MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How about starting a thread of "What I'm doing" in the world of cast boolits ?

Boolit Mold

I am currently tooling up. I can't wait to start casting but I am just reading, learning, watching videos and receiving all of my tooling I should be able to start by next weekend.
    I have the capacity to learn from my mistakes, and I will learn a lot today.

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Been casting a pile of .45s and 10MMs. I'm trying powder coating my cast bullets for the first time as well.

Boolit Mold
    I have been working on a load for a 45 colt lever gun.

Boolit Grand Master

I just finished de-priming, citric and cob cleaning, sizing, removing the mil primer crimp, and trimming over 3000 55.6 brass. My fingers are sore and my arm hurts, and there is chamfering and deburring yet to go.
    Do you think those new ARs will appreciate the effort just to feed them?
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Moderator Emeritus

I just finished casting a pot full.
    some NOE 402-160RN for my buddy Joe
    and some Lee 401-175-TC for my stock.

next up:
    sorting several lbs of "new-to-me" 357 Mag cases that have been tumbled/polished...and sorting some that I've fired.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I was given a 25# chunk of Pb.
    I guess I need to turn the exhaust fan on and get to work.
    Probably turn out 1k, 30cal heads for some subsonic shooting.
    Non satis scire

I started working with rifles and powder coated bullets in a 358 AR-15. A lot of fun working with that stuff. Got the 200 RCBS Plain Base bullets up to about 2,400 as a fire forming load and shooting .5 inches with 1680 which is pretty fair.

Neighbor at the farm told me yesterday that he has wild hog sign behind his house, so we might have some hogs to shoot with the 358.
    Ed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	358 200 PC.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	175013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	359 MGP w 200 PC .5 group.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	175014
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Nice!

Moderator Emeritus

I visited the Range today. All my range visits in the last year or so, have had a purpose - more than just plinking. I miss the old times when I'd go to the range alone or with friends and to just plink. Today I was just plinking. I drove out there not knowing if the range would be open or not, as our club's agreements with two neighbor farms, is they can close the range if they are out in the corn fields. Farmers in MN are harvesting and plowing in full force this time of year, so the range being open is hit and miss. I got lucky today, as the range was open.

I brought out my cherished 5" P&R S&W 27-2 in polished nickel and some 357 Mag "lite" ammo (4.0 gr of Bullseye) I loaded long ago. It was loaded with some cast 358429 boolits that were part of a batch that I cast long ago...from my 8th casting session, Yes I kept track...and still keep track. They were cast with COWW and weighed a whompin 169gr. I sold that 4 cav Iron mold long ago, I probably should have kept it? After today's shootin, I just couldn't miss. I brought paper along, but it never got out of the carry case...as I brought some empty spraypaint cans..and proceeded to filled 'em full of holes...What fun. The only problem was, I only brought 100 rds of ammo. There was another hundred on the shelf, I wish I would have brought them also.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

I've been researching my butt off trying to figure out which mold to go with for some subsonic 300blk plinking rounds that will be shot suppressed though my 8" AR15 SBR. I think I've finally found the winner with the NOE 311-198-SP 2 cavity PB (311365)
    You do not fight out of hate but rather the love and compassion you have for those you are trying to protect.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I've been a mould buying fool .
    Cramer #45 (314-161 SP)
    Attachment 182688
    NOE copy of 454424 and an original
    Attachment 182686
    270-145 NOE , 500-340 HB Lee , NOE 454-250 , NOE 279-124.
    Attachment 182687

I have a couple of 35s all in the last 3-4 months .
    Last edited by Harter66; 12-13-2016 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Caption correction
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master

As soon as my fingers get feeling back, I'll sort another bucket of WWs that are waiting.

Moderator Emeritus

I have been working on a Saeco 411 mold...a steel mold that gets tinning?
    anyway, I think I have that worked out...I hope.

After I de-tinned it, and applied a blue solution to those it...twice, I set out to casting with it this afternoon, and went to refill the pot with COWW ingots. I keep a 50 cal ammo can of COWW ingots in the casting room...it was empty. I recall the last time I filled it, I used the last of a batch I got from a member here. So I go to where my stash is piled, start going through boxes...and I find two MFRB's fill of ingots I don't recall ever buying from a member who sells here once in a while...if wasn't labeled as COWW, but had a note saying 97-.5-2.5 (the actual numbers went out to 3 digits past the decimal point) as was scanned by the seller...So I'm assuming it's COWW. All I know, it's like Christmas when two boxes of alloy appear, seemingly out of no where. YEE-HAW
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Grand Master

As soon as it warms a bit I have one more bucket of donated WWs to sort and If it stops raining there are 2 buckets of COWW already waiting for the melting.

Boolit Grand Master

Wife took some old aluminum siding and other metal to the recycle and got $10 for it and brought back 30lbs worth of lead flashing scrap for $20. Not too many lose money going to the dump except casters I guess. I melted the scrap into nice shiny ingots on a rainy New Years.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Not that much, got some early inheritance back 3, 4 years ago that allowed me to get back into shooting. Mostly rifles, a couple of pistols. My biggest thing is no jacketed bullets allowed. If I shoot it I cast it. I do have about 950 jacketed 55 grain pills for the .223. "Just in case"

Same for shotgun, I wanted to be able to cast all my own, so a Lee 12 ga 7/8th's oz came to live, along with a 20 ga round ball mold. A few of the sharpshooter buckshot molds. And then I started dripping my own shot.

Not going anywhere very fast, don't expect to get there in style. But Image is nothing and function is everything. If it works, it works.

Boolit Buddy

I have reached a point in the house repairs/redecorating/rearranging that I have started on a new reloading bench. Yesterday, I cleaned up the cart I use for casting, and made room on the patio to work on things. At least the bench and the cart are casting or firearms related.
    OeldeWolf
    who may yet be kicked out of the Republik of Kalifornia for owning too many firearms.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain, to eat only vegetables!

Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday, I went looking for a RCBS 38 WC mold I thought I had in my stash, to offer another member, that I thought was "extra" to my needs.? I go look for it, I can't find it, I obviously have sold it.
    Anyway,
    While I was looking around, I find a minty Ideal 358432 4 cav WC mold. I don't know where this came from, I have no recollection of even buying this? I have kept real good notes of all the molds I've owned (and sold) in one paper notebook, and every casting session since I started casting in 2010, in another paper notebook. I couldn't find 358432 or Ideal WC or anything in either notebook (my early notes, while complete, weren't too specific). Due to no documentation, I'm thinking I've never cast with this 358432 mold before, so I guess I know which mold I'll be casting with next. The lead pot is heating as I type this. It's kind of like getting a new mold ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How did it turn out Jon?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast