Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what would you do

Boolit Master

what would you do

guys i was just at LGS not looking to buy anything but some powder if they had it
    well they had a Ruger new model blackhawk in 41 mag 4/58 barrel looks like new
    for $300. it just called out to me i dont know a thing about the 41 mag so was this
    a good deal or not gun was made in 2006 what mold do i need to get for this what
    powder works thanks
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I walked up on a similar deal 4 years ago. Mine was a 2005 model, had been refinished with Robar black finish, had a beautiful set of Hogue checkered Pau ferro grips, all the springs had been upgraded and the gun had a steel grip frame. In the used section. The clerk agreed with me that it didn't look as if it had been fired and everything was with it that came from the factory, including the fired case and it was still in the sealed manila envelope. OEM grips were there too. Priced at 350 out the door; and out the door it went. Gun smith receipt was in the box for all the work that had been done on it. Great gun; but I already favored 41 Magnum and had several, just not a NMBH.

Boolit Buddy
    Ummm...you don't need to buy it !!!! Send me LGS's address and phone number so that I can drive all the way up there to "correct" this problem for you. How dare they try to sell it to you at that price (as I warm up the car)...You wait till I get to the ATM err store ! Man the nerve of some people lol

Boolit Buddy
    Buy it buy it!

Boolit Master

my wife is gunna kill me but i had too it just called to me its not my fault
    so whats a good mold for this one oh no um new gun = new mold dies brass
    what did i do

Boolit Grand Master
    To surrender to love is never wrong--unless Momma finds out. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

LUCKYDAWG13:
    There are many molds out there for the .41's. You can't go wrong with the Lyman 410459. This is their (Lyman's) version of the
    original Keith design. There are also Lee (the cheapest) money wise, RCBS, and many custom makers.
    My first handgun (1968) was the 3 screw Ruger BH in .41 magnum. It also had the 4 5/8" barrel. I shot thousands of rounds
    through it. I sold it to my uncle. It still shoots good.
    You will enjoy the .41 magnum. Good snag sir.
    Regards
    Jack

Boolit Buddy

If that was me I would be figuring out how to get it home and in the safe before SWMBO sees it.......
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Zymurgy50 View Post
    If that was me I would be figuring out how to get it home and in the safe before SWMBO sees it.......
    im thing about that to but once she see it come out of the magical safe new this old gun no had it for years

Perma-Banned

I don't do .41, but I would buy it anyway.

Love Life
    I would have bought it and flipped it and then bought something that interested me.

Just remember, it's better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. Just do it!
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    Just remember, it's better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. Just do it!
    oh i did it

Boolit Buddy
    Tell her that you inherited your grandpa's old gun that your father had restored to like new condition ? Lol

Boolit Master

I have that exact same revolver and I LOVE it!!! Like you I got it at an unheard of discounted price and knew why when I got it. The trigger pull was 8 1/2 lbs!!! I did a search for spring fixes and found a page that outlined very simple "adjustments" to one spring. I followed the easy instructions to the "T" and wound up with a smooth, crisp 3lb trigger pull. The link is easy to find with a google search if you need it. You are gonna LOVE that pistol!!!

Boolit Master

LOL i jut did that to my SP101

Boolit Master
    The Keith mold is good, I use it for heavy loads. There's another Lyman mold that is really good, provided you don't mind gas checks, #410610. It's 215 grain and in semi wadcutter form. I use 2400 as powder and, after buying a lot of Winchester cases from a store, put in an order to Starline brass for 500 cases. The Starline brass is a little softer and easier to work with. The best dies out there are RCBS, I usually go with the cheaper Group B dies. Mine are #18512. Thats 3 die, carbide. Has it's own belling die. That's just what I do.

With 2400 magnum powder, it runs from 14 grains to 16 grains. The top loads are seriously NOT for the faint of heart in a 41 mag. It's big enough for any North American game, moose, elk and bear (uh oh).

Good Luck,
    Ron

PS: I'm a bit jealous, I was wanting the shorter version of my 6&1/2" Blackhawk.
    Last edited by canyon-ghost; 05-24-2014 at 09:18 PM.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Master

good buy!

Boolit Master
    Attachment 105935 This one is mine!

You will enjoy 41 magnum. Here's my story:

I bought a Blackhawk but, did load development with a 14" TC Contender single shot. I loaded up 5 rounds of each during the springtime. It was early spring and very cool that morning. So, I just grabbed up an old particle board desktop and a paper target. Went to the range and propped up my target board at 50 yards. I started shooting the 14 through 15 grain range. Target board kept falling down because I had just propped it up with a single 2x2 stick. At about 15 grains, it started to come down rather than shooting a high arc. I think I was at about 15.5 when I hit the bullseye. Board fell down so, I walked up to pick it up.

When I got there, I discovered that I hit the bullseye perfect and split that 2x2 at the same time. Even left a bullet trail on the grain of one stick. Blew that thing apart and kept traveling like nobody's business! Just pick up some good ear protection, muzzle blast is pretty serious. Friend of mine called the 41 mag, " ******"!
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Buddy
    I had a ex girlfriend that didnt like me buying guns every week. so i would take a case with me and she would say where you going, i would say ohhh going to sell a gun/or going to get a gun worked on. But the case was empty. she finally caught on that i was buying guns, after my cabinet was over flowing and was looking to buy a safe. Then i got smart, i would only go to the gun shop when she was at work. hahahaha. Yes if i were going into the store for powder and saw BlackHawk for 300, there would be no powder in the truck on the way home, there would be a new toy going with me.
    Looking for: 32acp mold-- 22 hornet jwords-- 7.62x54r- jwords, boolits, mold-- 7x57 brass, mold---7.62 Nagant-brass-- 8x56r-brass, jwords-- any old firearm laying around ( I'm starting to take gun smithing classes, and I'm looking for pieces I can work on, PM me with your details)

Poor execution of a problem on your part doesn't constitute a problem on mine.

13/14 Trapping season
    Coon-1
    Grinner-3
    Squirrel-3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast