Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet lube for a non heated sizer

Boolit Buddy

Bullet lube for a non heated sizer

What bullet lube works best in a non heated sizer. Will doing 38 and 45 colt for cowboy. So fair low velocity stuff.
    Shop temp winter 45. Summer 80.
    Can blow a space heater at the sizer.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Boolit Bub
    White Label Lube, BAC.

White Label Lube 50-50

Boolit Grand Master

BAC or 50/50 would be my vote. I'd like to recommend 2500+ but I've had to use a heater in the winter months to get it to flow.

http://www.lsstuff.com/store/

I also would recommend White Label BAC. I have had great results with in numerous pistol calibers with my Lyman 450 with no heater. If you ever get into rifle, White Label 2500 is great, but like mentioned above, during the winter cold you may have to heat the lube-sizer with a heat gun to get it flowing.

If your into making you own, Ben's Red works without a heater for me.

Boolit Buddy
    So how many boolits will a 1 stick do? looking at 38 or 45 lc with 1 lube groove.

Boolit Grand Master

I never bothered to count. Pretty sure I did a couple thousand w/ one bag which has 6, I think, sticks in it. Found out yesterday that the limit is 80 sticks for a medium flat rate box. I'm trying to squeeze every penny right now.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I use a 40 watt bulb in a flexible-neck desk lamp, aimed at my sizer and I can use any lube. The harder ones require a little more wait until the thing warms up a bit, but if you want harder lube, use a little bigger bulb.
    Cowboy action, you could easily use beeswax/vaseline and no heat and be pretty happy.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Some sort of 50/50 mix would work. Half beeswax and the other half either Vaseline or lithium grease.

I don't know that anything will flow well at 45 degrees that wouldn't be a runny mess in the summer. You will need to heat it up to at least an approximation of room temperature or you will break something trying to get it to flow.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

TAC 1 is another great choice..Just PM me after you decide..Here are all the details on ordering.. Easy to order fast delivery and high performance lube with low smoke all at a great price.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...old-sprue-lube

Boolit Master
    Yep, BAC is one of the good ones, and you must be kidding about buying "1" stick.

There are very good lubes at very good prices from a number of sources and that makes home brew a questionable venture at best.

Have about a half of a #10 tin sitting on the counter where it has been for a couple of years.

Haven't taken the time/trouble to get into sticks mostly because of the great and well priced lubes offered.

I hate the process of melting lube to pour into the sizer/luber, so That is another thing in favor of buying my lube with the hole in the center.

Randyrat's lube looks to be one of the good ones, and the prices are good.

I do like the availability of the plastic tubes available with the White Label Lubes like BAC, but can't see that as a deal breaker. I have some LBT - blue soft - sitting here without the tubes, but the tubes are nice for storage and keeping the lube clean.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    Last edited by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot; 05-28-2014 at 05:23 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

If you order them in a bag from Lars that's what they come in, a ziploc bag. Keep them in the box they came in or any other storage method you desire and they stay nice and clean.

Boolit Master
    Yep, I have mine in bags, but I also paid the extra for the plastic tubes. Worth it to me.

Keep hoping the LFT soft blue doesn't melt down into a big blue lump!

CDOC

Boolit Buddy
    I was not thinking of buying just 1. . Trying to figure out how many I need to buy, so if I know how many 1 does then I know how many I need. Thanks for the help for a newbie.

Boolit Master
    Mach Cat,

For handgun loads other then maybe the most extreme, making a lube for that use is not rocket science. I used my home brew for my .44 mag loads with no problem other then listed in the example below.

I made it for years, and most concoctions worked. Only failure I recall was one time when I had made the lube too soft.

So, with that in mind, pick a good lube such as that from Randy Rat, or one of the White Label lubes such as BAC or a LBT product and buy a good supply.

It will last on the shelf a long time, so look at the cost of product and cost of shipping and buy enough to get a good value for your money.

The products are so good, and many of the prices so reasonable, it is not worth making your own.

As said, made mine for handguns for year, However, when I went to shooting the 45/70 with cast bullets for hunting I wanted to hedge my bets with what was likely a better product so tried a few commercial lubes. Now I just use a commercial lube for everything.

With a rifle/scope combination, you may be able to see a difference between lubes. I thought I did between the LBT soft blue and the White Label "BAC".

Haven't tried Randy Rat's product, but can't help but think it is one of the good ones and will shoot better in your handguns then you can.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    I will add a vote for TAC 1. My garage gets to the low 40's and up to the 90's. It works fine at all those temps through my Lyman 450. Works great in my handgun calibers and have used it up to 2000 fps in rifles so far in Texas summer heat and our winter.

Boolit Mold
    I make my own 50/50 beeswax and Crisco. Have shot CAS for years with this lube. Black powder and smokeless.
    The only draw back is bullets are very "tacky/sticky". I usually only lube the amount of bullets I'm going to load in the near future and keep them separate in the 50 count plastic cartridge holders that new cartridges come in. I put them in the cartridge holder point end first and then flip them upside down next to reloader and then they are all standing right side up ready to be loaded. I melt the lube in a double boiler and fill the luber reservoir as needed.

Boolit Grand Master

Tac-1 here. Awesome stuff. I spent lots of money on a popular blue lube, but found Tac-1 to be just as good and he has an order for Tac-2 (harder than Tac-1) heading my way now. Can't wait as I needed a re supply.

Boolit Master
    I've never done any kind of scientific testing on lubes so not going to recommend any particular one. Regarding how many bullets a stick of lube will do, its way more than you might expect. I think I get around 1,000 bullets and maybe even more with a stick. It takes at least 1 stick to fill the lubrisizer when you 1st buy it though so you have to account for that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast