WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 45 colt destroyed

I still would like to know what that pistol would have had to look like for someone to say. "BAD METAL" or "The Pistol Failed".
    It's easy to blame the ammo when there's NO way to rule it out after the fact.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    Gotta wonder what they would have said had you not told them you were shooting reloads.

Super Moderator

I did this through not paying attention, and thinking I was a very safe reloader. This happened maybe 20 years ago and was the result of a double charge of IMR 4227 under the Lyman 311284. The rifle was a nice old Springfield NRA Sporter. The only thing left of value was the trigger guard and buttplate. No one was hurt so all turned out okay considering the alternatives. If me showing this photo, same as the OP being man enough to display his, and it prevents this from happening to anyone else it will be time well spent. In case anyone is interested, the 218gr Lyman slug tripped the PACT Chrono at a tad over 3,000 fps.

.................Buckshot
    Last edited by Buckshot; 06-13-2014 at 12:00 AM.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    These threads always make me want to load a powder that fills over half the case.

Then the cheapskate in me takes over and I buy more fast burning stuff. Hope it doesn't turn out to be expensive in the long run.
    Rule 303

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    These threads always make me want to load a powder that fills over half the case.
    Start shooting black powder! In a 45 Colt, 30 -35grs of powder looks like Mt Everest in the case! Double charge and the spilled powder will be all over the press and on your loading bench ... especially using a progress press like a Dillon. Yep, I use a 550B for my BP reloads
    Plus ... original gunpowder is a weak powder! One can compress the powder column to the lips like a brick and you'll have heavier recoil but NEVER will your firearm be damaged
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

And besides that it's just plain fun!!!!

Boolit Master

Thank you for sharing. A very good reminder how quickly things can change. Posts like this help all who read them stay sharp. I'm oh so glad there were no injuries.
    Jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master
    OMG! Well all I can and will say is I also thank you for sharing, and for the education here. I am glad you and none of yours were hurt, but please don't give up on the LC, it is a great gun.

as to the weigh cases comment, I weigh all of my reloads, cases, bullets, charges, knowing the numbers will be different, I weigh whole match, and am still afraid of an over charge. Yes it takes all day, but I have today, might not have tomorrow.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master
    is this the same gun with the timing issue about a month ago? could that have been the real culprit again?
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

I recently acquired a Uberti .45 Cattleman, took it apart & cleaned it well. I noticed on reassembly that the cylinder seemed out of time, played around with it a bit and noted that (unlike the Blackhawks) the cylinder pin did not lock positively into the frame- it seemed as though there was a "stop" when it was dang near seated all the way, but allowed the cylinder to turn but mis-time, then a second stop when the pin was all the way in that removed all the slop and allowed the cylinder to fully engage the locking mechanism. Just a thought....
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Master

I was trying to figure out how to get a double charge on my Lee pro-1000 progressive and was unable too until I found one of my Pro-Auto-Disk powder measures was loose enough to reset itself from its own weight. Then by retracting the ram about 1/3 stroke and extending it again I could get a double charge. My fix was easy, simply prevent the auto-disk from resetting itself.
    I made a spring clip that catches and holds the powder lever. Then since the Lee rest chain often got tangled and broke I replaced it with a bent coat hanger. Finally since the autodisk and bullet feeder interfere I made a new bracket and moved the autodisk actuator over to where the primer lockout screw is. Now without breaking something on the press I can't get a double-charge. I still have a light so I can visually check the charge as I place the bullet.

It's great that no injuries were sustained. I double charged a couple of times on a 550B, but caught it. Also had erratic charges due to bridging in the drop tube on my LNL AP. All caught by good lighting and the hairy eyeball. Everyone screws up sometime, you just have to be careful and take your time.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

The truth is this happens every once in a while here and it serves to keep us all vigilant. You have THE case for a double charge, as a .45 colt is almost large enough for a triple charge. I usually double charge a case at the end of a run and put it in the block to visually check all the cases to see if they look like a 2x'er.
    The main thing is you're ok, and I think maybe a pride band-aid is in order. Get another .45 colt and keep on slingin' lead.
    (maybe you could put the cylinder back in and "display" it at a locally owned gun store to help serve as a reminder to always be vigilant!)

Can't order one of those out of the catalog (unless china's getting into the business)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    Final word

Its hard to read.

Condition received --- Poor ... Firearm has Catostrophic incident top strap has bowed upwards & cylinder has been blown apart.

6-5-14. Gun has been blown up by overcharged ammo.
    RO spoke with customer, customer was using reloads Not warranty. Marked unsafe to fire. Sent back to customer.

Their we have it folks.

Thanks all lesson learned. Weigh your loaded rounds when using large cases with small loads.
    Glad they marked it "unsafe to fire". I might have stuck a cork in the barrel, filled with blackpowder and given it a whirl.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Start shooting black powder! In a 45 Colt, 30 -35grs of powder looks like Mt Everest in the case! Double charge and the spilled powder will be all over the press and on your loading bench ... especially using a progress press like a Dillon. Yep, I use a 550B for my BP reloads
    Plus ... original gunpowder is a weak powder! One can compress the powder column to the lips like a brick and you'll have heavier recoil but NEVER will your firearm be damaged
    Or fill it full of Trailboss (if you can find it)! The important thing is no-one was hurt.

BTW: thanks for the pictures and the reminder to concentrate on what you are doing and always double check the charges before seating.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I guess once the OP said 'reloads' that was the end of the discussion as far us Uberti was concerned. And the guy on the phone didnt have to be rude, but again now that its not a warranty issue, maybe customer service is no longer required.

[QUOTE=Buckshot;

I did this through not paying attention, and thinking I was a very safe reloader. This happened maybe 20 years ago and was the result of a double charge of IMR 4227 under the Lyman 311284. The rifle was a nice old Springfield NRA Sporter. The only thing left of value was the trigger guard and buttplate. No one was hurt so all turned out okay considering the alternatives. If me showing this photo, same as the OP being man enough to display his, and it prevents this from happening to anyone else it will be time well spent. In case anyone is interested, the 218gr Lyman slug tripped the PACT Chrono at a tad over 3,000 fps.

.................Buckshot[/QUOTE]

Buckshot, thanks for including the MV, that's one of the most interesting pieces of info on this thread.

Say . . . I saw an NRA sporter in a shop recently. I noticed it was a low-numbered receiver (heat treatment problems). I mentioned it to the clerk, who pretended ignorance and put it back on the rack. I am sure he knew the problem before he showed it to me, and counted on my ignorance. Also that he'll sell it to somebody who doesn't know.

Any chance yours was a low-number receiver?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post

.................Buckshot
    There you go trying to push the velocity envelope again! I heard it could be dangerous
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    I am going to throw my 2 cents in the ring even though I KNOW I am late to the conversation.

I have seen blown revolvers before, mostly clones, and mostly due to double charges, OR overpower loads. What strikes me in THIS case is that the brass of BOTH of the rounds to either side of the failure seem to be blown out pretty cleanly and evenly for a double charge. I know that a double charge is most likely, I am not disputing that. I am always terrified of doing it myself. I am wondering if it wasn't due to a air pocket, or fault in the steel used to cut the cylinder from. I wouldn't rule that out either. Would it make me even more vigilant in my reloading? Yes. Would I automatically assume it was a double charge? No. I have seen some clones that had cylinder throats that were either too far under spec or too far over. Heck my own blackhawk had one chamber that I suspected was the culprit to why I ALWAYS had one flier out of six rounds. When measured it turned out the cylinder throat on that chamber, and ONLY that chamber was .447. Not .452-453 like the rest. Ruger offered to fix it, but a buddy had just bought a throat reaming kit for his 45 colt to fix a similar problem so we just did it ourselves. I still shudder to think about what that chamber might have done if I had been shooting anything but soft lead cowboy loads.

My point is that if the chamber had a defect, and if the throats were on the small side, and if the bullets were on the large side it wouldn't take an incredible number of rounds to blow the cylinder due to continued weakening of the chamber wall until it failed. Honestly we will never know.

Like others I echo the fact that at least nobody got hurt and that's the most important thing.

BTW Yes if ever you send a gun to a manufacturer with damage and tell them you reload you pretty well automatically go to the "it's the end user's fault" line.

Also I noticed that the reload data on the sheet with the PB powder says 45 ACP. I am not saying that it IS the cause of a failure, but that isn't the reload data you used is it?

Thanks

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Goodolboy

Nope that was not the reloading data that I was using for the lc.

I also reload 45 acp as well

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast