RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Pro 1000

Lee Pro 1000

Anyone have any experiences trouble shooting a Lee Pro 1000? Got one last year and though it maks a pretty plant stand someday I'd like to get the thing to work thew way ity's supposed to. Watched all of the videos on Lee.com Still having problems ???????

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    What problems in what caliber?

It takes some futzing, but I got mine to make .357s pretty well.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Thumbs up

Old Iron sights, I LIKE you signature
    Dear Govt: I'm not Jesus. Stop Punishing me for other people's sins!

Banned

no troubles shooting one just go with a hard cast bullet. Personaly i wouldnt waste a bullet on one id just toss it in the pond.

Boolit Mold
    Got one last year and though it maks a pretty plant stand someday I'd like to get the thing to work thew way ity's supposed to
    If you want to sell it cheap, let me know.

I've had a little experience with one. One of the toy stores I frequent had one for cheap. "Used" -- I suspect the guy opened the box, looked inside, decided it looked too complicated, and traded it for something else.

Minimal problems so far, mostly with the priming system. Lube the priming system with graphite and don't let it get too low. Watch the primer feed chute -- you'll be able to see the column advance. If it doesn't, stop and fix it. You'll be able to feel the primer seat. If it feels funny, you'll probably want to clear the press and check it out.

I'm not using the case feeder, and I've removed the case slider thing (which you only really need if you're using the case feeder).

What problems in what caliber?
    Ditto. So far I've loaded .40, .45 ACP and 9mm Makarov on it, many hundreds of rounds.

Boolit Master

I had two of them at one time years ago. When new they ran pretty good, but once they got worn, dirty, etc they became harder to get along with. The nylon ratchet thingy that advances the shell plate wears and as stated earlier the primmer feed is a problem. I sold both of mine when I got a Dillon 550B and I have never looked back.

I have a few of em. Mine gets a bit finicky with 38spl and 40sw. For the money its my only option to load progressively. I actually ended up with three of the darn things. One I bought new and 2 i bought used for 50-75 dollars with spare dies and accessories.

What is it doing/not doing? Do you have the spare parts that came with it? if your having index problems try a touch of lube on the index rod. Those nylon gears don't wear out as fast if you keep the rod lubricated. i drop a bit of gun oil on it every time i do a run. (300-500 rounds)

Also- don't be afraid to change the handle position (sounds dumb) but if you have the handle so it bottoms out the press (so the handle is up) so its about two inches from vertical, towards the user, the press runs smoother- I think it is because its easier to feel priming with the handle like this, and for me it runs a bit more naturally.

Like others have said, when they are dirty- they make for headaches.

Boolit Buddy
    I've reconditioned one that was gifted to me and it runs so well I got another used one. Loaded multi-K of a couple different calibers on each. Please supply details of the problems you are experiencing.
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

I have one of the first,since I clean cases first,I deprime clean and prime by hand.after that there is no problem.
    I think most people have a mental problem like (its cheap so it wont work)and it does not.you have to get a rythem with the press and sometimes you have to have the ability to tinker
    since Lee sells a lot some one must like them. all brands seem to have some problem.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Buddy
    Its a man of delicate sensibilities that can load on a Pro 1000.

Marc

Boolit Master

Yep. And I have Kittens on my Gun Safe too...

so there. PtHBLPTH!
    1.618034 Fnord

Boolit Buddy
    Nice, Ironsights! I have three Pro 1000s and my bride has three kittens. I think she buys a cat everytime I buy a Pro 1000. I need to slow down.

Marc

OldIronsights-

is your gun safe a converted fridge? it looks interesting. Details if you don't mind?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by TAWILDCATT View Post
    I have one of the first,since I clean cases first,I deprime clean and prime by hand.after that there is no problem.
    I think most people have a mental problem like (its cheap so it wont work)and it does not.you have to get a rythem with the press and sometimes you have to have the ability to tinker
    since Lee sells a lot some one must like them. all brands seem to have some problem.
    I do this to. I have had a pro 1000 fo 45 ACP for just over a year. I guess I have loaded about 1000 rounds on it. I am very happy with it. I have the parts to change it to 357\38sp but it is working so well that I am lothe to change it.
    I guess I will have to keep my eyes open for a used one.
    Mel W.

Boolit Mold
    I have the parts to change it to 357\38sp but it is working so well that I am lothe to change it.
    I guess I will have to keep my eyes open for a used one.
    The instructions make it look kind of complicated. It's really not. It's pretty trivial. (Hint, with the shellplate off, don't turn the shellplate holder over....)

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    The instructions make it look kind of complicated. It's really not. It's pretty trivial. (Hint, with the shell plate off, don't turn the shell plate holder over....)
    I load and shoot the 45 more then the 357. I went for the shell plate holder for 357. So I don't have to take the plate off. I will give it a try when I really want to shoot a bunch of 38s.
    Mel W.

Boolit Mold
    I have a Pro 1000 set up for the 45 ACP . I really haven't had any troubles with it. I've found that most problems are caused by short stroking the press. The primer feed can be touchy when it gets low it doesn't want to feed right. What trouble are you having with your press?

Same here, .45 acp and the only problem so far is when primers get too low it defuncts everything and also if the fingers for the bullet droper stay with bullets in it they lose there spring and may load a bullet sideways...go figure!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trickyasafox View Post
    OldIronsights-

is your gun safe a converted fridge? it looks interesting. Details if you don't mind?
    It's actually a converted FREEZER. Refrigerators don't have locks.

All I did was find a dead one with a functional lock (free! for the haulage...) , gut it, pull the compressor and add some barrel rests.

The Door shelves are great for reloading supplies, and cases of ammo fit nicely under the bottom where the compressor once was.

It's not really theft-proof by any reasonable standard, but it IS virtually fireproof, and has the advantage of "Security through Obscurity"... i.e. Concealment vs. Hard Cover.
    1.618034 Fnord

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    The instructions make it look kind of complicated. It's really not. It's pretty trivial. (Hint, with the shellplate off, don't turn the shellplate holder over....)
    The instructions could have been written better by an illiterate Lithuanian who had his scribles translated to English by a Chinese Pesant Cat Farmer.

I really don't know what they were thinking with those non-instructions.
    1.618034 Fnord

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast