Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: powder measure recomendation

Boolit Buddy

powder measure recomendation

I am looing to draw on everyone's experience. I need a stand alone powder measure for 45 lc handgun loads. which one do you guys recommend? right now the only powder I can find is bullseye. I know I will need to be super careful but Its all I have. I have the lee dippers but would like to speed up the process a bit.

Boolit Buddy

The RCBS kit I bought back in the mid 80's had the uniflow powder measure in it, with both large and small drums. I put the small drum in it and have not pulled it out since. I have loaded everything from 9mm with bullseye to 30-06 with 4895. If you have to buy new or the used one is kinda dirty you may want to run several ounces of graphite powder through it first to help smooth it out.

Sooner or later you may want to try some IMR4227 in that LC, just sayin'.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    believe me I would rather use a slower burning bulkier powder but I haven't been able to get hold of anything else so far.

A buddy has the RCBS Uniflow and loves it.

I use Lee's Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure for my .45 Colt loads, both mild and "wild". The mild load uses Titegroup, and the "wild" load uses a hefty charge of 2400. Also, I use this same model for .38 Special loads using Bullseye. With all three of these powders, this powder measure has done well.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

Boolit Buddy
    can use it stand alone. I don't have room for a press?

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Love my Saeco's
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

LEE Perfect powder measure screwed to a piece of plywood and some lead ingot's to hold it down when in use.

Boolit Grand Master

If you are comfortable with plastic go with the Lee unless you will use a lot of ball powders. The Uniflow is a good one, I like my Belding and Mull, I use it for almost everything now except the small pistol charges. They are being made again. I don't know if anyone is currently making a Pistol Powder measure using interchangable bushings but the ones I have are my quickest and most accurate. Mine probably qualify as antiques, though.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

My all time favorite are Hollywood Gun Shop powder measures. They are old, heavy, and work great. The bad thing is they aren't made anymore so you have to catch them on eBay when they come up. My second favorite for rifles are Reddings. They are accurate and still in production. They are kind of pricy, though. My second favorite for pistols are old Herter's measures, especially models 40 and 45. I don't know what it is, but there is just something about them that works. The Hollywoods are going to be pretty expensive but you can sometimes find Reddings and Herter's for cheap (if I don't get to them first ).
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

May Liberty Increase!
    I have an older Hornady pistol powder measure (the one with a slide and bushings), Lyman 55, Hornady LNL with pistol drum, Harrell's Schuetzen/pistol measure, Lee Perfect (their name for it, not mine), and a Quick Measure.

For off press use with pistols, the Harrell's is my favorite. It's a work of art and meters very well. The price reflects these qualities too, but if you've got the money you won't be sorry. I will note that I only use ball or flake powders for pistol, so I can't comment on how this measure works with extruded powders.

The Lyman 55 is a good all around measure.
    WANTED: CH AutoChamp Mark IV, V, or Va - PM me if you've got one you'd like to part with.

Boolit Buddy
    Uniflow will work fine. A good powder for the 45 Colt is Trail Boss. It's fluffy giving total case fill and eliminating any double charges, and makes for a nice mid-power load.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    The LEE perfect measure is a good unit and set it up like Zuke described and it is very portable. I have 3 measures and all work good, The Lee, a "55" and my old Reading.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master
    I think just about anything will meter bullseye. My stand alone's would be overkill for what you want. I would comb the threads to see if any of measures your thinking about may have a problem metering a future powder you may want to try.

For me, their isn't a powder I don't like, but found that some measures hate it, (i.e., 800x for example or very fine ball powders). I have two stand alone's and most of the posters here utilize more than one measure for different things.

Take care

r1kk1
    r1kk1

Boolit Master

Have a Uniflow, Ideal #55, and the Lee PPM. I use the Lee more than the rest.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Lyman 55 and really trust it and like it. I heard a lot of people don't because they think it's hard to adjust. I can adjust to different weights and powders pretty fast. Once set, it stays put. The Lyman is all I have, but would like to have a Redding too, just not feasible to me right now($) because the Lyman does everything I need done. I've seen a few 55's for sale lately also.

I have a Lee Perfect Powder Measure and Auto Disc Pro, a Lee dipper set that I don't use anymore, a Lyman 55, several RCBS Uniflow's, and a brand new Hornady LnL with both drums. For press mount, with general every day plinking loads, I like the autodisc. When loading in blocks, I have started really liking the Hornady. Not sure why, but I can throw with a smaller deviation than I can with the RCBS, within +/- .1 grain. Anyone want to trade a used Uniflow for a LnL, give me a holler. And the Hornady doesn't leak H-110 all over the place like the PPM. With the pistol drum installed, it is very easy to dial in an exact weight you want. Have not used it for loading rifle yet.

Boolit Grand Master

Ask a question like that and you're likely to get as many answers as powder measures made. Check this out, scroll way down to the measure comparison. After I read the comparisons I bought a C-H 502...

http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_6-4_Powde...20Measures.htm
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy

RCBS Uniflow w/micrometer attachment, meters all powders I use well (W231, Unique, BE, and similar, use it with 9mm, 45acp, 45lc) and various rifle powders...only other pm experience was back in the day with a Herters, which was tedious to adjust but metered ok...fwiw...

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Another vote for the Lee Perfect. I can't believe how much I like this cheap and cheap looking measure!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    Love my Saeco's
    I use these also and really like them! They meter everything from X-Terminator little tiny round balls to that flakey TrailBoss with excellent repeatability.

Friends have the Lee measure and have been having good luck with it. Static is always a problem here in AZ, since is is mostly plastic. But running a whole load of powder thru it the 1st thing gets graphite in there and helps feeding.

banger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast