Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mosin issues.

303 guy I agree that cb can end up out shooting factory ammo as they can be taylored to your gun.

However in my experience the number of times they start out doing that, or even start out being consistent is rare.

Reloading and reloading with CB Seems a bit like tuning that old radio where the dial is a bit loose. Start out going one way then over correct coming back. Back and forth you go, eventually tuning the channel in. But the process is not always easy or pretty.

Anyway, sorry about the miscommunication, the idea is to keep everyone shooting and to hit the mark.
    I think we've given the OP plenty to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I think we've given the OP plenty to think about.
    If you say so
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear the fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Eph. 2:8-10

Kill da wabbitt!!! KILL DA WABBITT!!!!

Just a thought, it has often been suggested that a gentle launch into the barrel is best and that falls in line with the principle of using a slow powder that fills the case and also it's been said that ball powders give a gentler launch. In any event, I've found that stick powders damage the boolit base more - a lot more. That's if one is using a soft alloy and in my case an exposed boolit base. I did that after finding patch bases down-range and figured that they may be coming off inconsistently but not only that, recovered boolits showed patch base impressions which I thought could be eliminated by going tail-less and it worked but may not have made any difference.

P.S. I wish I was shooting goats at 150 yds with anything let alone paper patched boolits! I'll get there someday somehow.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Tried .309" patched and sized to .3145" over 48 gr. imr7828 and dacron. Groups opened back up to 6" @ 50 yds.

Barabruce has given me some ideas to try. We will see.

Darrell
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear the fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Howdy Neighbor!

Do you have any super slow machinegun ball powder? My past Mosin worked quite well with a lightly duplexed load of WC860 over IMR4227. Did almost as well with WC872. If you don't have any of that surplus stuff, try a CC or two of Cream 'O' Wheat over enough of that 7828 to make a compressed load and see how that works for you. I'm betting it helps a lot.

-Nobade

Que paso, nobade - I have none of the super slow powders and this morning I burnt up the last of the 7828. I did put some shot buffer on top the last trip and got groups down to 3 -4 inches @ 50 yds. Right now I have 4831, 4350 and will have 2 lbs Re-17 on friday. I do know where I may be able to get about half a can of h1000.

It's getting to the point that I am just burning up powder. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks to all

Darrell

Try some wheat bran compressed over the powder. I sieve mine to get the big bits out. Some brands are finer than others - I like the finer brand. It seems to form a fibrous wad under the boolit which prevents gas leakage and cleans the bore. Some have reported significantly improved accuracy with undersize boolits.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    mabey some testing with the faster powders ?
    in my testing a charge of 19.5 gr of AA 5477 did very well in the 6.5 mm cartridge , and im currently testing some loads with vithavouri n110 powder , like 12.3 gr. i dont use a filler , but the base of the bullet i protect with a paperdisc.

Boolit Master

Try shooting with the bayonet attached. Mine shots better with it on!! I have only shot j## with it, but it will shoot way smaller groups. Just my experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12