Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .22 LR Duplication

Banned

That's good to know as I'm not looking to make mine into anything but a .22 LR. Thanks for the help, gonna try some tomorrow.

Banned

Well, I just got back from the range. This is the first time I have shot the little 219 for groups and while it was nothing to write home about, I'm not unpleased for a first time out.

The load was the little bullet we've been talking about sized to .225 and lubed with LLA, two grains of Bullseye and a Tula small pistol primer. Very, very mild and quiet, I shot 20 rounds of this. More flyers than I like, but except for the first round from a clean barrel, all stayed in 2" at 25 yards and most were in an inch or so. I'm going to see if some unsized ones will chamber OK and try that, I also plan on figuring out the seating depth for optimal accuracy.

Today's shooting was with the stock open sights, which are good open sights but the rifle came with a side mount already installed and I have a neat, very small Burris 4x I plan to install before next time. I think I'll start with one grain and work up in .1 grain increments until I find a sweet spot for groups. If I can get this to group consistently in an inch at 50 yards or close to it, there are some squirrels that are gonna be in serious trouble this October.

One thing I have learned so far from this project; I got a set of Lee dies in a trade for the Hornet a long time ago amongst some other stuff. Turns out there was a full length sizer and a neck sizer only collet type of die and two different seaters. I am a fan of the collet neck sizer die now, having never used one before, and think my brass should last a very long time with these kind of loads using it.

I'll have to try the Crisco lube sometime, I've used it in muzzle loaders with good results, never thought about using it in smokeless.

Boolit Master
    Just looking back.
    This is a most informative thread and though five years old has something for for the latest shooters and reloaders added to the growing ranks.

I have use this one to do what the OP is about .

http://www.weatherby.dk/rlc.htm
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned

I never did get to the .223 with cast, but have used a couple of Hornets with two different loads now to great success squirrel hunting.

Gonna try these in a .218 Bee when I get around to it.

Going to be doing something similar. I bought a Ballard at auction that was supposed to be chambered in .22 LR, but when I got it in hand it turned out that it's actually got a .22 liner and is chambered in .218 Bee. I don't want to shoot high pressure .218 Bee loads in this old cast action Ballard so first I'm going to buy a .218 Bee to .22 LR cartridge adaptor and fire a few rounds through it to see if the existing barrel liner is a "shooter". If it does shoot OK then I can always work up some loads with cast boolits in .218 Bee brass at .22 LR velocities and pressures.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Banned

Since this thread started, I picked up a nice .218 Bee. I see no reason why it wouldn't respond just as well to these kinds of loads as my Hornets have.

Nice rifle, by the way. I think you'll have a lot of fun with that.

Boolit Master
    To be
    or not to be.
    Now I want a Bee.
    Looking for one.

Boolit Master
    That is a cute little rifle. I always liked single shots.

Boolit Master

2 years ago I picked up an H&R handi that had sat in a shop for many years. 24" barrel, 1 in 12 twist. I have not shot 22lr duplication loads as yet, but my 223 loads with an NOE 225-62 RN powder coated gives me tack driver accuracy at 2450 FPS. I have the Lyman 225-415 which shot very well in my AR15 and Mini 14 but those tiny gas checks are a pain. I have a gas check maker but the shank on the 415 is too short/the gas checks too long to seat fully. The 415 shot very well with gas checks purchased from a member here. I want to try a 22lr duplication load with the 415 ASBBPCd without the check using Bullseye. When I do, I will have to post the results with pictures.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123