WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Winchester 92

Boolit Master

New Winchester 92

Hi all.Just read an article about Winchester coming out with the 92 in 45 Colt.How do you guys and gals think that this will work out?
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    It'll probably be Japanese made. If you can get past the location of manufacture, I imagine they will be fine rifles. Some cannot get over Japs making such things but they are VERY good at it. Howa is Japanese and they are very well made.

The only reason I don't own my ex-Browning B92 is because of the country of origin. It was very well made and had a slicker action than the Marlin 1894. Its also the only reason I don't have the new Winchester 1873. Kind of like buying a Harley Davidson made in Japan. some things are just not right.

Boolit Master

Well, I hear tale Harley is leaving Wisconsin and moving to Vietnam. They'll be renamed........Charley Davidson.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
    Hi all.Just read an article about Winchester coming out with the 92 in 45 Colt.How do you guys and gals think that this will work out?
    Leo

IMO, pretty good - Since Rossi's been making Model 92's in .45 Colt for about 35 years or so............

Boolit Master
    I was just surfing Lipsey's and it looks like the japchester 92s are all going to have big loop levers...I'd get one of the .357s to go with my .44 B92 but that stupid loop is juuuuuuuust not for me. I don't have streamers or playing cards on my bike, nor curb feelers/fuzzy dice on my car, and I don't want saddle rings & thongs nor big loops on my leverguns, thanks very much...

FWIW, Model 92 levers are readily interchangeable w/o fitting - How I ditched the Big Loop that my M92 as issued with.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Big Bore View Post
    I was just surfing Lipsey's and it looks like the 92s are all going to have big loop levers.
    The Winchester website has listed two variants of the Model 92 for quite some time, and both are available in 45 Colt. Only one has the big loop.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...sp?family=022C

Boolit Buddy
    The quality of the Japchesters are excellent. Miroku has been making them at least since the 80's starting with the Browning recreations of the Winchester's. I have 4 of the Browning models. None of them are found lacking. The only problem I have with the Winchester version recreations is the lawyered up safeties. If you are ok with that you'll be happy with the rifles.

Ed

Boolit Buddy
    I get pretty tired of hearing about "Jap ****". I have a fine Browning shotgun - made in Japan - wins Trap matches. I have a very nice Browning BL22 - made in Japan - wins lever action matches. I also have a .45 Colt rifle made in Brazil - it wins too.

I have a GM car - made in the US - being recalled for safety issues.

Its time to rethink our values.

Boolit Master
    Well said Snaketail.
    The Japanese make very high quality products. I used to think ford hung the moon till I bought a toyota. Then I found out how great they are. Funny thing too, although my particular toyota is all made in japan, all the camry and trucks are made in the USA. Lol

The Japanese work ethic is what we USED to have here. They make incredibly good products.

Boolit Master

All the Japanese/Miroku made guns I've ever seen were so well made that I've wondered if they beat the employees if QA finds anything. The Brownings and Winchesters I've seen are as good if not better guns than I've seen from Belgium or the US. It's sad a little but I keep hoping our own companies will try to meet or beat them. But I don't see that in the latest Remlin I bought a while back. That's been an ouch since the day I bought it.

Boolit Master
    Hi all.Thanks for the replies.Reason for the question was an article in the new "Shooting Times(R)".The way that the article was written,it made this Winny sound like a new or fairly recent caliber
    in the 92.
    And to the op who said they probably beat them if QC finds a problem.From what several friends who worked or were stationed in Japan said,that ain`t too far from the truth.And I don`t mean decades ago.I mean in the last 8 to 10 years,right up to about 18 months ago.
    Leo

Woodbutcher: To your original question - 45 Colt lever rifles have been around quite some time, from multiple manufacturers. They have been successful and are a great idea, especially for shooters that own a 45 Colt revolver. Most (if not all) are modern and can take the Ruger only pressures, which turns them into a whole other category of firearm.
    Last edited by 357shooter; 05-21-2014 at 11:06 AM.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Buddy
    I will probably start a fire storm here BUT, from my experience with 45 Colt in any rifle, I think one would be better off with a 44 mag.
    The 45 Colt is a poor performer, accuracy wise in rifles.
    The interchangeability thing is great but accuracy suffers.
    As for the manufacturing, I have three Winchester ( read Browning) Grade 5,Model 12's,actually two 12's and a 42.
    I use them for skeet and have found them to be far superior to the originals in finish and function.
    No there is nothing like an original, but I can use these with out any pangs of guilt.

Boolit Master
    Anytime a new rifle is marketed. That's a plus period for the shooting public I think.
    A 92 in 45 colt. I can't think of a nicer rifle to chamber that cartridge in. Overall for me the 45 Colt is still the King of the Hill when it comes in a handy small receiver lever rifle. (a little off topic>) I wish Ruger would have thought about chambering their model 96 in 45 Colt or better yet 30-30 even. Look what happened instead> (discontinuance)
    Thanks for the update Leo.

Quote Originally Posted by snaketail View Post
    I get pretty tired of hearing about "Jap ****". I have a fine Browning shotgun - made in Japan - wins Trap matches. I have a very nice Browning BL22 - made in Japan - wins lever action matches.
    Please note that I deleted the offensive word when I quoted someone above. In fact, I'm thinking of starting a thread asking how many people think it is racist.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    My Ross-chester 92 in Colts is ok . It'll be better w/fire formed brass I think, the chamber is sloppy. You don't seem to get much of a gun for $500 anymore.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Please note that I deleted the offensive word when I quoted someone above. In fact, I'm thinking of starting a thread asking how many people think it is racist.
    Read in context it's not racist in any way. IMHO

Sorry for being off topic.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 357shooter View Post
    Read in context it's not racist in any way. IMHO
    My father was a veteran of WWII who fought the Japanese in the Pacific Theater. After the war he frequently used terms like “Jap” and “Chink,” and I know he meant them to be racist.

Dad was a good man. I understood him, and never faulted him; it was war, after all. Eventually he got over it. But the war ended almost 70 years ago, Dad has passed away, and most of us here are too young to have been there.

The term “Japchester” makes me uncomfortable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast