Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which of These Do You Prefer?

Boolit Master

Which of These Do You Prefer?

I'm in the market for a carry gun. At this time I prefer a semi-auto. Two that I am considering are:

S&W Model SW1911SC
    http://tinyurl.com/n8v2plk

or

Kimber Super Carry Pro
    http://tinyurl.com/kl62s5g

Obviously, my preference is a lightweight commander model. I have other all steel 1911's and enjoy shooting them. I just don't want to carry one. At my age, I don't think I could wear out an aluminum frame gun. You would think an old guy would not be impressed by appearance, but I am impressed with these two.

Here's hoping that those with more experience than I have can give me reasons pro and con.
    John
    W.TN

I have a couple of Kimbers. Great guns.

Banned
    I have an SC frame S&W commander. Its very nice and out of the box the trigger was good to go for a carry gun. I like the exteranl extractor (sorry JM Browning) and it has worked well unlike some others 1911s that have tried (and failed). The alloy frame does recoil more than my full size steel guns but you know this going in so not really an issue. Only gripe I have is the mags that came with mine SUCKED and have been destroyed so that no one else ever wastes time with them. I bought the gun very slightly used so its possible the mags were after market but have been replaced with Wilsons.

Boolit Master
    Both guns are nice looking, had issues with S&W years back and just haven't felt the need to give them any of my money since.

Nothing to do with thier guns just a political attitude I think has never really changed.

Kimber's are great guns, must be 5 or 6 in the family but I find them to big for comfortable carry.

A carry gun is just that: A pistol you carry in case a problem arises Not a gun you go looking for trouble with, there is a difference!

For such carry needs I bought a a Star Firestar in 9mm, a little on the heavy side but as a lefty the ambi safety played a big part in my choice.

Were I right handed several Star's come to mind: the 9mm BK and BKM ( the alloy frame) and the Star PD in 45 ACP

I have shot many versions of both models and never had one fail to feed or fire and all hit the center of the target at ranges out to 25 yards .

All of these Star's are running in the 300 to 400 range when you can find them, I think I've seen Sarco advertising some Star BKM's recently in shotgun news.

if a 9mm will get it done for you check out the BKM if ya gotta have a 45 see a PD it is a a 25 oz gun empty and much smaller than a Commander.

A great carry a lot shoot it a little gun designed for just that self defense.

Don't sell these gun short they are a great deal for a reasonable price!

I would go for the Smith out of those two. I hate bull barrels on 1911s though. They take away from lines of the basic pistol design. The Smith also has a factory round butt option that helps reduce printing. Have you looked at Colt's lightweight commander? Is it stainless which can be a plus for a carry gun.

Tough choices,

Patrick

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I have carried both a full size Springfield Armory 1911A1 and a Colt combat commander for years.
    Weight and size is not an issue.
    I have no particular use for an external extractor on a 1911 pattern autoloader. I am sure they work just fine...I just don't want one on my carry gun, to each his own.

I'm sure the smith is fine, never fired one. My edc right now is a Kimber Ultra CDP II in a Foxx Hybrid holster. The only thing I did was changed the grips because the ones it came with were too pretty to bang around every day.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Love Life
    Neither, for the amount of money they ask for them.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the suggestions. By way of explanation, I'm at a point in my life(I'll be 72 in July) that I would like to get a carry gun that is not a compromise and a custom or semi-custom sporting handgun(think Freedom Arms or Bowen).

For the former, I considered one of the big dollar production customs such as Wilson, Les Baer, Ed Brown or others. They just don't do it for me. I have no reason to put myself in risky situations and those guns are just too expensive to be justified. My skill level could never justify it either.

I had not noticed that the Smith had the external extractor but there it is in the picture. I have no experience w/external extractors so I'm not sure how I feel.

Both guns have the rounded butt which is a consideration. I have been leaning toward the Kimber since I have had a Kimber full size for about 15 years. I wish it was not two toned. I don't particularly care for that look.

Anyone have additional considerations? I'm still open.
    John
    W.TN

I'd pick the S&W for the simple fact of customer service if needed. Personally I wouldn't buy either. Other brands of similar or better quality in that price range, STI being at the top of my list.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    Both guns are nice looking, had issues with S&W years back and just haven't felt the need to give them any of my money since.

Nothing to do with thier guns just a political attitude I think has never really changed.

Kimber's are great guns, must be 5 or 6 in the family but I find them to big for comfortable carry.

A carry gun is just that: A pistol you carry in case a problem arises Not a gun you go looking for trouble with, there is a difference!

For such carry needs I bought a a Star Firestar in 9mm, a little on the heavy side but as a lefty the ambi safety played a big part in my choice.

Were I right handed several Star's come to mind: the 9mm BK and BKM ( the alloy frame) and the Star PD in 45 ACP

I have shot many versions of both models and never had one fail to feed or fire and all hit the center of the target at ranges out to 25 yards .

All of these Star's are running in the 300 to 400 range when you can find them, I think I've seen Sarco advertising some Star BKM's recently in shotgun news.

if a 9mm will get it done for you check out the BKM if ya gotta have a 45 see a PD it is a a 25 oz gun empty and much smaller than a Commander.

A great carry a lot shoot it a little gun designed for just that self defense.

Don't sell these gun short they are a great deal for a reasonable price!

I have owned all three and been very happy.It wouldn't surpise me if the 9s would feed empty brass!but for me they just didn't point well.

I had a Kimber 4 inch CDP. Im selling it as I replaced it with a Ruger sp101 hammerless. Had my local smith put on a front night sight and do a trigger job. Just like the wheel gun and 357 round better. Its also a little easier I think to carry. Al
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Anyone have additional considerations? I'm still open.
    The real deal!!

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    The real deal!!
    Well LL's cryptic response I believe would be to buy a Colt. The 70series Wiley Clapp LW commander sure is a looker.

Perma-Banned

Smith and Wesson...I don't really care for the look of the external extractor, but they make a fine 1911.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter7 View Post
    Well LL's cryptic response I believe would be to buy a Colt. The 70series Wiley Clapp LW commander sure is a looker.
    Correct. After years of buying other 1911's, I will never again pay as much as, or more, for a copy when I can get a Colt. That's just me though.

I've got two "identical" pistols and if I handle and dry-fire them back-to-back one feels better than the other. Small differences in contour, trigger, etc.

Go to a shop and handle all of their Kimber compacts and comparable Smiths. If they have five of each you'll probably gravitate to one individual pistol without regard to brand.

Boolit Master

I wanted a Colt years ago because of the name. Then I started reading about the company trading on its name and charging extra for lower quality. That has affected my opinion of Colt. The "Wiley Clapp Lightweight Commander" is pretty pricey too.

Are you saying that the "copies" are of lower quality or that they don't have the prancing horse or both.
    John
    W.TN

Love Life
    I'd say give Colt a try instead of going off of rumor. I've owned several brands of 1911's over the years and the Colts have been reliable and accurate shooters out of the box.

Then again I wouldn't spend the cheese on Wiley Clapp either. I'd get a plain vanilla Commander or Light weight Commander.

At the end of the day though, I don't think you will go wrong with either of your original two posted guns.
    Last edited by Love Life; 05-26-2014 at 11:11 PM.

Boolit Master
    The younger guys I see at the range, they're all carrying polymer Springfields in 45 ACP, or Sig Sauers.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast