Load DataWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2

Thread: Will people generally trade pure stick on wheel weights for clip ons?

Boolit Buddy

Will people generally trade pure stick on wheel weights for clip ons?

I believe the musket people need pure for lead ball. Shotgun, too? Would it be reasonable to ask to trade straight up stick on wheel weight for clip on in even pound for pound trade?

Boolit Buddy
    The trade is fair enough......it really just depends on what the individual needs. "Pure" lead is often sold at a higher price, but it is the least valuable to me for the shooting I do. I'd trade pure for COWW any day. Just a matter of finding the right person that makes the trade mutually beneficial.

Boolit Master
    It would also depend upon wether shipping entered the deal. Face to face in quantity is always preferred to shipping expense and
    travel to and from the post office to drop off boxes. And the extra work in packing and tape adds needlessly to the cost of a trade.
    Dusty

Boolit Master

Kenn
    You show up in Amarllo, and I will trade you pound for pound, stick on for clip on wheelweights
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Skeet,

I travel a lot, but Amarillo isn't one of them. Thanks for the offer, though. I'll post in one of my local forums and see what I can come up with.

Thanks guys...

Boolit Master
    kenn, do you travel to or thru albuquerque?

Boolit Buddy
    Trigger,

I'm mostly international travel, unfortunately. If I do domestic, it's to Houston, New York, and Silicon Valley (by air).

wouldnt they love that as carry on luggage :P

the problem with stick on's is that like ww's there is no set "recipe", some feller got real lucky and found a bunch of what seemed to be pure tin stick on's ( there's a posting around here somewheres about it ) usually they are softer than clip on's but again it isnt set in stone , iirc there has even been zinc clip on's and of late alot of iron/steel ones , i blend mine in as soft lead but not pure lead , pure lead indeed commands a premium , in fact if you can prove that it's pre-nuclear age lead there are companies online who pay a premium for it , figure the nuclear age started 1930's or perhaps a wee bit before ( definitely anything before x-rays ) most consider the atomic bombs in japan the start of the atomic age but in reality it was the trinity testing ,
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

It's a matter of what the person needs. Someone with a big stash of type lead might need plain lead to cut it with. And the exchange does not have to be 1:1 trade. The party with the more valuable commodity might trade 1# for 1.5 or 2 lbs. of the less valued lead.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks all. When I reach the appropriate number of posts (that are at least somewhat relevant), I'll post up in the trading forum and see if I can find someone. I have a source of "free" lead (bucket plus donuts) but they will only have a full bucket every 3 months or so as it's a small shop. This last bucket was heaped over the top (5 gal) and about 1/3 of the total mass was iron and zinc. Of the remaining lead about 2/3 is clip on and 1/3 is stick on. I'm guessing I could mix some up as I'll be doing .45 and trying to PC but I definitely would prefer to just stick with clip ons and have a somewhat consistent alloy for all my casting. If it comes to it, I'll blend by weight and maybe go 70% clip and 30% stick and see if I can avoid leading. That will use up most of the stick on.

Boolit Master

Kenn
    Might help if we had some idea where you reside??
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Keep all the soft lead you can find! You need it to mix with lino, type, and other alloys.....including COWW's!

I just bought 250# of straight soft 3/16" thick sheet lead for that exact purpose.

You can NEVER have enough lead........of ANY type!

bangerjim

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    You can NEVER have enough lead........of ANY type!
    bangerjim

Boolit Buddy
    Lol, Thanks. I'll edit my profile. Austin, Texas area.

Boolit Master

Yes!

The trick is to get only the pure lead stick-ons in the mix. Then you'll have 0.25% Tin and 99.75% Lead, which is darn close to Pure Lead. Great for the Muzzle loader crowd. The Tape-A-Weights and similar weights are this mix. My testing has confirmed the Tin content so far.

An even trade, your soft lead stick-ons for their harder clip-on weights would be a good deal for them. You'd likely get a lot of interest!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

I think an even up trade is fair when it comes to lead on this forum, and I've been on both sides of the street (hard lead/pure lead). However, I have found it harder and harder to trade lead, so I have had to revert to selling one kind to buy another. It works out the same in the end, except for usually minor differences in price. Even if the difference is more than expected, I would not have the lead I want otherwise. Either way, you still have to box and ship lead.

I traded some COWW ingots a couple of months ago for some lead pipe, even up. We both thought we both got the better part of the deal! Great trade. However, as I said above, trades are getting harder for me to find, though I have not had to advertise for such for a while.

I have sold a lot of lead to one member directly without going through S&S once I got to know him, and bought lead the same way. Just love this website!