Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I aint going to shoot it, you shoot it, Mikey will shoot it.......

I have a baby 1874 Sharps .38-55 that was a prize at a rifle match. It is still unfired. My 93 Marlin .38-55 kicks enough. The baby Sharps keeps getting eyballed for a .32-20 sleeve job. John Taylor, are you listening??

Boolit Mold
    Shooting a .45-70 with extremely mild loads is against the round's purpose IMO. Might as well get a .38 cal and enjoy low costs as well as low recoil. The .45-70 loaded fully with black and a soft 405 gr.lee bullet already has very low recoil.

You could run 10.5gr of Unique behind a 405gr boolit. Very low recoil and less than 2" groups at 100yds in three different rifles.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by earshot View Post
    Shooting a .45-70 with extremely mild loads is against the round's purpose IMO. Might as well get a .38 cal and enjoy low costs as well as low recoil. The .45-70 loaded fully with black and a soft 405 gr.lee bullet already has very low recoil.
    Depends on what you're going to be hunting. If you're planning on taking a whitetail doe, it doesn't make sense to use the same load that you would use for hunting 300+ lb hogs.

Boolit Master
    If its a good price, you could have NOE or one of the other custom mold makers do a .460 diameter 200 to 250gr RNFP. I shot 350gr boolits out of a 5.5lb contender carbine. 15 shots were fun, 25 not so.

Done deal

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	029.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	112561You talked me into it. I bought it today. Thanks, I love it! Here's my grandson with it. Tomorrow I'll load up some BP loads. It's so cute.

Owen

Boolit Master

250/300 grain cast sized to 452/454 paper patch on top of trail boss . enjoy

I do want to try paper patch, I'll need advice on that. I went and shot it last night with 50 gr. FG two wads with a grease pee between, then a 310 cast bullet. What fun! She spit a little sparks and smoke and nailed the target slightly low. I pushed the ramp up to notches and hit three more in the top of center at 30 yds. That's all the brass I had home, I need to get to the cabin. It didn't kick bad at all, although it is enough with that load.

Owen

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear you got it and the report on shooting. It sounds like a convenient hunting/stalking rifle. Not a bench rifle!
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

I have to brag up the store where I bought it. I had already said I'd buy, when the salesman came out and said he rung it up at $50 off and through a couple boxes of 22lrs into the deal as well.
    Today I stopped back to see if he had any 45-70 brass, as most of my stock is loaded already in heavier loads. He didn't , but came out with three plastic boxed loaded ammo for the 45-70. He told me to pull and dump them all, questionable loads. I asked how much? No charge. So we bought a Ruger 10-22 . I buy from nice guys.

Oh, it's Fisherman's Corner in Hermantown , MN.

Boolit Master
    Hightime, I have bought 3 firearms from them. They always were decent and friendly. One time I was paying for a rifle and used a$100 bill in place of a $10. He handed it back and said he didn't need to be tipped that much today. It would've of ruined my weekene if he hadn't noticed it.

Did you ever get a Trapdoor?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hightime View Post

Who is "you"?
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

shot

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jake and BP roller.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	1130053leggedturtle came up and looked at one at Fisherman's Corner a couple years ago.

30 gr. of FG Goex 12 wads and a 310 grain bullet was fun. Here my grandson takes a shot.

Boolit Grand Master

He looks like he is shooting at a turtle.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hightime View Post
    No looked at quite few just never pulled the trigger on one. Gonna order a 20" 9mm barrel for the contender instead.

Boolit Master

Fishermans Corner is a good place to deal with. I traded my 45/70 Remington 1905 action (rebarreld) for a Marlin Guide gun in 45/70. Just figured the lever gun was handier and lighter. I also made a trade for my 45 Colt Ranchhand too. Took a slight bath in that deal but I wanted the gun so that was ok. I traded off a 22 mag I never used due to the price of the shells and a Cattleman I just could not see the sights well enough. I know that is the nature of gun trades at any shop. They also have been good in supporting our local chapter of the Friends of the NRA in Superior.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

I, too, have been shooting BP gallery loads from my .45-70 - A .457" RB pushed all the way down (dowel/mallet) over 15gr FFFg & any old standard large rifle primer.

I've also made like gallery loads for my .45 Colt, but with only 5gr FFFg.

Boolit Master
    in another post I said about carbine loads. the .45-70 carbine load was 55 gr 2f with a 405 bullet. rcbs made a 350 gr. 45-70 mold. that bullet over 55 gr 2f should make a nice deer and pig load. and still be easy to handle in the carbine.

Just an update; I have been shooting the RB with light BP loads a lot. It sure is easy to clean. I did get some 458 round balls and some Cream of Wheat. I shoot both 300 gr. rnfp. out of my new mold and the balls.
    I'm surprised how accurate out at 100 yds. and how hard it hits. I'm sure it would take a deer down just fine. Wouldn't have guessed that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast