Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rough start to the holiday weekend!

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by Pb2au View Post
    But,,,,
    While I was at the store, I scooped up a brand new American flag for the front of the house, and helped an elderly lady load her mulch into her big old Caddy.
    Trochilids, Living in The Great Land

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams, February 6, 1788.
    "Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense?" -- Patrick Henry, 1836.

Boolit Buddy
    well, i think i ruined a barrel today.

went out to shoot some ground squirrels, had a freshly loaded 259 rounds. first round no problems, second round won't chamber. some range brass had gotten mixed in with the stuff fired in my gun so when i neck sized, some of the cases are bound not to chamber. problem is that i could not get the round out, the extractor pulled off of the rim. so i went home and got out my cleaning rod, after some light pressure, i started tapping on it and promptly bent the rod. i cut the rod off just long enough to still reach the round, after a few taps with a hammer i got the round out. BUT, i could clearly see that i buggered the crown. so, i figured i might as well take it apart and thread it while i had it in the lathe.

i am a rookie when it comes to lathe work on guns, i know how to thread and have done several with no issue. but, i have never recrowned a barrel. maybe i did it right, i am not sure. i turned the barrel down to the diameter of the threads, then with the live center in the barrel, i set up the steady rest on the turned down section, then removed the live center and with the compound set at 11 degrees, i started in the bore and fed the compound out. the first pass was only a couple of thousandths and it did not clean up evenly, the second pass was also only a couple thou, and the crown was now clean. i then proceeded to thread it.
    after putting the rifle back together i ran a patch through the bore and proceeded to fire a round. it did not hit the paper, i looked through the bore and saw that my scope was off, so i bore sighted it. i fired round number 2 and there was a little bit heavier bolt lift than i am used to, and an ejector smear. but the round was in the paper just right of center. i fired round 3 and i was glad to have my glasses on, particles in the face. i opened the bolt to find a blown primer and an ejector smear. round 1 had no indications of any issues.

so at this point i am convinced that i have damaged the bore somewhere, most likely just in front of the chamber. so i decide that i will do a chamber cast. i get set up and pour the cerrosafe down an aluminum tube into the chamber. after about 20 minutes i go try to remove the cast, and it will not budge. i get out the broken bent cleaning road and tap on it with a hammer, still wont budge. so i heat the barrel up and get most of the cerrosafe out. but without a proper cleaning rod i cannot get the chamber clean.

i guess now i need to get another rod that is a little stiffer than the one for the 17, clean the barrel real good, and then find someone with a bore scope. or maybe just quit screwing around and send it off for a new barrel.

it is a 700 heavy varmint 22-250, probably has about 2 to 3k rounds through it by now.

Boolit Buddy
    after all that i just wanted to relax and watch some tv, and remembered that last night my satellite tv quit working. after 1/2 hour on the phone with them, my case got elevated to some special level where someone who REALLY knows how to fix it will call me, but not tonight it is too late!

I did a bunch of housework, mowed the lawn, chased a stray cat from the yard, drank a good amount of Black Velvet Cinnamon Rush, made some peach iced tea, decided not to cook, but ordered an assorted sub, spent some time here, took a nap and went for ice cream. Yep. It was a good start to the weekend.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Moderator Emeritus

Plenty safe as long as you keep your fingers out of the blade path... and can't be beat when I need to cross cut hardwoods. Can cut up to 12 inches wide so it has come in handy for making blanks for the laser engraver. Have to get some hard maple next month to engrave some pet pics for a couple people. Start with 1x10 and cross cut it to 8 inches long. End with this...

Quote Originally Posted by HollandNut View Post
    Radial arm saw ? a brave soul indeed , they skeer the daylights outta me ..

Five Guys ?? everyone told us how great they are , so we went last weekend , 20 bux for two small burgers , two small fries and two small drinks , and wasn't that great

Banned
    Attachment 105966Friday coming back from perch fishing a crotch rocket bike passed us one mile before he crashed. He was going way to fast for the corner. I missed seeing it happen by 10 seconds (bushes blocking the view).

I was the second to arrive at the crash. The guy was in full leathers and helmet but as fast as he was going…………not good.

He was making some noises but it didn’t look very good for him. Haven’t herd on the news if he made it or not. I left to call 911 about 2 minutes after it happened (banks was 1.5 miles away) It was holiday traffic and almost backed up to banks by the time I had made the call. Was almost to Horseshue bend before the first police were seen coming with lights on. By the time I left to call 911 there was about 20 people there.

The area is in a canyon along the Payette river and a perdy windy road. He was going 60+ when he crashed.
    I made the comment to Dad that we’re going to see him stuck in the front of a truck when he passed us. We had just entered into a passing lane, a red Dodge truck first passed us and before the truck could get over the bike passed him across double yellow lines. 2 corners and one mile later there he was lying there in the rocks. The bike was really messed up. He crashed into watermelon sized broken rocks against a rock wall.
    Luckily, he didn't hurt anyone else..

Boolit Buddy
    Worked 8 hours yesterday, then had a Decade Party at work for being in business for 10 years. The neighbor from Maryland is up this weekend at his cabin. I bet right now he is making bacon and eggs over fire, then little later on they will be on the quads then shooting. So i guess its time for me to get some ammo around and get ready to hop on the quad and head over.

Love to live in Merica!
    Looking for: 32acp mold-- 22 hornet jwords-- 7.62x54r- jwords, boolits, mold-- 7x57 brass, mold---7.62 Nagant-brass-- 8x56r-brass, jwords-- any old firearm laying around ( I'm starting to take gun smithing classes, and I'm looking for pieces I can work on, PM me with your details)

Poor execution of a problem on your part doesn't constitute a problem on mine.

13/14 Trapping season
    Coon-1
    Grinner-3
    Squirrel-3

Boolit Grand Master
    Freddys burgers beats 5 Guys anyday.

Just got back from long, but productive business trip, going to recover today. Might cast with the new NOE 311332 mould

Took flowers by cemetary for Grandparents, Moms, little sister and little brothers' graves. Went down memory lane for a bit, remembering them. Kind of rainy today. Will head to shop.
    Last edited by rockrat; 05-25-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Boolit Master

Saturday
    Pulled the blower motor from our 200 Kia, started to open the, get the pump and filter, started to fill.
    Sunday
    Put a new blower in the car, fixed.
    Pump, hoses, filter and filled with water.
    Dadburn prefilter for the pump is leaking, a bit of RTV and that leak is gone.
    Chicken chores done, race is on. F1 this morning, Indy now, NASCAR later.
    GONA BE A GOOD DAY!
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Plenty safe as long as you keep your fingers out of the blade path... and can't be beat when I need to cross cut hardwoods. Can cut up to 12 inches wide so it has come in handy for making blanks for the laser engraver. Have to get some hard maple next month to engrave some pet pics for a couple people. Start with 1x10 and cross cut it to 8 inches long. End with this...

Now, that is neat!

Wife and I took another couple to the ranch for a weekend of ATV exploring and pontoon boat riding to celebrate my friend's wife getting doctor's approval to walk without the air cast on her foot. Drove into rain on the way and it rained pretty much the whole weekend and half the day Monday. Did manage some ATV exploration on and off the ranch roads but it never let up enough to launch the boat. Mid-day Saturday a large western diamondback crossed the road in front of us. Just how much we resembled a team of monkeys with a football while getting him back out in the open will only ever be known to the friend's wife who was the only one with the good sense to stay on the ATV. Headless, he was about 4 feet and was sporting 16 rattles, the end one being about 3/4 inch across. The rattles will probably end up on a hatband and the hide will be used on a belt. We moved the grill up on a covered porch and did a lot of rain watching. Beautiful lightening after dark each evening. Not exactly as planned, but we were all grateful for the much needed rain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DB&Snake140524.jpg  
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12