MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 30-40 issues

Boolit Master
    The 7.2 grs of Red Dot was a nice, mild load that still rang the gong at 100 yds. Grouping was good at 50 yds (I still have to set the front sight permanently). The rifle definitely likes the fatter bullets. I'll step it up to The Load (13 grs RD) next time out. Thanks for that batch, gnoahhh.
    I've been reading about the 311284 mold. Interesting.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ds-from-Midway

You should check out the NOE version too Battis, bullets from mine drop with a .302" nose. Some have reported undersized noses on recent Lyman production.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Nuclear cleaning option suggestions needed...
    I loaded up a batch of rounds using 11 grs Red Dot with 170 gr bullets and 215 gr bullets. Now, 7 grs of Red Dot with the same bullets worked pretty well, but the holes were all over the place with 11 grs. I decided to do a chamber cast again, but first, really clean the rifle. The more I cleaned it the dirtier it got. I let it soak overnight in an ammonia/vinegar/soap mixture and scrubbed some more. Finally I think I have it reasonably clean.
    I've read dozens of posts with cleaning suggestions but which ones really works? Brake fluid, transmission fluid, naval jelly, bronze wool...any suggestions?
    Last edited by Battis; 06-08-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    Did you recrown the muzzle yourself?
    Yes. I took a tungsten carbide countersink and some Balistol to the muzzle and slowly turned the counter sink after I made sure I was lined up straight and even. Three revolutions and I had a nice champher at the muzzle. Really tightened up my groups.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Boolit Master
    It looks pretty straightforward, though some of the posted comments under the video are tough on old Larry.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OorpZlG28fI
    Last edited by Battis; 06-13-2014 at 07:24 AM.

Great thread

USMC E-5 69-72
    Paypal is an anti-2nd amendment organization

Boolit Grand Master
    My 314299 boolit just touches the sizing die on he mold lines. This is with 50/50 WW and range lead. My mold.
    Every mold is a hair different.
    Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    My non-scientific, non-chamber case, non-slug pounded way of determining which bullet size best fits the throat.

I am not a science type, nor much of a mechanical type of any kind. I tend to find my own way to do things with out regard to such things as casting, slugging and the like.

Over the years, I have accumulated 30 caliber sizing dies that run from .309 to .314 in .001 increments with a few in between the whole numbers. I take a large cast bullet and size it larger than I think I will need. I then load it in a dummy round and chamber it in my rifle. I take a look at the bullet with a strong light and a magnifying glass. If, it shows lead shaving of any amount. I size another bullet .001 small, load another dummy round and repeat. When I chamber a round that shows no lead shaving, but only a slight burnishing of the bullet surface, that is what I use. You could probably go .001 smaller and still do just fine.

This ain't science or engineering, but it works for me. An actual bullet in an actual case, chambered in an actual rifle IMHO is better than all the number in the world on a piece of paper.

I am sorry for the multiple posts on this subject. I don't want to sound like an arrogant jerk, but some of you guys showed an interest in learning about this stuff. I didn't learn any of this stuff on my own. I learned it from those who had traveled the road before me. I tested it out and found it to be true and it enabled me to get just about any rifle to perform well with cast bullets with a minimum of frustration, hair pulling and failure.

Bullet fit is the place cast bullet accuracy starts, but not where it ends. You must still consider;

1. Bullet style as it pertains to the internal profile of the barrel and it's rifling.
    2. Bullet temper vis-a-vi, the pressure of the expanding gas.
    3. The twist of the rifling vis-a-vi the length of the bullet and it's velocity.
    4. Bullet lube that either works or doesn't work.

The above are not in order of importance, but if bullet fit is not correct, then all attention to other factors and details are a waste of time. Get the fit right and start from there.
    The least expensive (most reasonably priced) sizing system I have found is NOE's. You buy the die body, and then purchase sizing inserts for Al's push through sizer. If you are going to be sizing bullets of a number of different sizes or just want to have the ability to size bullets is incrementally NOE's system is the most cost effective. Brodie

Boolit Master
    Battis,
    YOu are asking for RUSTY Bore with soaking overnight with ammonia,/vinegar,etc
    beltfed/arnie

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234