Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets see your hunting 336 pics

Lets see your hunting 336 pics

Here's mine it my first kill with a 30-30.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-1-14 deer.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	105497
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails deer heart.jpg  

35 Remington in a 1.8" case to make it indiana legal, not cast. This year I will be hunting with cast out of my 35 rem!

Last edited by Djones; 05-20-2014 at 10:00 PM.
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Boolit Master

.356 Win re-bore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Little Snowy deer.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I don't have any photos of mine handy, but find it interesting that every one posted so far has a scope. I know I can't be the only dinosaur here who still uses plain old iron sights. Mine is a '71 with a 20" barrel and chambered in .30-30, and with the issue irons.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

I have to say it, theres something sick and wrong with putting a scope on a lever gun. I cant do it.
    I bought a Marlin 30-30 that had a scope on it and the first thing I did when I got home was pull that thing off.

That being said, great pics guys. I've shot alotta deer with 94 Win but not my Marlin. I did shoot a big hog with it, but I dont think I have a picture with my gun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    I have to say it, theres something sick and wrong with putting a scope on a lever gun.
    careful now, you don't want to hurt someones feelings

Boolit Master

Marlin 336 in 35 remington. 190 grain Ranch dog boolit. Limpopo Province RSA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BirthdayHog.jpg  
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master
    Reloader,
    I completely agree, BUT, I assume you and I are still young enough to see irons well. I won't put a scope on mine while I can see the sights, but if I live long enough and my eye sight goes down hill, I will. And I am glad the guys above did mount scopes, cause weather its a choice or a preference, I would rather see them hunting than stuck in front of the computer screen reading about our hunts wishing there was something they could put on their guns and join us. I hope that makes sense, and I will pick on people for scoping a level-gun, but won't hold it against them.

So as I was saying, who in their right mind would put a scope on a lever-gun???

I couldn't find the picture of my wife with her 336 in .30-30 and her deer, but I did find a picture of grandson Sam using grandma's 336 .30-30 (with squib load) to shoot at his first ground squirrel.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0914 (800x600).jpg  
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Banned

That's the best picture so far, Doughty. Good on you for starting that boy off right.

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of it, but I shot a pretty nice buck and doe in the same day with a 1950 or so vintage Marlin in .35 Remington about 16 years ago. It was not with cast, but a good day for me nonetheless. I had been shooting cast in the rifle by then, but still doubted my ability to make it work on deer with cast at the time.

My Marlin pre dates scope holes and Micro Groove, so I have a Williams peep on it. I'm not opposed to scopes on lever guns, just couldn't bring myself to make holes in this one.

Boolit Bub
    Scope or not, those are some nice deer and nice pics. Thanks for sharing!

Boolit Master
    I put a Skinner express sight on my 336C .35 Remington. Needs a higher front sight which I have bought but have not had time to install yet. Danged work keeps interfering with my fun. That one will be hunting with me this Fall. That said, I do have a scope on my Marlin .30-30 and used it to shoot a nice hog. Can't find the picture.

Doc

Vendor Sponsor
    I own a Savage 99 in 284 win, 300 Savage and two in 250-3000 Savage. Also a 24" 94AE in 7-30 Waters. Why on earth would I want to limit those fine shooting firearms to iron sight ranges? Just sayin'. The 284 has a Vortex 3-9, variable fitting for the caliber, and all the others sport older Weaver Ktypes and look quite at home. Blanket statements fit like wet blankets.

Either we all hang together or surely we will all hang separately.

Boolit Master
    If it's your gun use it as you see fit.

If someone else does not like it ...... they can get their checkbook out.

I don't like butching guns ..... but reasonable sight aids have been around as long as guns have been. And many of those same guns either left the factory in their day with something not in the catalog. Alternately, the guns were fitted with sighting aids soon after leaving the place of manufacture.

After all, old eyeballs have been around all along.

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    Hope I didn't offend anyone with the whole scope vs irons thing, and apologize if I did. I was just trying to stir up a little discussion and friendly ribbing, which I'd much rather do with any of you around a camp fire than over the computer, but will gladly settle for this since it would take one huge campfire to fit all of us. And I would love to hunt with any of you, even if you do mount glass on a classic design rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    I have to say it, theres something sick and wrong with putting a scope on a lever gun. I cant do it.
    Afraid my 336, 1894 & 1895 all wear optics, if its any consolation they are all fitted with quick release ring and bases that allow the use of iron sights. Only lever without optics is a little erma 22 that was purchased for lever action silhouette. It got an upgrade to a Williams fool proof with click adjustment, the others also get used with iron sights for lever sil but 90% of the time when hunting there will be a scope on them.

Heres one of my son with a 30/30 and his first deer from a couple of years ago

Vendor Sponsor
    In the interest of lively conversation and discourse I submit these photos of a model 94ae xtr with "God forbid" a old weaver. I think it looks quite elegant and is a good match.

Name:	7-30model94_zpsc4763b57.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	106584

Name:	94butt_zpsc351de0c.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	106583

Had to include the pic of the buttstock. I ordered this rifle sight unseen back in 1985 and it showed up looking like that!

Lonegun, you are welcome around my campfire anytime.
    Last edited by ammohead; 05-30-2014 at 08:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    Ammohead,
    That is nicer wood than on any of my Winchesters or Marlins. The closest would be a Marlin 1895 with a laminated stock, but as nice as laminated can look, there's nothing like natural grain like yours.

Boolit Mold
    Nice deer. But the last time I was hunting 336, It was at a pawn shop and it was a 1950 35 cal. Hate to say it but it got away. Talked too much and some one else stepped in for the kill.
    2nd Amendment assures our family pool time Recreational Warehouse is safe and protected

Good for you, trocker!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast