RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bullet lube for a non heated sizer

Boolit Master
    SPG lube works just fine. .38 special, .45 Colt, and 44-40.

Boolit Buddy

Before the base heaters were available I just hit the sizer with a propane torch till the hard cold lube started to flow into the grease grooves of my cast boolits.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    Before the base heaters were available I just hit the sizer with a propane torch till the hard cold lube started to flow into the grease grooves of my cast boolits.
    Surely that ruins the paint?? I've managed to keep my RCBS Lubrisizer like new for over 40 years and don't think I could stand to put a flame to it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    If your into making you own, Ben's Red works without a heater for me.
    +1 on The Ben’s red! As a matter of fact the last thing you want is a heater when using Ben’s red! Use the heater and you’ll wind up with a puddle on the floor!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Lars Carnube Red is a great lube. Heat your lubersizer up with a hair drier and give it a touch of heat as the work progresses. You don't want a heat free lube. gets tto soft even in Washington summers.

Boolit Buddy

I use my own lube mix. It is a mix of bees wax, Johnsons Industrial stick wax for saw blades cutting aluminum and a stick of automotive moly-grease. It does require a heater. Have 5 Star Magma sizers that all have base heaters. Also have 4 Old Lyman 45's and 450's. I fire up my propane torch and warm up my Lyman sizers before I begin to size up a batch of boolits. If I am sizing up a larger batch I just warm up the sizer again with the propane torch. Has worked for years! I don't like soft lube as it melts too easily. If the ammo warms up in the summer the lube can get soft.

I make my own NRA Lube with ATF and make it as soft as I want it to be by how much you put of one thing. You need to test to see how much of it . That is ATF . I use the heater at times but most of the time I do not , I use it in the Lyman 450 . I use the same lube in all the cals. I load and no problems.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

No heat is required for Lithi-Bee Lubricant .
    The maker I used to buy it from ( Garth Choate) got out of the lube making business ... but gave me the "recipe" and said it was easy to make .

1 part Lithium Grease ( automitive , Lucas Red-N-Tacky #2 - part no. 10574 )
    3 parts Beeswax

The "parts" are by weight ... 1 lb. grease to 3 lbs beeswax ... or you can cut those amounts in half . Any lithium wheel bearing automotive type grease will work ...
    do not use "white lithium grease " it's a different type .

I started making my own after finding out how simple it is .This lube is as good or better than NRA Alox-Beeswa 50-50 lube . The Alox formula was changed and the new stuff isn't as good as the old alox ...that was why Garth went to the Lithi-Bee lube , he claimed it is better and he's right .
    Never needs a heater to flow and if too soft you can add up to 1 part Gulf Wax Paraffin Wax to the mix to firm it up .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 03-26-2024 at 04:09 PM. Reason: add Up To 1 part paraffin wax ...
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I use White Lable 50/50 and I have to use a bit of heat when my room gets cold. I guess I don't have to, but it sure makes it easier. I just use an old hairdryer.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Banner Sponsor

My first heater was an old clothes Iron set on a steel plate that the Lyman 450 was mounted to. I'd just plug it in until the body of the luber got warm and the lube started to flow, then turn it off and start sizing...

Search reptile heater into Amazon and you'll find many inexpensive ways to heat your lubrisizer. Lube should be chosen for performance in the gun, not the lubrisizer.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

It is my Firm opinion that soft lubes are better , in handgun boolits , than hard lube .
    I have picked up way too many berm boolits with the hard lube still in the boolit lube groove ... it is doing no good there , you want it coating the barrel !

That's my story and I'm sticking to it !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I have used a hair dryer and got it flowing when I used it. I now powder coat my cast.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    No heat is required for Lithi-Bee Lubricant .
    The maker I used to buy it from ( Garth Choate) got out of the lube making business ... but gave me the "recipe" and said it was easy to make .

1 part Lithium Grease ( automitive , Lucas Red-N-Tacky #2 - part no. 10574 )
    3 parts Beeswax

The "parts" are by weight ... 1 lb. grease to 3 lbs beeswax ... or you can cut those amounts in half . Any lithium wheel bearing automotive type grease will work ...
    do not use "white lithium grease " it's a different type .

I started making my own after finding out how simple it is .This lube is as good or better than NRA Alox-Beeswa 50-50 lube . The Alox formula was changed and the new stuff isn't as good as the old alox ...that was why Garth went to the Lithi-Bee lube , he claimed it is better and he's right .
    Never needs a heater to flow and if too soft you can add up to 1 part Gulf Wax Paraffin Wax to the mix to firm it up .
    Gary
    I am getting started casting for rifle and pistol. #429421 for 44 mag, Lee 200 gr. SWC for my 45 acp, and 311291 for my 30-30 and 30-06. is there a different mix for rifle vs pistol?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    I am getting started casting for rifle and pistol. #429421 for 44 mag, Lee 200 gr. SWC for my 45 acp, and 311291 for my 30-30 and 30-06. is there a different mix for rifle vs pistol?
    This is the only mix that I know of .
    1 part Lucas Red-N-Tacky Lithium Grease /
    3 parts Beeswax . Never any leading in any of my handguns or 30-30 rifle with Lithi-Bee ... using it since 1978 when the maker told me he thought it was better than NRA 50/50 with the reformulated alox - beeswax .
    When they changed the alox formula ... they messed it up for bullet lube ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    This is the only mix that I know of .
    1 part Lucas Red-N-Tacky Lithium Grease /
    3 parts Beeswax . Never any leading in any of my handguns or 30-30 rifle with Lithi-Bee ... using it since 1978 when the maker told me he thought it was better than NRA 50/50 with the reformulated alox - beeswax .
    When they changed the alox formula ... they messed it up for bullet lube ...
    Gary
    so, how do you mix this?

Boolit Grand Master

Felix World Famous Lube. Recipe in the lube stickies.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

Triggerhappy243 ... I mix Lithi-Bee like this :
    I use a Crock Pot and stiff Wire whisk . Put the beeswax and grease in the crock pot on High . Have the lid and fire extinguisher at hand in case the beeswax "flashes" and bursts into flame ... the lid can smother the fire and the extinguisher ...in case things get outta hand .
    The beeswax will melt ... the grease only softens ... so as soon as the beeswax starts to melt ... start blending with the wire whisk and blend the mix as well as you can . stop , turn off pot and let cool ... do this two more times .
    The melting , blending and cooling three times gets the mix well blended without burning or scorching the ingredients . So far I have never had it flash fire on me but I'm careful about overheating the beeswax ...400 degrees or about , is where it will burst into flame ... And high heat for a long time will damage the beeswax ...
    that's why the crock pot , getting it to melt , stirring and shut off the heat , three times , letting cool between each mixing ... helps with not scorching the beeswax .

My wife tells me my crock pot , on high , will get to about 280 - 300 degrees F ... that's great ! It should be a safe way to melt beeswax , it melts nicely at about 150 degrees F and stays away from that 400 degree flash / burn temperature .

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 04-06-2024 at 05:47 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    i use a crock pot and stiff wire whisk . Put the beeswax and grease in the crock pot on high . Have the lid and fire extinguisher at hand in case the beeswax "flashes" and bursts into flame ... The lid can smother the fire and the extinguisher ...in case things get outta hand .
    The beeswax will melt ... The grease only softens ... So as soon as the beeswax starts to melt ... Start blending with the wire whisk and blend the mix as well as you can . Stop , turn off pot and let cool ... Do this two more times .
    The melting , blending and cooling three times gets the mix well blended without burning or scorching the ingredients . So far i have never had it flash fire on me but i'm careful about overheating the beeswax ...400 degrees or about , is where it will burst into flame ... And high heat for a long time will damage the beeswax ...
    That's why the crock pot , getting it to melt , stirring and shut off the heat , three times , letting cool between each mixing ... Helps with not scorching the beeswax .
    Gary
    thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12