RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deburring tools

In Remembrance

Deburring tools

You would think these little hand deburring tools would be a simple little deal and any and all of them would put a smile on your face.

Yesterday I was trimming some 45 colt brass, and my deburring tool is good from 17 to 45 cal. It works and works great, but on the 45 cal it barely is big enough for outside deburring, making you really pay attention to getting it on the case right. I went and bought one that is good from 17 to 60 cal, making thinking it would be great and faster for the 45 brass. this is rcbs and it works like I thought it would, except as far as I'm concerned it is junk. It leaves a rough edge on the brass. My old one has been around for a long time and even though it is barely big enough to use on the 45 brass, I had to use it to finish after using the new one, so just went back to using it instead.
    The old one is made for rcbs by wilson, the new one just says rcbs on it, it doesn't say on the tool, but this morning out of curiosity I dug the package out of the trash, and it is made in china.
    Maybe I'm too picky, but you would think that china could at least get something as simple as this right. I would also think that something as simple as this, is that rcbs could find some company in the us to make a quality tool, and still be in the price range ballpark.

Lots of stuff coming from Lyman and RCBS with China on them. Lee and Redding are still USA all the way, but as much as it bothers me that RCBS has outsourced many things I still dont hesitate to purchase from them without question as their warranty is the best out there. You might wanna check to see what Redding has to offer. The cheap little Lee deburrer barely works on 45's and it scratches the larger cases. I've used an L.E. wilson for many years and also another one from them co branded RCBS. I tried Lymans all in one deburr thingy once and did not like it.

I'm still using the Lyman one I bought when I was 19. I just turned 48

In Remembrance
    I will watch for an old wilson, or rcbs branded wilson. Do you know if they even made a larger one? I like rcbs products, and their warranty is fine, but junk is junk, and I do not see them warrantying it. I doubt I could possibly wear out the older wilson made one, but when you compare them side by side there is no comparison in even the metal they are made of.
    i do have a use for this, I think. It does not have the little guide in it like the smaller ones, and I have a mold that the gas check shank is slightly too big, I think this will work to just take the edge off, so as to get the gas checks started. It would just have been nice to use it for it's intended purpose. lol

See if Forster makes one that big. I bought theirs awhile back because my son dropped my old RCBS one and broke off one of the tines. It is a good deburring tool

Boolit Master
    Now I know why the old school ones on EBay command such high bids-- made in USA!
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 05-24-2014 at 05:38 PM.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    L.E.Wilson! Can't beat it!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Bub
    I have a Lyman deburing double ended tool, complete with busted tine...

Lately I have been using an idea from Varmit Al's web site. I use a nut driver socket stuffed with steel wool, fitted in a cordless driver or drill, after the case has been trimmed I give it a quick run in the steel wool and viola no burr

Just a thought

Reddirt204

Quote Originally Posted by Reddirt204 View Post
    I have a Lyman deburing double ended tool, complete with busted tine...

Lately I have been using an idea from Varmit Al's web site. I use a nut driver socket stuffed with steel wool, fitted in a cordless driver or drill, after the case has been trimmed I give it a quick run in the steel wool and viola no burr

Just a thought

Reddirt204
    I LIKE this idea! What grade steel wool do you use? I have 00 and 0000 on hand but seems like coarser would be better.
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    L.E.Wilson! Can't beat it!
    That is the exact one I have and have always had, I just wanted a bigger one, which I now have, but still want a bigger one. lol
    I just couldn't believe rcbs would put their name on useless junk.

Boolit Master

Starmac,

More info than you asked for, but I've had some good results. A couple of years ago I got one of the motorized Lyman case prep stations. Some of the tools that came with it are useless; others are pretty good. The inside chamfer tool is the VLD style and it's chamfered close to 3000 5.56 cases and leaves a nice, smooth chamfer. The outside chamfer is equally good and of the LE Wilson style. The Lyman tools are available for powered use or with a handle for manual use.

I added Hornady large and small primer pocket reamers and it's very useful now. I have a Dillon swage but some primers in my inventory still need a little chamfer to enter the pocket smoothly and the Hornady reamers are the ticket. They are really sharp and are doing very well.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

In Remembrance
    Thanks for the info, they sell lymans here also, but they just have the one that goes up to 45 cal. I can get by without it, just disappointed that they would get top dollar for chinese junk. I guess I just expected better out of them, typically all their stuff is good. I was looking at their case prep center today (rcbs) and it looks good as far as the picture on the box, but after this, no way would I up the money without taking it out of the box and personally looking everything over.

I bought the large Lyman deburring tool shown in the photo for 45-70 and pretty much use it for everything because it is easier on my hands (no cramps from holding tiny stuff). I also have the large deburring tool from RCBS. Bought both brand new. The Lyman tool is sharper and faster to use.

,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 1989toddm View Post
    I LIKE this idea! What grade steel wool do you use? I have 00 and 0000 on hand but seems like coarser would be better.
    When I use my Lyman trimmer I can get away using 0000 steel wool and it leaves a nice rounded edge inside and out, lately I have been playing with a Trim-It power type trimmer, I'm still working out the little tweeks to make it run better(like having the drill running before putting the case in the cutter) but I have dropped back to 00 steel wool as it still leaves quite a large burr, nothing against the trimmer, I love it for mass processing(500+.223's) I may have to look at a carbide cutter or something

Using the nut driver socket type thingy(very technical terms used here) I don't get the cramping I normally get using the handheld de-buffers

Cheers

Reddirt204

Boolit Grand Master

I use this little guy from Lyman: http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/c...e-care-kit.php

I did not pay close to that price. I have no desire to clean up each case mouth by hand. One crank of the handle(for each tool head)and the case is done. I will be getting one of the powered ones just not sure which one yet.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes no bench is complete without a debur tool. Been using the same RCBS WILSON one for over 10 years. And the only brass that gets loaded progressive is 9mm all other pistol and rifle get loaded single stage. I'm young but was taught the old school reloading, and that's the way i'm going to reload.
    Looking for: 32acp mold-- 22 hornet jwords-- 7.62x54r- jwords, boolits, mold-- 7x57 brass, mold---7.62 Nagant-brass-- 8x56r-brass, jwords-- any old firearm laying around ( I'm starting to take gun smithing classes, and I'm looking for pieces I can work on, PM me with your details)

Poor execution of a problem on your part doesn't constitute a problem on mine.

13/14 Trapping season
    Coon-1
    Grinner-3
    Squirrel-3

CH makes a Wilson style one for 45 to 60 caliber. It might work for you. I haven't used it but I like CH. http://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/case-tools/43289
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

In Remembrance
    Has anyone bought one of the tools from ch in the last year or so. I am leery of ordering one now and getting more unusable junk.
    Everything I have from ch is good, but so is my rcbs stuff.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I use this little guy from Lyman: http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/c...e-care-kit.php

I did not pay close to that price. I have no desire to clean up each case mouth by hand. One crank of the handle(for each tool head)and
    the case is done. I will be getting one of the powered ones just not sure which one yet.
    That's the same set of cutters that come with their motorized prep station. Yes, a single revolution is usually all that's necessary. I've had mine for 2 years and have no complaints. The noise level is low enough that listening to TV, radio or music is not a problem and the power exceeds my ability to grip a case with bare fingers.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post

I did not pay close to that price. I have no desire to clean up each case mouth by hand. One crank of the handle(for each tool head)and the case is done. I will be getting one of the powered ones just not sure which one yet.
    Do you deburr the outside in batches, and then the inside, or change the tool head on every case. Neither way would be very desirable to me, the tool would have much more appeal if it had a dual case head, at least to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast