RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How about starting a thread of "What I'm doing" in the world of cast boolits ?

Boolit Buddy
    Good thread! Had one casting session this year...getting my technique down a bit better, still greenhorn caster. I "need" to get a mold to feed my 1911/45, about out of commercial boolits. Would love to get a lube sizer this year, but, the 45/45/10 is doing a good job.
    I need to make some scrap into ingots, but days off and weather don't seem to agree.
    But on a good note, my daughter and I made it to the range today! After decades of my prodding, she finally will go shooting with me, and likes to shoot handguns. But now I have to keep an eye on my m60 smith or it might come up missing. She has trouble sighting, but is doing much better.
    Thanks for a refreshing idea/thread JonB and Wilco!

Moderator Emeritus

Just picked this one up today.

Borrowed a mold from a buddy that I'll be casting with in a few days time just for 45ACP. New bullet for me, new load development. Going to be trying a different powder too. Never used Herco before and scored a few pounds at the local gunshop last month.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Love Life
    Might I recommend the NOE H&G 34 Clone for you 45 shooters? If you coat and want a smooth boolit then I would highly recommend the .453-230-RN from Hardline Industries.

Moderator Emeritus

I have been using the Lyman 452374, H&G 118 and H&G 68 molds for years. Is there much difference between the H&G 34 and the Lyman 452374 aside from 5gr weight? I love new (to me) molds and load development. I think I enjoy load development more than shooting sometimes. Once I find "the load" it seems the fun is done until the next project comes along.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Grand Master

Only been casting a few years but have a project list that will keep me busy (and broke) for several more years. Project 35 Whelen (Ol' Ugly) is going quite well, my 32-20 project is stalled while I contemplate bore options and I have a pretty cool boolit I need to check out in my 45 Colt SAA BP revolvers. Someday I'll get back to the Sharps that brought me to Cast Boolits awhile back. Been studying up on lubes here lately but if I don't quit doing "research" on the GB forum and NOE's site my mould shelf will get mighty crowded.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Love Life
    Probably not enough difference between the two to even matter. I'm just a sucker for a good round nose boolit.

Boolit Master
    I progress an the stage of learning to cast and load 9mm and 300 blackout that does not lead up. I have already been able to make good 40s&W and 45acp cast boolits. I am also working with powder coat in the hopes of being able to make large qtys of 9/40 ammo. As a USPSA pistoel shooter I am hoping to move from "C" class to "B" class soon in production, I currently have a 59.72 average and only need to make 60.

After mastering the 300 blackout I hope to move upto a real 30 caliber rifle.

I wanna get a browning or winchester 1885 when money allows and shoot a couple of the long range matches like the quigley shoot with my dad.

Moderator Emeritus

I made this a sticky and deleted the off topic stuff. Lets keep this just for current projects.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Working on Minies for a rifled shotgun...Already have a smootbore slug load I'm happy with @ 100 yds, the lee 7/8 oz slug i cast - got a satisfactory buckshot load too.
    4y

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I made this a sticky...........
    Sweet!! Lots of great replies gents. Keep them coming.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Working on finding the correct temps my moulds and pot run best at! Also breaking in the moulds and every other piece of loading or casting equipment I own!
    Using Tapatalk

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by pretzelxx View Post
    Working on finding the correct temps my moulds and pot run best at! Also breaking in the moulds and every other piece of loading or casting equipment I own!
    I've been seriously considering getting a PID and maybe getting a mould drilled by NOE for a temp probe. Are you using thermometer and a mould oven?

I too have considered it, but I'm pretty tight on cash at the moment. As soon as I get some saved up its always accounted for. And no, no thermometer, just till it melts and a touch more. I also have a hot plate for the moulds, I set them on and hope it's a good temp and adjust according to the boolits dropping.
    Using Tapatalk

Love Life
    Dang. Making it a sticky sho' nuff kilted it dead!!

Boolit Master

Well, casting for a 300 AAC and come h### or high water gona get it to run in an AR pistol.
    129 gr boolit that has a sharp point, gona be my first shot at powder coating.
    Pics after I get an oven.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Lets see... tumbling brass (seems like it never ends), loading up some J-word 45-70, and hopefully loading my first cast boolits this weekend. 45lc in 3 guns (blackhawk, ranch hand, and judge). pretty excited.

Galena Guru

I'm scaled back tremendously since May 2007 ( house fire , lost all my firearms and reloading equipment and a fair bit of moulds ) ..

These days its playing with a handful of moulds with the Lott , some PP'ng , working up some duplex loads , tinkering with the 480 Ruger and a 400 gr Keith style that was a group buy here around 2007 or so ..

My brother gave my a 9mm Star after the fire , have bunch a ammo and have no desire to reload or cast for it , as I have no desire for a 9 , good snake gun and more easily concealable than the Ruger SRH , plink with it a bit ..

Friend gave me a 336 after the fire and I have dies for it , but no moulds , another project ..

Thing for me is finding time for the range .. Not safe around here any more in my woods ..
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Just started load work up with a new 358009 boolit from NOE for a 35 whelen. It's a 2 cavity mould with a pb and gc boolit in the same mould. Can't wait to work with the plain base and hit a good load with imr4350 already with the gc. Bit slow probably, but accurate. Awesome boolit.

Very sorry to hear about your loss HollandNut.

Boolit Grand Master

Just a spectator today. On "holidays" when I have to work I allow myself to hang out here to pass the time. Finally found some brass for my "new" rifle (thanks 45coltnut!) so should have everything together by this weekend. I'll polish some brass and size a few 360318's tonight to make me feel better about the wasted day.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast