So that would be another choice, as would be building a rife on one of the smaller Remington Rolling Block actions.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    CPA Rifles, replica makers of Stevens 44 1/2 has barrels for both the 25-20 and 32-20. Stevens stopped making 25-20's in favor a the more accurate 25-21.
    I have a 25-21 barrel for my CPA - a very accurate caliber to 200yds
    John Boy, school me on the 25-21. Not really looking to get into something exotic and laborious at the reloading bench. I will visit the CPA sight.
    Thanks so much.

Ol'Coot: I have a HB 308 and 223 that I enjoy a lot because they are an excellent tool and perform flawlessly. I do however (maybe due to my age) enjoy the vintage and vintage action guns. I like nice wood and bluing. They are as much for lookin at as they are as shootin. I like the unusual and not run of the mill. Heck, that's one of the reasons I married a red headed woman !!

Boolit Buddy
    Has anyone had any experience with E. Arthur Brown's rifles? Just wondering. Might be an option.

Boolit Grand Master
    It is going to be tough to find a shootable low wall in .32-20 or .25-20 that is also affordable. But if that is what you want, start saving those nickels and dimes. Frankly, once the cost gets close to a new rifle, I believe you should start looking at building your own.

The main problem with the .32-20 is finding the right sized action to build one on. I see no sense in building a Ruger No. 1 or 3 in the -20 calibers, it would be like building a 98 Mauser in .22 LR.

Good luck on your search,

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Your best bet for a .32-20 rifle is the Martini Cadet. As was stated many were re chambered from .310 Cadet (or Greener) to .32-20. For accuracy in these rifles you must use a heeled bullet as the bore is oversize for the standard .32-20 bullet but RCBS has a mould. If you are lucky enough to find one in the original chambering the .310 case is easily made from .32-20 brass. These rifles turn up frequently on the gun auction sites some for reasonable prices.
    Calaloo

Boolit Master

I have a #2 Remington Rolling Block in 32 extra long rimfire that I've been shooting with my reloadable rimfire cases. Unfortunately the bore is prettty much worn out and accuracy has suffered. I've talked with John Taylor about relining it to .32-20 and converting it to centerfire. I haven't made the decision yet, but I'm leaning that way. But odds are I'll be sending it to John soon. The #2 is really a sweet size rifle and perfect for the .32-20.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    I have a #2 Remington Rolling Block in 32 extra long rimfire that I've been shooting with my reloadable rimfire cases. Unfortunately the bore is prettty much worn out and accuracy has suffered. I've talked with John Taylor about relining it to .32-20 and converting it to centerfire. I haven't made the decision yet, but I'm leaning that way. But odds are I'll be sending it to John soon. The #2 is really a sweet size rifle and perfect for the .32-20.

I have the same rifle I am shooting .32 Short and Long Colt through, with a different Breech Block. I think my barrel may be abit better than yours, but it is still far from pristine.

I am a bit hesitant to recommend the #2 for .32-20, as I seem to remember Frank Dehass stating they weren't quite up to the high speed rifle loads. I could be remembering that wrong and can't find my copy of Single Shot Rifles and Actions right now. Plus I figure the steel in my rifle is somewhere around 120-130 years old, so why stress it?

What I would do is buy one of the new Uberti's and rebarrel it. Modern steel almost has to be better than the century plus original.

Robert

Boolit Master

Robert - I pulled out my copy of the deHass book and re-read the #2 RRB chapter. You are correct about his concern; he states "I would be a bit fearful of firing the high speed .32-20 cartridges in this rifle chambered for this caliber." He also mentions that many have been chambered for .357 magnum and .44 Special, but he advises not to chamber them for any cartridge that develops more than 35,000lbs of pressure.

I then went and re-read Paco Kelly's excellent article on the .32-20 where he discusses the three levels of .32-20 loads.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/3220wcf.htm

While I would stick to the low pressure, level 1 loads, as were used in #2 RRBs originally chambered for .32-20, there is the possibility that someone down the road would load something hotter, resulting in a dangerous situation.
    So considering this, I retract my recommendation of .32-20 in this rifle, but would consider relining and chambering to .32 S&W. That would make a fine plinking rifle!

I really like the #2s and the thought of getting an Uberti clone and then rechamber or rebarrel it to .32-20 is an appealing, if not expensive alternative.

Thanks Steve

Boolit Grand Master
    Steve, thanks for verifying my memory of the DeHass book.

I have wanted to get one of the Uberti's for a while now, but the opportunity and the spare funds haven't quite came together yet.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I checked out the C Sharps site and pricing isn't as bad as I would have thought on the Low Wall. A lot more info on Hi Wall than Low Wall but I guess it would apply to it as well. I then looked at CPA Rifles and OH MY what eye candy ! Modern steel with a beefier frame, and the vintage look and top quality and interchangeable barrels. Not as pleasing to my eye as the Low Wall but it wouldn.t be hard for it to grow on me. Anybody shooting these guns besides JOHN BOY. I would be interested in accuracy and I especially like that they are drilled and tapped for a scope in addition to the tang sights. How does the interchangeable barrels hold up for fit after a while ? They are nice.
    Thanks everyone.

Boolit Master
    I have one with a 40-72, 38-50Rem and 22LR barrels
    ser No. is dated 97
    Shot into the AAA , BPCR with it
    both Iron Sights and an MVA Scope
    one of the better bangs for the buck, out there
    I have a low wall in 32-20 also a No.2 Rem Rolling Block in 30-20
    Any of these will do what you are asking..if You want to shoot bigger calibers later on the CPA is the way to go

just one more opinion to keep you awake at night

Boolit Buddy
    4060May, the array of calibers certainly has my attention. How have your barrels held up with the changing out, etc. Do they fit as tight now as new.? That is one of my concerns. I know they screw in but hand tight only until you lock down the set screw. I'm really blown away with the quality that I see on their site. You can tell they love what they produce.
    Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

I am shooting one of CPA's Shillouettee models this year in 40-65 win. Its a great shooting rifle. Paul is great to work with and there are alot of options as to barrel length, countours, sights, triggers, wood grade and length of pull. I opted for the fancy wood on mine and as you said its real eye candy. I have the tapered octogon barrel 30" long and tapered to make a 11 1/2 lb finished rifle. Rifle balances at the shoulder perfect. I have the MVA mid range rear and globe front along with an 6X MVA malcomn scope. One thing to keep in mind is that they will want to know the ring spacing you want with this scope as it sets the adjustment graduatuons. Im considering this fall having a 38-56 barrel done for this rifle.

Boolit Master
    I have a CPA schuetzen rifle with .32-40 and .38-55 barrels. With the .38 barrel it's gives inconsistent accuracy so far, but the .32 shoots quite well. I like the rifle for offhand shooting as the stock fits me very well. Customer service is excellent at CPA.

I'd give serious consideration to C. Sharps if you are interested in an 1885. I've got a number of their rifles and am happy with them. I've got another on order that I hope to see late this summer or in the fall.

Chris.