MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How about starting a thread of "What I'm doing" in the world of cast boolits ?

Boolit Grand Master

Cast about 200 ea of RD 359-190 and 311-165 last night. Sized them this morning and the last batch is ready to come out of the oven now. Hope to have them checked & first coat of LLA drying this afternoon.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

A fine day in the circle of life.

Loaded up the pick-up with shop scrap- spent 209's, chains & sprockets, brake pads, blades, steel wheel weights, old nuts/bolts/screws, busted hinges.....and beer cans.

Off to the scrap yard to sell it.

Squandered it all on half cases of beer and a bottle of wine.

First half rack to my buddy the roofing contractor... and picked up lead. 2nd rack to one of the local tire stores... and picked up WW's. 3rd to another tire store... and picked up WW's. The bottle of wine to the lady down town who does those crazy storage unit auctions, yard sales and the like to run a Second Hand store... ad picked up all the pewter junk she can't sell (who wants someone elses engraving??).

Last half rack in the shop fridge, and enjoyed some while sorting WW's... 7 coffee cans of COW, 4 of SOW, 11 pewter things and I still have a buck and change left over...

There is about 3 inches of steel WW's in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket... 4 empty beer cans in another... and so the circle starts again.

Life is good.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Master

Cast some .600 round balls yesterday morning from mix of COWW ingots and pure lead. Loaded some terrific 3" 12 ga. 2-ball Hogtamer specials this morning. They are specifically for my rifled 870 and puts both balls on target @ 50 yds with a 2"- 4" spread. Two 3/4 oz lead balls delivered accurately is simply an awesome load, and most of the credit for this accomplishment goes to many of the knowledgeable guys in the shotgun forum who have truly done some amazing work.

Giving back to friends and others: cast some round balls and such for black powder shooters (one of whom took a deer with one of mine and gave me some meat for my efforts.)

Refining my alloying skills to produce varying hardness mixes, playing with a new mold (Lee 310 gr. flat nose)

Boolit Master

I'm sandbagging a few thousand for each weapon I own lot more work then you'd think
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Bump to the top!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a pile of molds I haven't cast w/ at all yet. So on Sunday I decided to fire up the pot and cast some samples so I can enter all the info into my spreadsheet. Ran out of time so I was only able to cast w/ a MP 311-440, MP 311-180 HP(just as much of a PITA as the 30 Sil but at least the bullets don't stick to the blocks, NOE 311-188 FN and an Accurate 36-210A. Still have a lot more to cast w/ to get caught up. Having a newborn has really eaten into my free time......imagine that

Bought a flat band Win 94 in 32 Special, so I just bought the RCBS 32-170-RF mold and cast about 60 for work up. Half water dropped, half air cooled. Going to use Runs "simple lube" and see how it performs. Hoping to get a chance to load some up and test them for the upcoming whitetail season here in WI. I also received a Winchester 32-165 mold from a family member, so I will probably cast up some of those to put together a lighter load.

Two weeks ago I loaded up a box of Lee 458-405-RF for my wifes 1895SS.

Need to leement a 312-155-R double cavity and give them a try in my new 300 blk upper.

I also want to try doing some powder coatings...just need to wait for another harbor freight 25% off coupon to come in the email.

I uncovered some LEE C324-175-1R on the bench, in a forgotten corner.
    Will have to apply some lube........
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Fill a dozen 16 oz. peanut jars with boolits, proper alloy, size & PC. 1:10 BO upper is supposed to get here next week so got to figure that one out. Convert & neck turn a bunch of BO brass, remember to pick up more range 223 brass. Size & trim remaining 750 pcs of 308 brass I got from L.L. Convert components into various size holes when the weather & body cooperate. Break those 2 boxes of clays I have stored, make use of the 2 cases of 12 ga. in the garage. Work on the T.P. honey-do list (back burner). Remove the paint from all the brass door hinges in the house & re-install.
    Whatever!

Moderator Emeritus

It was a good day.
    I started by mounting a Scope on a Pre64 Win 70, caliber is 30-06 and I loaded some NOE 310165 FN XCB. while cycling a few rounds in and out of the chamber and studying the witness marks on the boolit, I'm thinking it could very well be a good match...Hoping tomorrow will work for a range visit.

Then I brought the krag out of the safe, a tried loading a few dummy rounds from some .314 samples I got from Calamity Jake, sadly neither look promising. BUT, the boolits I cast from a recent NOE purchase 316299 mold, look much better, I found I will need to size them down to .314 (I lucked out, and a .313 die I got some time back actually sizes to .314) Anything larger, when seated, the brass (neck portion) wouldn't fit into the chamber. what is surprising is the gianormous nose of that boolit (.307) seems like the correct size, according to the faint witness marks the lands leave on it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Loading ammo and lots of it!

Moderator Emeritus

Last fall, I bought 3 older lee GB molds (6 cav) from another member local to me. They got cleaned up and used in the last couple days.

The first was a clone of the Ohaus 45 cal 270gr SWC
    My friend mentioned it'd be good for my 45acp revolver,
    But it drops a pretty large boolit, This one cast kinda large, like .456
    So, yeah, I may not use it for the 45acp, I have my 11mm french Gras rifle
    that slugged out ridiculously over size at .455 So i cast some in a very soft alloy for that. I've had that Gras project on the back burner for years.

The second one of them is the H&G #68 Clone...it has never been heated up, never cast with. I dug up the archive
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...d-45x200-FB-68
    after reading most of that, I hope to all heck, that my friend sent the first mold back and got one of the "fixed molds". After cleaning up the mold, and btw, there was still alum machinings still in the cavities(see photo), The mold functioned most awesomely, maybe the best Lee 6 cav I have cast with, boolits drop at .4525 and nearly perfect round and drop from the mold by just the threat of a tap 193 gr. I hope they cycle and shoot in my 45 autos.

The third was a 358429 clone, casting 175gr. A big Square lube groove. the dang mold won't drop the boolits for nuthin'. So I came up with a technique to deal with it, yesterday while the mold was still hot ...basically picking them out with a screwdriver, it really wasn't that bad. So I got a bunch of them cast, that way. I've got a couple other molds real similar to this, so this one may get sold in the future?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

I cast w/ almost all of the molds I've never used. There are a few stragglers but they're 22 caliber and I have no need to cast for those rifles.

I started making 300 BLK brass a week or two back. Ran into a roadblock when I realized I don't have a FL sizer. I bought a neck sizing die because they will be shot in a bolt gun. Hopefully I get around to buying a die this week.

Boolit Master
    Since I retired last September I have spent more time in the R-room than I have in the last 5 years. I have even been to the range a few times and am going tomorrow. Working on a load for my 03 using the RCBS 30-165 sil and SR4759 and I am setting up my Dillon 650 to load 380's, just got the dies and such a couple of weeks ago.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Got a new RCBS pro melt pot for Christmas and when ever I get a chance I cast for .357 mag, .41 mag, .44 mag, .460 mag, .475 linebaugh, 40 sw and 45 acp. I have almost filled 7 ammo cans. My lead stash has dropped by half. Now I am powder coating some of these bullets. Just starting my own research on what works for me and what doesn't. Casting bullets: it's the journey and not the final destination that counts.

Boolit Mold

Loading for my 2 favorite semiautos----Winchester Model 1907 351 and Remington Model 81---spring thumper

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I'm glad this 1 came back up .

I'm working on a 264 WM and paper patch.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned

what am i doing?

right before my grandpap died, he gave me his 1898 springfield armory 30-40 krag. its been sporterized, mainly the stock and the flip up peep sight and the cut down 22" barrel. i decided that it would be a good time to start loading cast boolits. i don't make my own yet, but i will. i slugged the barrel and got .3095". i looked around and found 165gr ranch dog at .311" ( http://www.carolinacastbullets.com/R..._Outdoors.html ). i also found a .430" 265gr ranch dog for my tc encore in 444 marlin. i bought 400 pieces and i am starting to load. then for christmas, my oldest boy got me a handi-rifle in 45-70. well there goes another 200 boolits(.459") that are 405gr fbfn ( http://www.moyerscastbullets.com/rifle.html ). the weather hasn't been real good, but what the heck.

the 30-40 is keeping me up at night, it shows some real good progress at 50 yards. the 45-70 also shows some real progress with three shots that go 3/4" at 50 yards(open sights). i haven't taken out the 444 marlin because i still have 50 or so 200gr xtp's over a load of trail boss.

i got three irons in the fire, so what do i do? i bet i could find a 1903a3 or a enfield in 30-06 that can do cast boolits.

i think i need help. i still use j-words with the 20 vartarg and 22-250ai and 6.5 creedmoor(all tc encores) and the 270 win(ruger #1).

does it ever stop? since i quit drinking, i'm stroke-abled, i would be glad to have a cup or two of coffee and discuss this!!!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have a 45 ACP I started working some ,a 38 S&W break top to fidget with,and a host of paper patch projects.
    With the Nevada Get Together behind me I started on loads for the NCBS and topping off minimum reserves of the standards. I have a patched Colts ,264 WM, 06' and 7x57 to work out .

I've been casting in 100 lots for the above last weekend and expect the same this weekend
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast