RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: California Lead Free zone

Boolit Master

California Lead Free zone

Was at the Sportsman's Exposition in San Mateo today and picked up a flyer at the Dept of Fish & Game. There is now a sizeable hunk of central to southern California that prohibits the use of bullets containing lead while hunting including .22 rimfire even. The way the law defines it, even airguns are included. No lead cores even in jacketted bullets.

You can still target shoot using lead in areas where they will allow that but during fire season, they prohibit even that in some areas (Hunter-Ligget Military Reservation for one).

The thing is is that lead fragments from wounded animals that die later and are scavenged by condors contribute to the ingestion of the lead by the condors & so the condors die of lead poisoning they are saying. So a paper target is still OK.

The good news is that the guy I went to the show with is a guy who works for a local dealership and is going to save me a couple of buckets of wheel weights.

Newtire, I am sorry to hear that. Didn't the CA legislature pass a bill recently requiring guns to imprint some type of ID on the case? What are the details on that?
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms." (Federalist Paper #46) - James Madison

Heard on the street about our current POTUS: he is inebriated by the eloquence of his own verbosity...

Boolit Grand Master

Wasn't there a thread a while back that defined owning a gun and a lead bullet in those areas as "constructive possession"? I'm surprised the IDPA/USPSA/Cowboy/Bullseye shooters et al aren't screaming bloody murder. I did a search on condor over at Brian Enos' forum and found nary a word.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey ima— I'm just a shiftless and lazy Irishman, so I'm not going to do all my homework, but I think the legal term was "proximate possession." Follow that thread. But I don't think it was owning," it was being in possession of while hunting...

Al least at this point the info from the State of CA makes it pretty clear that the issue is for hunters, not just recreational shooters. Of course, if you're within the area and you've got a carcass and nothing but ACWW boolets and the warden asks, you're probably SOL. On the other hand, I suppose we could worry that anyone within the area who is innocently "plinking" is automatically circumventing this brilliant regulation...and is therefore a poacher.
    Plans and dreams are what we have until life gets in the way.

XNGH E Clampus Vitus, Platrix Chapter No. 2 "Credo Quia Absurdum"

Boolit Master

target practicing OK

Quote Originally Posted by 38 Super Auto View Post
    Newtire, I am sorry to hear that. Didn't the CA legislature pass a bill recently requiring guns to imprint some type of ID on the case? What are the details on that?
    No law about the ID imprint yet but I heard rumors here on this site. Now that would be pretty disastrous. This lead ban doesn't have anything to do with target shooting, only hunting. I asked about wheelweights and that's when they explained that it had to do with the condors eating the meat around the boolit hole that was contaminated with lead particles. So, until they find out that there are endangered paper eating wasps, the target shooters are safe. I guess we can just go to aluminum cans then. I'm buying stock in Alcoa. California is such a screwed up state. Lord, please get me transplanted.

The Microstamping Bill passed and Arnold signed it. From what I can tell its only for new models of semi auto pistols but I'm sure they'll get around to all of them yet. Yeah, I want out of this place too.

Swamprat

When does that microstamping thing take effect?

when the technology becomes available from at least 2 sources, free of licensing entanglements...in other words, in about 200 years. Political grandstanding.

Another good reason to migrate to the free world.

They 'tried out' the idea of lead-free on us here in Arizona in a AZGFD meeting and we kindly told them where to put it. AZ Game & Fish Dept said they had no intentions of enacting it unless we AZ hunters 'asked' for it. At least , at this point!
    Even got the NRA members stirred up here! So far, so good....
    Jon H in AZ
    If it doesn't fit, DON'T force it! Get a bigger HAMMER.

When does that microstamping thing take effect?
    2010 is when it is supposed to take effect buy it probably won't happen until MUCH later. There is something interesting in the wording of the law that states that the process must be "unencumbered by patents" which won't happen until 2023 or so.

Check out Calguns.net for info on all things shooting in CA

Check out this link on microstamping
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=72049

I just saw something about condors on the news the other day that made me further question this whole issue. Apparently they brought in a sick bird and when they X-rayed it they found it's stomach full of junk. Yep. All kinds of asst. junk. Apparently when these birds are reddy to breed they start picking up bone and othe naturally occuring items that supposedly help to strengthen the eggs. These captive raised birds which were then released apparently can't distinguish the junk from the stuff they need. It make one wonder if the birds that have been found to have high lead levels are not finding it in sources other than bullets.

Boolit Buddy

The lead restrictions law had no scientific basis at all. It was pushed by our political and animal rights groups. But now we are stuck with it. The environmental and anti-gun groups here have also made lead shot on the ranges a legal liability issue, and would love to do away with all lead just to render all firearms inoperable.

The ammo imprinting will be expanded to other types of firearms, just wait and watch. Then they will forbid the transfer or resale of any non-imprinting firearm. I am also sure they will bring back the serial-numbered ammo bill. Which, last version I read, also made possession of unserial numbered ammo a crime.

If the economy was in decent shape, I would be getting ready to sell this house and move somewhere sane. Though that list seems to be getting shorter every year.

OeldeWolf
    OeldeWolf
    who may yet be kicked out of the Republik of Kalifornia for owning too many firearms.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain, to eat only vegetables!

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Obviously, the Kalifornia legislature is a bunch of commies. It's going to take some national laws to get them under control, if it can be done at all. Hopefully, the whole thing will go to federal court and be struck down some day.

Dave

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    Obviously, the Kalifornia legislature is a bunch of commies. It's going to take some national laws to get them under control, if it can be done at all. Hopefully, the whole thing will go to federal court and be struck down some day.

Dave
    I believe that will be proved as one of the area's that States have rights. Chalk one up for the Constitution. Change in Ca. should come from within. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    No argument there, Gianni. The best way might be to change from within California to outside California.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

to the People's Republic of California

Sometimes you just have to vote with your feet. California is so far gone I cannot see the conservative constituents turning it around. Our founding fathers said this would happen; they also foresaw the need to occasionally "start over" if you catch my drift.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by black44hawk View Post
    Sometimes you just have to vote with your feet. California is so far gone I cannot see the conservative constituents turning it around. Our founding fathers said this would happen; they also foresaw the need to occasionally "start over" if you catch my drift.
    Yes they certainly did.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Condor Lead Ammunition Ban Expanded by Court Settlement

A legal settlement approved by the Court has expanded the lead ammunition ban currently in place in Condor “range” in California, an expansive area in south and central California. The settlement requires the California fish and game agencies to ban the use of lead ammunition for killing animals under “depredation” permits, effective immediately. The settlement also requires the agencies to propose a regulation in May 2009 banning lead ammunition in the taking of jackrabbits and other hares, several species of rabbit, and tree squirrels in Condor range. The groups involved in the lawsuit, including the Center for Biological Diversity, have vowed to push for a ban on lead ammunition for all hunting throughout the state.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by USARO4 View Post
    Another good reason to migrate to the free world.
    When the libs in my state metastasize to your state and others where will us conservatives be able to flee TO. Some of us are doing our best to fight, but sometimes you feel like the little Dutch boy running out of fingers to stick in the dike.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast