RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Need advice for a mold

Boolit Buddy

Question Need advice for a mold

Hi guys.
    I have a question for all of you.
    I have an old Jap Type 38 rifle that has been rechambered to 6.5X257 and I want to shoot cast bullets out of it.
    What mold would you recommend, and why.
    Any experiences pro or con would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm not looking to use any exotic alloys, just plain old WW's.
    Thanks in advance.
    Blkpwdrbuff

In Remebrance

I have the same thing. I have a mess of 6.5 moulds, but thats not my plan at this time. The 6.5 Jap is known to have oversized bores, or so the story goes. In addition to my 6.5 moulds I picked up a 270 Loverin design. Should my bore turn out to be oversized the 270 boolit can be used. I just haven't had time to play with ANY of my guns lately. That little Mannlicher stocked Jap never even got into the woods this fall. God willing, maybe this winter she'll go for a walk on "Porky Patrol" in the sugarbush. Either way a mould of 120-160 gr in the 6.5 Roberts/6.5x257 should be in line of the correct weight. Throat size will be the big thing in determining design and diameter. This is one gun a chamber and throat casting would be of significant use. Wouldn't hurt to drive a slug through the barrel either. That'll at least let you know where you're starting from.

Let us know how it works out please.

Boolit Buddy

Bret, I slugged the bore several years ago when I was shooting condomized bullets in it.
    It would group great at 25 yds but I couldn't keep it on a target at 100 yds. I finally ended up putting up a 4'X8' piece of cardboard up to see where it was shooting.
    After changing the scope, which I thought was the problem, it still did the same thing. So I slugged the bore using some .375 round balls for my .36 Colt Navy.
    IF, and that's a big if, I remember it slugged out at .2635-.264. I'm going to have to do it again because I can't find my notes or the slugs.
    I'm sending it down to my gunsmith in NM to have him install a new Timney trigger with a safety on it so I don't have to use that infernal one on the back of the bolt.
    I'll have him check the crown and the chamber, and the throat.
    Thanks for your reply, lots of food for thought.
    I'll keep you posted .
    Blkpwdrbuff