MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: ruger 77 barrel on a #1?

Boolit Bub

ruger 77 barrel on a #1?

is the thread and diameter the same on a m77 bolt rifle the same as a #1 single shot? thinking of re-barreling a #1 and ran across a new take off 77 barrel, will it fit? both are magnums, but any major machining need to be done? thanks xp

Boolit Master
    THread size is 1"-16. Machining would be required to set the headspace correctly and to make the relief for the ejector. You will need the proper ejector for the cartridge class.
    What caliber are you going to chamber?
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Bub
    #1 started life as a blued 7 rem mag. someone before me butchered the stock down to child length and also cut the barrel. I bought a new stainless 375 ruger barrel for it and had it installed by the smith I bought it from. problem is I can't find brass for it without going broke in the process. i have a friend who bought a ruger 77 in 350 rem mag and wants to make it a 300 wsm, so I am thinking of getting his barrel from him.

Quote Originally Posted by xpaholic View Post

I bought a new stainless 375 ruger barrel for it and had it installed by the smith I bought it from. problem is I can't find brass for it without going broke in the process.

i have a friend who bought a ruger 77 in 350 rem mag and wants to make it a 300 wsm, so I am thinking of getting his barrel from him.

FWIW, new .350 Rem Mag brass @ $22.50/box 20 ($1.10ea) is about the same cost as new .375 Ruger brass @ $52/box 50 ($1.04ea), if not slghtly more expensive. .

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/820...uger-box-of-50

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/160...mington-magnum

Last edited by pietro; 05-24-2014 at 09:36 AM.

Boolit Master
    You have 350 brass? It is more expensive than 375 Ruger brass. (My bad, it is cheaper)
    I have a little used No 1 300WM barrel around here, I can't find it now but I was going to take a pic of the No1 threads to show you. I was thinking of doing the same thing once but in the end decided that it would be easier to thread a new barrel than to make a previously threaded barrel work. Not that it can't be done, but...
    This pic from Brownells will show you the difference.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wb1208-Gauging3.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	105881
    That's a No. 1 barrel and a Savage on the right. I think the threads on the Savage are longer than M77.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Bub
    last time I checked midway and several others were out of stock on 375 ruger brass. thanks for posting it is in stock, going to order some now. . I may end up with the 350 barrel also, as I have 2 others and more than enough brass for several lifetimes. xp