WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smelting small volume with a hot plate and cast iron pot

Boolit Buddy

Smelting small volume with a hot plate and cast iron pot

I've searched the site and either a)I'm not good at searching or b)there isn't a comprehensive thread.

Basically, I want to smelt some lead but I don't want to get into the turkey fryer and propane. I'm trying not to piss off my neighbors and will need to do this in small batches of 10-20 lbs, cool, reload the pot, heat it up, and so on. I'm not in a real rush to do a bunch so I can just smelt a little here and a little there. Are there any hot plate/cast iron pot combos that people recommend that will get the job done, albeit slower (much) than propane? Note I my energy is @ .08 cents a kilowatt hour so i'm not terribly concerned about the electricity.

http://www.amazon.com/Waring-SB30-13...lectric+burner

That one has a dial thermostat, a cast iron burner, and is 1300W. Enough?

Boolit Master

Try, instead, going to thrift shops to find one. Melting lead takes heat, and you will trash the burner with the crud.
    I suspect, you will need more heat. The one I use has two burners. One small, one large. I use the large one. Toss in the lead, add vegetable oil, turn on the heat and it is ready in about 15minutes.
    You might also consider making ingots somehow. Corn bread mold, any thing cast iron like that. They store easier, melt fast in the pot. You can also control the alloy mix that way.
    Just melting the lead and letting the pot cool, I could eject the buttons, but, they did not fit well going back in. For that I use the smaller burner and a cast iron pan. The smaller ingots fit inside the larger pan for remelting.
    I have gone through several burners so far. This puts a strain on them. Keep the wind away from the pot, it slows the melting and in some cases almost stops it completely.
    For that, I use corrugated board. An old box works well.
    Good luck.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I use a Lee 4# melter. Great for small batches. It is 500W and costs very little. Just melt, pick it up with leather gloves, and pour into you ingot molds. Melts lead pretty fast if you are not doing 200-300# like some on here do!

I use it all the time for clean lead and alloys.....NOT WW's!

banger

Boolit Buddy
    I should have been more clear. I am going to buy a small bottom pour unit but I need to smelt lead weights in something else. I don't mind making 20-30lbs of 1lb ingots over a couple of hours using 1lb ingots. I just don't want to get into the burners if I can avoid it. Will the lee magnum work? It seems like the opening is so small (4") to effectively melt wheel weights.

Boolit Grand Master
    You CAN melt WW's in the Lee non-bottom pour pots. I just don't. Not much room.

They are very inexpensive and I use mine all the time as I said, for small batches of alloys.

I would avoid the cooking burner....and any cooking appliance for heating lead!!!!! Toaster ovens are great for baking PC, but leave the muffin tins, spoons, pots, pans, and burners to the cook!

I do use a hot plate like above to pre-heat my molds and ingots when casting! That is almost MANDATORY to get good boolits.

banger

I usually just fill my pot up with ww skim and cast. It may take two fillings to get all te way full because of the clips but it works. I have been using a lee 10lb bottom pour. I have also melted lean in a pot on a small electric burner from walmart that I got for 10 bucks

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Go to the local dollar store or big lots. Find yourself an electric burner with exposed heating elements like an electric stove would have. That'll be cheaper and cost less than the fancy one you've provided a link to that won't work well due to the safety cover dissipating more heat than you'd like.

After that, get yourself a stainless steel frying pan, about six inches in diameter and about 1 1/2 to 2 inches deep. Don't get too crazy and it'll do the job for you. Not a large quantity at a time, but certainly won't get your neighbors upset either.

BTW, smelting in your back yard where it's hard for neighbors to see while using a meat smoker is a good way to go with a turkey fryer setup. If they smell the meat smoker, they'll assume you're cooking and won't get upset.

At the end of the day, after you've cleaned up your wheel weight setup and washed your hands, you'll have some delicious meat for supper. For more information, check out smokingmeat dot com.

And no, I'm not affiliated over there, other than a happy rookie who got smoking equipment, then cooking advice over there. Yesterday, while my son in law was helping me install a impeller kit in my dishwasher, we smoked two corned beef slabs turning them into pastrami and a beef roast turning it into bbq beef. Ate the bbq beef for supper with homemade cole slaw/baked potatoes and made sandwiches for lunch with the very fresh pastrami.

See, you can combine hobbies, but it'll make ya fat and happy.

Perma-Banned

How close do you live to your neighbors?

Can't imagine that the turkey fryer would offend them. I do not have neighbors that are very close, but my turkey fryer does not generate a lot of smoke and makes the smelting a breeze...and is cheap.

Boolit Grand Master
    Many times you don't need a bazillion BTU turkey fryer using a 20# tank of propane in 20 minutes to melt 20-30# of stuff. I only fire up my plumber's furnace when I need to melt a LOT of lead in a short time. Propane costs are absolutely ridiculous today!!!! Really adds to the overall cost of boolits.

The cost of a 500W Lee small pot is much less in initial cost and energy used. And takes less space and can pulled off the shelf and be set up less than a minute.

And NO noise of the burner on my furnace!!

Melt away!

banger

Boolit Bub
    I purchased a 4" diameter cast iron pot and use my LP camping stove . Works wonderful for those small batches. I think the pot was made by Lodge. It was under 10 bucks.
    Dan

Moderator Emeritus

I use a Coleman gasoline campstove and a 4qt stainless steel soup pot. I start out with the Pot heaping full of COWW's, and yield about 35lbs of ingots...That takes about 45 minutes. A Quart of Gasoline (what the coleman tank holds) lasts about 2 hours. The smokiness comes from the Flux and garbage you choose not to sort out of your COWW's. Once I did 3 buckets of Auto Battery terminals, many had some plastic insulation on them...That was a Smoky, stinky mess...But I'd do it again

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    Basically, I want to smelt some lead but I don't want to get into the turkey fryer and propane. I'm trying not to piss off my neighbors and will need to do this in small batches of 10-20 lbs, cool, reload the pot, heat it up, and so on. I'm not in a real rush to do a bunch so I can just smelt a little here and a little there. Are there any hot plate/cast iron pot combos that people recommend that will get the job done, albeit slower (much) than propane? Note I my energy is @ .08 cents a kilowatt hour so i'm not terribly concerned about the electricity.

http://www.amazon.com/Waring-SB30-13...lectric+burner

That one has a dial thermostat, a cast iron burner, and is 1300W. Enough?
    Hi Kenn!

Here's a link to my first casting and smelting set up: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...melting-set-up
    I'm strictly a small batch operation when it comes to producing lead ingots and boolits.
    Hotplates with a wire coil and 1000 watts work best. A cheap small cast iron skillet with some type of metal lid will suit your needs too.
    Last edited by WILCO; 05-24-2014 at 01:45 PM.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

Yard sale or flea market coleman stove is inexpensive to use, and does double duty. Using sawdust to clean the dirt/clips, and oxides, gets rid of the foul smoke and smells good at the same time. Cast iron is great, but a SS 1-2 qt pot (goodwill) is cheap and works. Just don't depend on the handles , use a soup dipper to ladle the melt into ingot molds.

Boolit Buddy
    I would recommend the Lee mag. pot.... About $ 50.00 and your done nothing else to purchase. The hot plates I have purchased do not melt lead very well ... Way to slow.

Banned

I have a Lee Precision Magnum Melter and recommend it.

Boolit Master

Don't get that hotplate; you want one with exposed coils. The solid top ones don't get hot enough.

I've rendered over 1000 lbs of lead in the past couple of years, 10 or 15# at a time, on an electric hotplate in an old stainless steel saucepan. Works great but a little slow. And electricity is a lot cheaper than propane.

A cast iron pot will slow you down quite a bit compared to steel.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the feedback folks. I took the advice of a couple of posters here and got a Lee Magnum on order. I figured I'd use it to both smelt small batches/ingots, then clean it out and use it to ladle cast bullets. At some point, if I get good at this, I'll order a lee bottom feed and use it only with clean lead.

I've made my ingots for years with a cast iron fry pan.

Sometimes outdoors on gas grill, wood fire, or indoors on gas stove.

I have to admit I prefer the stove even with the cleanup after.

But it can also be nice to sit around a wood or charcoal fire lazily smelting lead. Long sleeves, gloves, and beverages well away thank you.

I also second checking the second hand stores for a good used heater. And I have to admit I've wondered about those new electric induction cook top units. All the mess out of the house and out onto the deck, lots of fresh air.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast