RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: What Are You Grillin' For Memorial Day?

Vendor Sponsor

What Are You Grillin' For Memorial Day?

First let us give thanks to our veterans and those of America's allies and honor them for their service to our country and the free world over.

I have a THICK rack of baby backs on the Traeger pellet fired grill, my wonderful girlfriend has gone to fetch some corn to marinate in Italian dressing which will put on the grill in the last half hour of cooking, along with some freshly picked garlic scapes from my garden today..

The ribs get the membrane pulled off the back, then they get sprinkled with dried/crushed African Blue basil, equal parts Cinammon, Curry Powder, and Cayenne pepper. The Traeger gets an extra chunk of hickory placed on the firebox to add a little more smoke during cooking, and it will run with temps around 350F today, being it's in the 80s out. When they are done, it gets the heat cut down to about 180° and they get slathered with Sweet Baby Ray's sauce for a sweet, sticky, spicy Southern style BBQ!

Edit: 2hrs later

Last edited by DougGuy; 05-25-2014 at 07:06 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Put a pork shoulder in the smoker last night around 2 AM. Just got done pulling it a bit ago and whipped up a batch of home made BBQ sauce to go with it. Gonna go good with corn on the cob for dinner tonight.

Tomorrow is brats on the grill.

Boolit Master
    Just pulled two racks of baby backs out of the smoker after 4 hours over hickory. Film at 11....

Boolit Master

It looks good! We were invited to Wife's friend's house tomorrow and I'm supposed to bake a pecan pie. I should get started on that... Not sure what they will have.

(you do know that Memorial Day is not the same thing as Veteran's Day or Armed Forces Day, right?)

Vendor Sponsor

Memorial Day, has several different stories about it's beginning, the most accepted version is that on this day in 1865 237 Union POWs who were previously buried in a mass grave, were dug up by freed blacks who reburied them in proper graves and celebrated their freedom and thanked the Union troops by parading by the thousands in the streets of Charleston, SC. It was called "Decoration Day" at the time. Several other cities lay claim to it's origin as well.

It has been the custom to dedicate Memorial Day to all veterans and not just the Union troops for which it was originally started.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

What I was getting at is Memorial Day is for the vets who didn't make it home alive. Probably the only day of the year it's not appropriate to thank the ones who did. (I am not a vet, so I could be off-base a little)

Enjoy the day! Just remember than freedom isn't free.

Vendor Sponsor

Heh I could be a little off-base too..

Jailer your shoulder looks nice man!

Moderator Emeritus

Ribeye on the weber kettle today with a fresh picked morel mushroom sauce. Broccoli in cheese sauce, garlic bread on the grill.

Tomorrow is a bunch of small bison rib pieces, will slow smoke for a couple hours then into a steam table pan with some bbq sauce to finish cooking. To small of pieces to cook bare on the smoker the entire time. Sides will be? Maybe baked beans, probably a salad.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Ribeye on the weber kettle today with a fresh picked morel mushroom sauce. Broccoli in cheese sauce, garlic bread on the grill.

Tomorrow is a bunch of small bison rib pieces, will slow smoke for a couple hours then into a steam table pan with some bbq sauce to finish cooking. To small of pieces to cook bare on the smoker the entire time. Sides will be? Maybe baked beans, probably a salad.
    Ummmm...

Got room for company?
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Made some boneless pork ribs on the grill, seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Did 10 minutes a side in a webber kettle. Served with barbecue sauce and potatoe salad! YUM. Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Heh I could be a little off-base too..

Jailer your shoulder looks nice man!
    Thanks, it turned out fantastic! You're ribs look mighty tasty too.

I got a rack of spare ribs in the freezer. Now that I have this smoker figure out I think it's time to defrost those babies and smoke em.

Boolit Man

Veges on the grill today -- one side had asparagus (with spray butter and salt). The other side of the grill had the grilling wok full of chopped turnip, carrot, potato, zucchini and yellow squash, bell pepper, and onion -- with cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, oil, and spicy Italian dressing mixed it. Tasty!
    Trochilids, Living in The Great Land

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams, February 6, 1788.
    "Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense?" -- Patrick Henry, 1836.

Boolit Master
    Tentative, burgers, chicken and may do some pork in offset smoker. Marinate sweet onions, mushrooms and broccoli in garlic soy sauce, sesame oil and brown sugar. They go on top rack of smoker. Mrs. smokeywolf is going to make fresh hamburger buns and hoagie rolls.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Mule deer backstrap
    Sea salt, crushed black pepper, wrapped in bacon, smoked with oak

az-jim
    "You believe these people exist to provide you with position, I believe your position exists to provide these people with FREEDOM"

FREEEEEEEEDOMM-William Wallace

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Just finished our sup....pretty simple since it was only me & the wife. Reunion Chicken ( Apple cider marinade with spices) Smoke/grilled with Peach wood & roasted asparagus
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Moderator Emeritus

Burgers, corn on the cob, a mix of yellow, red and anaheim peppers, green onions, asparagus and garlic in a grill basket on the side. The star was button mushrooms dipped in butter and grilled for 10 minutes then dipped in bbq sauce and finished for another 10. This after a day of planting, replacing the flagpole rope, lawn and helping my wife with her projects.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Hot dogs and hamburgers, home made pork 'n beans, macaroni salad, ham fried rice, fruit salad, and various chips. I forget the other stuff.

Those mushrooms sound wonderful, Gianni.
    Urny
    Elko County, the old heart of Nevada

Boolit Grand Master
    Ribs, Just like yours. Sunday I did a whole roasting chicken.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    I did beef short ribs and a whole antelope leg. Home made BBQ sauce and veggies.