Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Okay, I'm going weird!!

Boolit Master

Okay, I'm going weird!!

Just got in a cool mold from a great member here. Don't know if it's gonna work or not but I challenge any of you to produce a boolit this weird!
    They fall 189g and right at .311, sized them .311 with a Hornady check. These are going in a little Brazilian mauser rebarreled in .308 winchester. I'm starting at 10.0g of Unique and gonna work up from there. I've got a bottle of Lee mule snot that I have been meaning to thin down. I've got more than I'll ever use, so instead of thinning it, I'm going to dip these in the thick tumble lube, just covering the driving band. Then stand them up and let them dry. It might work, it might not. Alls I know is, nobodys gonna have a load like this at the range!!!!

The short bearing surface is perfect for the 308 neck!

My only real issue might be the nose. I won't know till I try to chamber one. It measures .301-.302. That might be a bit snug, I don't know. I figure, the nose section riding the bore is a radius which makes for minimal contact. If I have decent neck tension, I should be able to close the bolt and shove her right on in. It'll certainly engrave and center the cartridge! OAL is gonna be on the long side but this rifle has pretty long magazine so I don't see an issue there.

It'll be next week before I can get to the range but I cast some today and just HAD to show it off!
    ...Now, come on! Who's got thoughts on this weirdo???

Boolit Master
    I've seen that bullet before ,but can't recall where/when. Might have been a pistol sillewet shooter in the early 80s ,???? Looking forward to your results. Concept is kinda interesting, bet you'll be the only one at the range with that one!

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like JL Herters wasp waist bullets from the 1960's.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    It's a copy of the wasp waist. NEI calls it a Hornet.

It's kinda nice to have something like this. I've been so serious trying to make "THE LOAD" in my other .308, a fun break from the norm is much welcome!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt.mike View Post
    I popped this up and glanced at the photo out the corner of my eye the boolit reminded me of a femine hygine product.. Hoollly cow I'm jealous
    I was wondering if it had variable speeds.

Boolit Master

Got to admit, that one made me smile when I saw it! Like to hear how it performs.

Boolit Master
    The old 'area rule' concept, wasp waist, actually used on the Republic F105. A valid concept in aerodynamics.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Man

I'm not an aero engineer, but was a fighter pilot for 20 years and my recollection in the aerodynamics class in pilot training was that the "wasp waist" on the early fighters was to maintain an even aerodynamic cross section where the wings joined the fuselage. The cross section of the wings combined with the wasp waist to maintain the same aero cross section as the rest of the fuselage. That class was many years ago so I may be totally out to lunch.

Boolit Master
    I know I'm looking forward to seeing how those aerodynamics come into play as I stretch waaaaaay out there to 50 yards. LOL!

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...c-missile-tail

I found multiple references to board members getting good accuracy with the original copper clad bullets.

Really looking forward to hearing about this one,,,
    Last edited by Hamish; 05-21-2014 at 10:52 PM.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

Very interesting. I've seen this type of boolit mentioned but had no idea it was shaped like that. Cool! Looking forward to the range reports.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Thread tagged...I gotta see the results...
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Strange looking Boolits!

That is one radical boolit. Gonna be an interesting test for sure. I'm 60 years old and have never seen anything like it. Can't wait to see how all this turns out! There's absolutely something new to me on these forums everyday.

Boolit Grand Master

Would be interesting to recover some fired bullets undamaged and see what the small nose section is doing as to expansion behind the bore riding area. I have seen that style boolit before I think on NEIs site. I shoot a similar boollit in my 40-65 but it is a full bore riding nose. It shoots very well. Definitly worth giving a try and a little experimenting with it.

I have the NEI mold in that style of boolit and have shot it in my 308,hit the 50 yd target.Will do better with more powder.

Boolit Master

I'm curious how hard you can push it with that minimal bearing surface.

Boolit Master
    I'm wondering if slump from too soft an alloy can be this boolit's worst enemy?
    I cast from air cooled wheel weights. I'm betting if I were to drive them fairly hard, they'd either slump or deform unless I toughened up the alloy a bit.

Boolit Master

I water drop Lyman #2 alloy for a Ranch Dog mold with the thicker than usual TL grooves and I've wanted to cast some softer for plinking. So I wondered if the "rings" of TL grooves would slump down if I pushed them at all to far and it didn't seem to matter. But then I had more bearing surface to conform to the bore. I would worry more if it's too "butt heavy" to stay true in flight. Seems like it would do better with more meat on the drumstick.

Boolit Master

Right at the top of coolest/ strangest thing I've seen in a spell, keep us posted I might be up for trying something similar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast