RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: GC shank too small - options?

Boolit Master

GC shank too small - options?

I bought some .44 cal. aluminum checks a while back and finally got around to casting today. Lee mould 430-310-RF. They're dropping .432-.4325 and I'm sizing to .430 in a Lyman 450 with a Lyman die. I'm casting straight ww (water dropped). A little homework revealed that the shank should be .402-.403 or thereabouts. The shank on my boolits is measuring .396-.3965 (WAY out of spec. right?). The mould is casting good boolits and they drop right out when opened. Would a Hornady copper check or a gator check work on a shank this small?
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Grand Master
    You've always got the option of returning the mold to LEE with 2 to 3 bullets. They will most likely send you another mold.

If you'd like to do the work yourself, It wouldn't be very hard to open the g/c shank up. It can be done with a wooden dowel and some 220 grit paper.

Go slow with the removal of metal in the g/c area of the mold , cast a few & check the dia. of the g/c shank of the " new bullets " with your mike.

Keep this technique up until you get the desired dia. you are looking for with your alloy.

Ben

Boolit Master

Have you done this Ben? How do I go about it? I'm thinking maybe a 3/8" dowel with maybe a single wrap of 220 paper? I might try it. I'm not a very patient man and I'd rather do something for myself.

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

Boolit Master

Contact Sagebrush7 on here. He sent me a sample of some checks he makes and I will definitely be order more.

I size to .431 in my 44 revolver and could not get the gas check to not spin on the base of my bullets. He has an aluminum check that is a little thicker that crimps on great. I had the same problem with the lee 430-310rf
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Boolit Master

Well, I went ahead and lapped the gc shank to .402". The checks I have crimp on tighter than dick's hat band. I wish I would have waited though. I didn't know about those checks (he uses .019 thickness material for them) until I had already worked on the mould. I plan on getting a 6 cavity mould for that same boolit. I'll be using those thicker checks for sure. Oh, thanks Ben it worked out well.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    Well, I went ahead and lapped the gc shank to .402". The checks I have crimp on tighter than dick's hat band. I wish I would have waited though. I didn't know about those checks (he uses .019 thickness material for them) until I had already worked on the mould. I plan on getting a 6 cavity mould for that same boolit. I'll be using those thicker checks for sure. Oh, thanks Ben it worked out well.
    I was out casting this afternoon. Seems I missed your earlier question on the " How to " of thing.

Sounds like you conquered it just fine.

Great Work,

Ben