Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners Load Data

Thread: A goal for this forum

Boolit Master

A goal for this forum

There's been a lot of progress in this endeavor over the last year or however long. One of the goals I think we should have is to try and not only figure out a list of powders the dry tumble, but also figure out why those powders do dry tumble. We can find a way to predict unknown powders and see how they will work.

We figured out the polypropylene containers (number 5) are the best ones. There has to be some identifying characteristic that means a powder is better for dry tumbling.

So what do you guys think? Is it the chemical composition? Is it the fineness or coarseness of the powder? Does it have something to do with static properties? Does it have something to do with the difference between the pigment in the actual coding?

I think if anybody can figure it out it would be this group.

I have found that powders with a lower sq ft per pound coverage coat better. Kawasaki green has sq ft coverage of 71.5 sq ft per lb,while mirror blue and super wet black cover 51.5 sq ft per lb.
    Tne blue and black coat much better for me than Kawasaki green.

In addition k green has a cure temp of 340 while blue and black cure at 400 degrees.
    I do not know if there is anything to this, but my results says there is.

Boolit Master
    Good! A hypothesis. Now maybe if we pool our data we can collect some trends that can test this. Where did you get that statistic?

Love Life
    ◦Ask a Question
    ◦Do Background Research
    ◦Construct a Hypothesis
    ◦Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
    ◦Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
    ◦Communicate Your Results

Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    Good! A hypothesis. Now maybe if we pool our data we can collect some trends that can test this. Where did you get that statistic?
    I purchase my powders from All powder,and for each color they give details about the powder, such as cure temp at Part metal temp,and theoretical sq ft coverage per lb of powder.
    I have found the lower the sq ft coverage the better the coating,when tumble coating with black
    Asbbs.
    Part metal Temp is important for good flow of the powder. I will heat up the coated bullets to the specified temp and check bullet temp with a laser type temp sensor before i start the 10 minute bake.
    My results have been fantastic,and in my opinion look as good as es gun results.
    Part metal temp is import ant to get good flow wich covers up the small little marks left by handling bullets with tweezers etc. They come out very smooth and shiney

So,any one else have the same expierences???

It just works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master
    I've noticed from my own experience and also from pictures, the shiner, glossier paints seem to coat better.

Anyone else noticed that?

Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    I've noticed from my own experience and also from pictures, the shiner, glossier paints seem to coat better.

Anyone else noticed that?
    Yes,i have noticed the same thing, Mirrror blue and Super wet black coat perfectly with i coat!