Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 45 colt destroyed

Pc as in powder coated?
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Powder coat HF red yellow mix

Boolit Buddy
    That cylinder metal looks pretty granulated.
    Domari Nolo

Boolit Grand Master

Weak cases don't blow revolvers up. Autos with unsupported chambers are a different matter. SAAMI max for 45 Colt is 14,000

http://www.lasc.us/SAAMIMaxPressure.htm

http://www.shootersforum.com/handgun...57-magnum.html
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-27-2014 at 12:12 AM.

How its made.

Uberti colt 45

http://youtu.be/qYOJa8ZNxmE

I've had wild powdercoating build up aswell. No lead with it and nothing that would cause kaboom.

Boolit Grand Master

The three times normal pressure proof load is BS. The SAMMI for 44 mag is 36,000 PSI. 36,000 times 3 = 108,000 PSI. In a 45 Colt 14,000 x 3 = 42,000 PSI. Ruger BH or RH yes but a Colt clone no. Hot Ruger only loads will take them apart. The Itallian proof houses if I remember correctly use 1.5 X service pressure loads so for 45 Colt proof pressure would have been 14,000 + 7,000 = 21,000 psi.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-27-2014 at 01:17 AM.

Boolit Master
    I think you may want to go back and double check your load data. The 6.4 gr you used is the start load listed for a LRNFP. Lyman lists a start load of 7.7gr of PB for the 452460 SWC. I don't know if it would be the difference, but you said is was a swc and Lyman shows it would be an undercharge.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The three times normal pressure proof load is BS. The SAMMI for 44 mag is 36,000 PSI. 36,000 times 3 = 108,000 PSI. In a 45 Colt 14,000 x 3 = 42,000 PSI. Ruger yes but a Colt clone no. Hot Ruger only loads will take them apart. The Itallian proof houses if I remember correctly use 1.5 X service pressure loads so for 45 Colt proof pressure would have been 14.000 + 7.000 = 21.000 psi.
    I found the 3x proof claim odd also. You don't hear claims more than 2x proof much. There ain't anywhere near the amount of metal on that clone as a gp100.

Boolit Master
    For what it's worth, IMO, too much pressure. Looks identical to several gross overcharges/double charges in various revolvers I've inspected- no matter the powder. Does not look like squib followed by normal firing.

The only other VERY REMOTE possibility considering the PB powder, that comes to mind, would be a SEE/ stop-start-stop scenario. Those start-stop-start type SEEs in revolvers usually associated with weak primers, slow ball powders, contaminated powders, cold temps. PB powder is not known as a culprit for this type SEE.

Banned
    Its tough to see a gun destroyed and tougher yet when its your own. Seeing this make s me not want to shoot the Colt clone that I just repaired that belonged to my father when he was alive or the S&W 25-5 that I purchased at the last gun show. After seeing this I can't even get myself to finish reloading the 45LC brass that is waiting in my tote.Attachment 106232

in Remebrance
    Flyingmonkey, re: post #6. A max charge is not the maximum amount that will fit in the case as your post would imply. It is the maximum amount of powder of a particular burning rate that is safe to use in a particular cartridge with a particular bullet. You could easily, and probably did, have a double charge of powder in that case, the symptoms are correct for that scenario. I'm pretty darn sure you will be on your own when the factory finds out you were shooting reloads. Suggestion: change your procedures to make sure that never happens again. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

What would that revolver have to look like for someone to say, "That metal was weak" or "Obvious failure of the firearm?"
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JHeath View Post
    Hmmm . . . probably a multiple charge overpressure caused by concentrating 5 loaded chambers into a posting on the single-shot forum.
    It's a single shot now. I see these often enough to think that fast burning powders in big cases,where a double load isn't all that visible even when you look in the cases, is a really BAD idea. The last one was a 44mag Ruger with a pop gun load, according to it's owner. So even the highly touted
    Rugers are capable of failing if the ammo maker has his wheels up while landing.
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    The most important thing is that no one was hurt...
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

I did mention that even though I use a progressive press I only do one case at a time for the lc. Again not saying a double charge is impossible just unlikely

Boolit Buddy
    Texassako made a good point above, what do you think?

Just got off the phone with Uberti.

They want the gun back for investigation. If no warranty defect found they will send it to the ammunition manufacture in this case me.

5-6 week turnaround.

Will post results.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Glad you didn't get hurt! I imagine that it was quite a surprise to say the least.

I'm thinking a possible double charge? If you had a squib, if it was part way dan the barrel, you should have had barrel damage. If it was just past the forcing cone, it still seems like there would be more damage at the barrel breech? Pretty easy to be a "arm chair quarterback" though.

The 1st thing to remember is that even though the pistol is fairly new - it can be replaced. Your hands, fingers, eyes, etc. can't be. We're all just glad you're O.K.

2nd - Don't feel foolish - feel happy you weren't hurt. It could be the pistol itself - some good comments in regards to possible cylinder flaws, etc. - or it could be a double charge - or ???. And chances are - you might never know. Uberti sure needs to know about it though so IF there is a problem, they can address it and follow up on it. I have a feeling they'll want you to ship it to them so they can take a look at it. What the outcome is, is anybody's guess.

I have had one squib, which fortunately I was paying attention and I caught it (in my Smith Model 36). As soon as it happened, I had a flashback to when I was loading the batch of cartridges and my wife interrupted me - it was my fault. I should have dumped everything and started over - sure taught me a lesson!)

Good luck and let us know how it all irons out for you. A shame but again, you are alright and that's the important thing. And trust me . . . . you're "learning experience" is also "our learning experience". Good luck!

Boolit Master
    Large case+small charge of fast burning powder+Lee progressive(or any other progressive)=KABOOM (sooner or later)!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast